Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu seaso

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Thanks for letting us know, very normal guy who gets blasted off his ass on a nightly basis and screams lunatic nonsense into the void on some random baseball message board.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Hey, it's October! Where are the mass vaccines for everyone?

Guess we all know now that was a Fantasy World all along.

Back to reality, we are still looking at March at the earliest, as predicted by common sense last March.

In the meantime, December's and January's COVID numbers will make us wish we had the numbers from back in April.
    No one on here predicted mass vaccines in October. You took umbrage with me saying Trump would try to get some released to limited populations in October (before the election). He still is, I have no doubt. You seem to be taking a victory lap here but do me one favor. Show me who said mass vaccines will be out in October.

Your prediction was October 2021 (if we are lucky you said). Now that does seem to have changed.

We all have are predictions on this. I’m just trying to keep the record straight.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 10-13-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The Covid Panic of 2020 - how we'll remember this.

After the Red Scare a lot of people liked to imagine they didn't take part.

But the AFL-CIO, NAACP and even the ACLU DID take part.

If you've ever wondered how you would've reacted to a past moral panic, maybe you're now getting a good idea

It's not easy and it's not fun.
    Or maybe we'll remember the 215,000 and plus people who needlessly died. I tend to believe this will be what will be remembered.

Oh is that how we """"think""""? Thanks for letting us know, very normal guy who gets blasted off his ass on a nightly basis and screams lunatic nonsense into the void on some random baseball message board. I’m sure we’d all be in better shape if we followed your lead.
    So what would you do to handle the US’s current situation? In the past you’ve expressed at least some doubt about the measures taken that have closed large portions of our economy. Or do you think our current approach is working?
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-13-2020 at 07:30 AM.

I didn't even know there was a University of Washington. Get out of here with this.
    Lol wut
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    So what would you do to handle the US’s current situation? In the past you’ve expressed at least some doubt about the measures taken that have closed large portions of our economy. Or do you think our current approach is working?
    It's too late, in my opinion.

This is another classic tale of the Ant and the Grasshopper.

It's possible of course, that nothing could have been done to stop it. But we had our chance this spring. And whatever it is that we did or didn't do, it didn't work.

So here we are. The cat is out of the bag. And yet there are still some among us trying to say there is no cat.

I'll tell you the next few goal-post moves ahead of time though:

- First it was "I don't know anyone who had COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Then it was "I don't know anyone who has COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Then it was, "I don't know anyone who has gotten really sick from COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Now, it's "I don't know anyone who has died from COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Next it will be "Out of everyone I know, only a few have died from COVID. It's all B.S."
    - After that, there will either be mournful apologies, or they will just stop posting entirely and no one will know why.

And then we will know why.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's too late, in my opinion.

This is another classic tale of the Ant and the Grasshopper.

It's possible of course, that nothing could have been done to stop it. But we had our chance this spring. And whatever it is that we did or didn't do, it didn't work.

So here we are. The cat is out of the bag. And yet there are still some among us trying to say there is no cat.

I'll tell you the next few goal-post moves ahead of time though:

- First it was "I don't know anyone who had COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Then it was "I don't know anyone who has COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Then it was, "I don't know anyone who has gotten really sick from COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Now, it's "I don't know anyone who has died from COVID. It's all B.S."
    - Next it will be "Out of everyone I know, only a few have died from COVID. It's all B.S."
    - After that, there will either be mournful apologies, or they will just stop posting entirely and no one will know why.

And then we will know why.
    That's pretty deep, but I don't know anyone who has said it's all BS.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    That's pretty deep, but I don't know anyone who has said it's all BS.
    I know quite a few what have said it’s all BS and a hoax
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

757690 (10-13-2020),Bob Sheed (10-13-2020),Revering4Blue (10-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I know quite a few what have said it’s all BS and a hoax
    There are a few crackpots everywhere. Some people said the government took down the twin towers and that the moon landing was a hoax. But the reality is, just looking at the numbers, that most of us will not know anyone who died or got seriously ill. So, someone can say "I don't know anyone who has gotten really sick from COVID" and still not think covid is BS, because they have seen how it ravaged the nursing homes. The fact that someone can post that "A friend of a friend on Facebook says she knows 17 people who died!" or "We now have more deaths than in WWII!" or saying that we have more cases than China doesn't change what most of us will experience.

So, when the people who were not able to work from home got ravaged financially, I can't blame them for saying, "Huh, I still don't know anyone who has had it even after two months." It doesn't mean they don't believe it, but just maybe the approach we used was the wrong one.

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-16-2020),Falls City Beer (10-13-2020),Kingspoint (10-13-2020),Rojo (10-15-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’ve just kind of lost patience with anyone sneaking up to anti-mask skepticism or anything like that. I haven’t seen Rojo state any measures that he hasn’t referred to as fascism lately, and because of people like that, this crap has gone on for much longer than it ever should have, and now I have to worry about somebody who I really care about potentially dying or even if that doesn’t happen maybe winding up with heart failure long-term or some other kind of messed up complication, all in a situation that could’ve been entirely avoidable if we just didn’t act like complete lunatics from the start.

14. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-13-2020),M2 (10-14-2020),RedTeamGo! (10-13-2020),RFS62 (10-27-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It's almost like you completely ignored the 2.2M deaths was IF WE DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO TRY AND STOP THE SPREAD AND LET IT RUN RAMPANT.

But, you know - we didn't do absolutely nothing. We actually did things, took precautions, and well therefore citing "it was proven wrong!" doesn't work at all. Not that I expect any sort of second thought to anything you post, but maybe give it a shot, just as a treat to yourself?

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-13-2020)

Concerning Herd Immunity... From the head of the WHO:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...emic-unethical

WHO chief says herd immunity approach to pandemic ‘unethical’
    Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus cites lack of understanding of virus and lasting health effects

“Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it,” Tedros said. “Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy for responding to an outbreak, let alone a pandemic.”
    Relying on naturally obtaining herd immunity would be “scientifically and ethically problematic”, Tedros said. “Allowing a dangerous virus that we don’t fully understand to run free is simply unethical. It’s not an option.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-13-2020),Larkin Fan (10-13-2020),M2 (10-14-2020),mth123 (10-13-2020),WrongVerb (10-13-2020)

I’ve just kind of lost patience with anyone sneaking up to anti-mask skepticism or anything like that. I haven’t seen Rojo state any measures that he hasn’t referred to as fascism lately, and because of people like that, this crap has gone on for much longer than it ever should have, and now I have to worry about somebody who I really care about potentially dying or even if that doesn’t happen maybe winding up with heart failure long-term or some other kind of messed up complication, all in a situation that could’ve been entirely avoidable if we just didn’t act like complete lunatics from the start.
    Fair enough. I’m mostly just tired of hearing that there’s not an argument to be made for having done the lockdowns differently. Or that even entertaining the notion means you’re some psychopath. There were a tiny handful of voices at the beginning of the lockdowns who at least asked the question: Could the tradeoff (kill the economy to save x-number of Covid deaths) be worse than the disease? Those voices were entirely silenced and they weren’t all quacks or YouTube goofs or rightwing imbeciles.

I don’t have the answers but asking the questions doesn’t make me, Rojo, or anyone else who asks them evil. I only hope that when this is through, some good people will try to press the authorities for a better solution for the next pandemic. Because I don’t want this response to be considered the gold standard. It has tremendous problems that don’t need repeating.

20. Likes:

Rojo (10-15-2020)

Fair enough. I’m mostly just tired of hearing that there’s not an argument to be made for having done the lockdowns differently. Or that even entertaining the notion means you’re some psychopath. There were a tiny handful of voices at the beginning of the lockdowns who at least asked the question: Could the tradeoff (kill the economy to save x-number of Covid deaths) be worse than the disease? Those voices were entirely silenced and they weren’t all quacks or YouTube goofs or rightwing imbeciles.

I don’t have the answers but asking the questions doesn’t make me, Rojo, or anyone else who asks them evil. I only hope that when this is through, some good people will try to press the authorities for a better solution for the next pandemic. Because I don’t want this response to be considered the gold standard. It has tremendous problems that don’t need repeating.
    Part of the issue is that we were (and in some ways still are) way behind in knowing what the actual disease was - I don't want to make this political, but it appears we wasted a few months before it hit our shores that would have been useful to scientists. And because of that, I don't think you will ever get an answer to your question because once it actually hit large population centers there wasn't enough time to get those answers and do it differently. In a perfect world, US scientists would've had a couple of months to figure out what this was and how it could be slowed down - in our world, it's like we woke up one day and it was on top of us. Months in and we still aren't quite sure about it and how to truly contain its spread (this is not an anti- or pro-mask statement).

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    No one on here predicted mass vaccines in October. You took umbrage with me saying Trump would try to get some released to limited populations in October (before the election). He still is, I have no doubt. You seem to be taking a victory lap here but do me one favor. Show me who said mass vaccines will be out in October.

Your prediction was October 2021 (if we are lucky you said). Now that does seem to have changed.

We all have are predictions on this. I’m just trying to keep the record straight.
    You stated several times (though backing off after I called you on it) that there would be vaccines available to the public in October. Then you changed to "it is very possible". I held firm that this thinking was all fantasy by whatever sources you were using to come up with this conclusion.

My prediction has been "at the earliest, March of 2021" since we began talking about this in early March, that vaccines would be available to the world on a mass scale (at least one billion vaccinations ready to inject into people. That position has never changed by me. I've said it at least 25 times in this forum.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-13-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?