Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu seaso

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There are a few crackpots everywhere. Some people said the government took down the twin towers and that the moon landing was a hoax. But the reality is, just looking at the numbers, that most of us will not know anyone who died or got seriously ill. So, someone can say "I don't know anyone who has gotten really sick from COVID" and still not think covid is BS, because they have seen how it ravaged the nursing homes. The fact that someone can post that "A friend of a friend on Facebook says she knows 17 people who died!" or "We now have more deaths than in WWII!" or saying that we have more cases than China doesn't change what most of us will experience.

So, when the people who were not able to work from home got ravaged financially, I can't blame them for saying, "Huh, I still don't know anyone who has had it even after two months." It doesn't mean they don't believe it, but just maybe the approach we used was the wrong one.
    My Spouse sees a handful of people who have it every single day (Monday through Friday). I had chills and a fever 11 days ago, went to an emergency clinic to get tested, was negative for the flu and rapid covid test (90% accurate), but because of symptoms I stayed at a hotel for the next four nights just to be sure.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You stated several times (though backing off after I called you on it) that there would be vaccines available to the public in October. Then you changed to "it is very possible". I held firm that this thinking was all fantasy by whatever sources you were using to come up with this conclusion.

My prediction has been "at the earliest, March of 2021" since we began talking about this in early March, that vaccines would be available to the world on a mass scale (at least one billion vaccinations ready to inject into people. That position has never changed by me. I've said it at least 25 times in this forum.
    Here’s my initial and subsequent posts that you called garbage.

https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...=1#post4113624

“Maybe October 2021” you say in your response. Actually when pressed - I did say I believe limited doses would be available in October. Things have changed but to say that I said public/mass vaccines would be out is patently untrue and it’s sad you resort to that. It’s there for all to see.

Light politics so far as a vaccine goes -

It will be interesting to see how Biden/Harris embrace a vaccine once they win. The vaccine is a big political football that the party in charge will want to “get to work” as soon as possible. B/H have said they will “listen to the scientists” but they certainly aren’t cheerleading a vaccine at his point. Will that change?

Trump has lost all political capital so any hope of rallying a rushed vaccine to the market is gone.

http://https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-flight-catch-covid-odds-stats-iata-data-b909398.html

If I owned a business, I would take advantage of this situation and eliminate business travel company-wide unless absolutely necessary. That said, for any one looking to vacation anytime soon, it looks like flying is incredibly safe. Chances of catching COVID from flying is 1 in 27 million. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    http://https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-flight-catch-covid-odds-stats-iata-data-b909398.html

If I owned a business, I would take advantage of this situation and eliminate business travel company-wide unless absolutely necessary. That said, for any one looking to vacation anytime soon, it looks like flying is incredibly safe. Chances of catching COVID from flying is 1 in 27 million. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.
    What if you are a totally crazy person and wouldn't get on a plane before all of this because you were concerned about dying in a plane crash?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What if you are a totally crazy person and wouldn't get on a plane before all of this because you were concerned about dying in a plane crash?
    I would advise them to stay in their house and continue to read, write and dream about baseball.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would advise them to stay in their house and continue to read, write and dream about baseball.
    Challenge accepted (for now).

IATA is an airline trade association. I've been to their conferences. Nice enough folks, but I'd lean toward dismissing their "medical" data out of hand. It's entirely possible planes are safer than other enclosed spaces. Just don't rely on IATA for that information.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Fair enough. I’m mostly just tired of hearing that there’s not an argument to be made for having done the lockdowns differently. Or that even entertaining the notion means you’re some psychopath..
    Hate following a baseball team for 20 years makes you a psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hate following a baseball team for 20 years makes you a psychopath.
    They’ve been pretty relentlessly awful in that span, no? Except for when they weren’t.

IATA is an airline trade association. I've been to their conferences. Nice enough folks, but I'd lean toward dismissing their "medical" data out of hand. It's entirely possible planes are safer than other enclosed spaces. Just don't rely on IATA for that information.
    A friend of mine is an Aerosal Engineer for Sherwin Williams. He said these studies by the Airlines are nonsense.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-14-2020),M2 (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They’ve been pretty relentlessly awful in that span, no? Except for when they weren’t.
    You were throwing rocks at them in the game thread on the day they clinched a playoff slot.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    A friend of mine is an Aerosal Engineer for Sherwin Williams. He said these studies by the Airlines are nonsense.
    I mean 1 in 27 million odds of contracting COVID on a plane should give anyone “that can’t be right” vibes.

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-14-2020),Falls City Beer (10-14-2020),Larkin Fan (10-14-2020),marcshoe (10-14-2020),mth123 (10-14-2020),RedTeamGo! (10-15-2020),Revering4Blue (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I love that there is a job titled, "Aerosal Engineer"

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-15-2020)

You were throwing rocks at them in the game thread on the day they clinched a playoff slot.
    They deserve it until they step up and give back to the fans who have supported them for decades.

Turn Off Ads?