Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Yep. The fact that most people still think that the mask is to protect themselves from others, rather than to protect others from themselves, is kind of a double edged sword.

On one hand, it's a useful misconception because otherwise, I think most people would just expect others to wear the masks. "I'm not sick, so I don't need to wear it." Many wear the mask solely because they think it is some kind of protection for themselves.

If I were religious, I'd swear it is some kind of test. Terrible virus unleashed. And look, here are masks to wear. But there's a catch! It doesn't protect you when you wear it. It protects others FROM you when you wear it. So if everyone thinks of others first, we will defeat the virus. But if enough people think of themselves first, we won't.

We're failing this hypothetical test miserably, by the way...
    It’s America in a nutshell
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    If you're wearing a mask yourself, what difference does it make if someone else doesn't? Don't go out if you're so scared of it.
    If you're sober yourself, what difference does it make if someone else isn't? Don't go out if you're so scared of it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It's like we went from a nation that prided itself on its work ethic to a nation that looks for someone else to blame rather than taking on the work ourselves.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's like we went from a nation that prided itself on its work ethic to a nation that looks for someone else to blame rather than taking on the work ourselves.
    If we paid everyone a living wage and afforded a bit of dignity to the bottom 99% of people living in this capitalist system, a lot less of us would feel the need to supplement our emotional & identity deficits caused by capitalism by weaponizing willful ignorance of COVID-19, science, and empathy. Right now, many people are given the option of a) being in pain and having no future or hope OR b) being in pain and having no future or hope with the temporary relief of expressing their anguish by lashing out, diving into conspiracy theories, and rejecting reality.

The deeper we get into this and the older I get (which seems to be exponentially occurring over the last 8 months), the less attention and judgment I feel toward other average Americans and more attention and judgment I feel toward the minority in power. I may think someone is wrong or even destructive with their opinions but who am I to devote an inordinate amount of my time to squashing someone expressing their anger and pain? They have little power despite their volume. The larger problem, IMO, is those in power who have shaped and continue to shape our reality. You can "fix" every racist and COVID-denier in this country but, so long as the same people are in power, they have the money and power to negate any gains we make from waving the racism/science-denying wand. I'm tired of a majority of politicians, celebrities, comedians, and people who populate our culture dunking on poor, powerless people while rubbing elbows with the people fueling hate and racism for profit from positions of actual power to harm or heal.

Lately, I've been weaning off those voices and trying to build up my in-person network and smaller network so I can stay politically involved and do what I can and avoid the time-suck of it all. I wear my mask anytime I'm out. I give people without masks a wide berth. I'm less interested in arguing with people. Some uncomfortable conversations are needed but I can't get roped into every trap laid out by folks who argue for sport, online or in person. It's fun for a minute to laugh at a fly or get angry at Pence doing what his base wants him to do (lie, bully, be obstinate and defy rules) but did I really need to watch that debate for an hour plus? I don't think so. If I have any power to do anything, I want to exercise it and not be distracted or tired out by the noise.

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-08-2020),Falls City Beer (10-08-2020),Hypnotoad (10-10-2020),WildcatFan (10-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I call wearing a piece of cloth on my face while around people during a global pandemic with a highly contagious disease a small sacrifice for the good of our country and my community. You call it surrendering your liberties.
    I've already stated that the masks are the least of my objections, even though I don't think they do anything.

I object to lockdowns, restricting movement, curfews, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How is this surrendering civil liberties, but speed limits and drunk driving laws aren't? Why can't I drive 150mph if I want to? Or why can't I drive my car regardless of how wasted I am? I mean, drunk driving only kills about 10k people per year. Why would I surrender my civil liberties for something that kills so few people? If requiring a face covering is a violation of civil liberties, then isn't a required covering of any kind a violation? Why can't we just go around naked everywhere? We shouldn't be forced to cover our bodies.
    By this logic any restriction is allowable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Speaking of Bernie:

"The science is clear: Wearing a mask will save lives and defeat the virus sooner. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/5571903002/
    There's no such thing as "the science".

A lot of religious overtones in this thread including fealty to "the science".

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There's no such thing as "the science".

A lot of religious overtones in this thread including fealty to "the science".
    Yes there is lmao, Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yes there is lmao, Jesus Christ
    I think what he’s saying is that there’s not consensus. There’s not an agreed-upon “science.”

12. Likes:

Rojo (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think what he’s saying is that there’s not consensus. There’s not an agreed-upon “science.”
    I grew up thinking fat was bad for you and dinosaurs were lizards.

"The science" is something politicians lean on to back their decisions.

There are many, many, many scientists who are skeptical of the conventional wisdom on C-19. They've just been shut out.

In a non-****ed-up political-media world we'd have a debate.

The fact that the long-accepted idea of herd immunity is "fringe" but cloth bandanas can stop a virus is "the science" is pretty nutty.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There are many, many, many scientists who are skeptical of the conventional wisdom on C-19. They've just been shut out.

In a non-****ed-up political-media world we'd have a debate.

The fact that the long-accepted idea of herd immunity is "fringe" but cloth bandanas can stop a virus is "the science" is pretty nutty.
    The fact that you think the idea of herd immunity is "fringe" or that anyone is saying cloth bandanas can stop the virus is pretty nutty.

No one denies herd immunity is a thing. Not a single person. The argument is, and ALWAYS has been that getting there would mean millions and millions of people being dead, and that's only for the current strain.

The problem here is that you are absolutely clueless.

16. Likes:

M2 (10-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The fact that you think the idea of herd immunity is "fringe" or that anyone is saying cloth bandanas can stop the virus is pretty nutty.

No one denies herd immunity is a thing. Not a single person. The argument is, and ALWAYS has been that getting there would mean millions and millions of people being dead, and that's only for the current strain.

The problem here is that you are absolutely clueless.
    What is your evidence for millions and millions dying? They haven’t approached those numbers 8 months in. Not anywhere near those numbers. With relaxed restrictions all over the world now.

18. Likes:

Rojo (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

First, yes, people do deny this.

Second, this might've been a reasonable objection in March. But we now know that the Covid mortality rate is something approaching that of flu.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    What is your evidence for millions and millions dying? They haven’t approached those numbers 8 months in. Not anywhere near those numbers. With relaxed restrictions all over the world now.
    And we aren't anywhere near herd immunity, either. The evidence is very easy to find. Go to google.

21. Likes:

M2 (10-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?