Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu season

I was at a kids soccer game yesterday. Outdoors of course. Instructions were clear. Wear a mask. Or you will be provided with one. If refused, you are ask to return to your car or leave the premises. One guy next to me didn't have a mask on. Sure enough, some guy with a clipboard and box of masks stopped by pretty quickly and asked him if he needed a mask. The guy said "sure", and all was well.

But of course in the back of my mind as I'm watching all this go down I'm wondering if I'm about to have a TMZ moment unfold. Dude looked the part.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Prosecuting individuals is a non-starter. The state already has the power to regulate businesses by either pulling their liquor license or occupancy permit.

But ticketing individuals outside? That is probably the craziest thing I've read on this site, and that's saying something. How would you know who came close to who? Are they related? The same household? Medical conditions? It's nuts.
    You’re not wearing a mask when out in public, you get a ticket. Likely a warning the first time, then a ticket. No different than getting a ticket for jaywalking.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Given that Congress will likely do nothing to help the unemployed, what do we do if unemployment begins to rise again—as many economists speculate we are due for a secondary shock of layoffs higher up the management chain, even white collar workers? Let’s say formal unemployment goes into low double digits and the U6 closer to 20%. How sustainable is that?
    It's terrible, but as long as the virus is out there killing 1000 people every day, it's going to continue to be terrible. Planes aren't going to be crowded and cruise ships won't be selling out no matter what the restrictions are. Restaurants and theaters won't be as busy. A lot of people simply won't go. JUst telling people to do whatever they want isn't going to change things. A lot of people just won't and once the initial surge starts increasing the numbers, a lot that are willing to patronize places like that will stop. This isn't the first time we have had an awful economy and the idea that people will be ruined forever, that I've seen thrown out there, seems an overstatement. Anybody remember the Stagflation days. Unemployment and Inflation were both double digits. People recovered.

The only way the economy will bounce all the way back is for the threat of the virus to be virtually eliminated. There will never be a 100% guarantee, but we can't have 1000 people per day dying with no end in sight.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-21-2020),Revering4Blue (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The idea of giving the state the power to prosecute that is bone-chilling. They already have entirely too much power.
    I don't like it either, but the alternatives are

1. Let it run wild and watch the numbers rise
    2. Regulate activities to prevent people from getting together similar to what is happening now.

Number 2 is what people in this thread are supposedly objecting to today. Number 1 is just writing certain people off. Don't know about you, but it seems pretty immoral to me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You’re not wearing a mask when out in public, you get a ticket. Likely a warning the first time, then a ticket. No different than getting a ticket for jaywalking.
    So if I’m sitting in the park reading a book, I have to wear a mask? If I’m going for a walk, I have to wear a mask? If you want to get people to start pushing back, that’s the best way to do it.

9. Likes:

Rojo (09-23-2020)

So if I’m sitting in the park reading a book, I have to wear a mask? If I’m going for a walk, I have to wear a mask? If you want to get people to start pushing back, that’s the best way to do it.
    Why is that such a problem? Wearing a mask is easy, super easy.

And my guess is that it will be handled the same way jay walking is. Most people will be able to get away with it when done on an empty street. But when it’s busy, it will be enforced. And again, likely a warning at first and only a ticket for repeat offenders or those that push back. I also imagine if you have a mask and put it on when confronted, nothing happens.

Why is that such a problem? Wearing a mask is easy, super easy.

And my guess is that it will be handled the same way jay walking is. Most people will be able to get away with it when done on an empty street. But when it’s busy, it will be enforced. And again, likely a warning at first and only a ticket for repeat offenders or those that push back. I also imagine if you have a mask and put it on when confronted, nothing happens.
    A lot of people are already wearing masks for eight or 10 hours a day, and if they go for a walk or are hanging out somewhere in the evening, they want some relief from it and want to get back to normal. I mean, even the governor said you don’t have to wear your mask inside if you’re eating or drinking, so I don’t know what the urgency is to make someone wear a mask by virtue of being in a public space outside. In the stands at a sporting event? Sure. Standing with a group of people at a food truck to get a bite to eat? Sure, it’s common courtesy.

But ticketing people with subjective criteria that they may or may not have been socially distances, is nuts.

A lot of people are already wearing masks for eight or 10 hours a day, and if they go for a walk or are hanging out somewhere in the evening, they want some relief from it and want to get back to normal. I mean, even the governor said you don’t have to wear your mask inside if you’re eating or drinking, so I don’t know what the urgency is to make someone wear a mask by virtue of being in a public space outside. In the stands at a sporting event? Sure. Standing with a group of people at a food truck to get a bite to eat? Sure, it’s common courtesy.

But ticketing people with subjective criteria that they may or may not have been socially distances, is nuts.
    It can easily be done if common sense is used, the same common sense that is used for jaywalking, loitering or other smaller offenses. No one is suggesting an SS troop of mask enforcers roam the streets.

I happily wear a mask when I go into places and am in outside places like mini-golf or playgrounds where other people are around.

I absolutely will NOT wear a mask when I go for a walk or run, and I absolutely will not be making my kids wear a mask when we are simply walking around our neighborhood when no one is around.

Frankly, if the government starts policing this I will literally drive down to the state capital and protest.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-21-2020),redhawkfish (09-21-2020),RiverRat13 (09-21-2020),Rojo (09-23-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-21-2020)

It can easily be done if common sense is used, the same common sense that is used for jaywalking, loitering or other smaller offenses. No one is suggesting an SS troop of mask enforcers roam the streets.
    Pass

16. Likes:

Boston Red (09-21-2020),RiverRat13 (09-21-2020)

OK, let’s suppose the governor did announce a mandate for masks in outdoor public places. And he won’t, but let’s say he did. Describe a scenario when a cop would come up and start issuing tickets. The lawyers are going to have a field day. “ So, my client was issued a ticket for sitting on a bench without a mask, but 10 feet away there was an entire patio of people where nobody was wearing a mask. Why exactly is he a public threat?”

There is all kinds of low hanging fruit that we aren’t even trying to address. Places like Kroger and Walmart actually do a pretty good job with mask policies, and compliance is in the high 90%. But from what I see of convenience stores like Speedway, compliance is under 10%. Not even the employees are wearing masks. But the type of people that manage convenience stores don’t have the technical skills to even create a mask policy, so the only thing that would help would be to issue citations to the business. Before they start targeting individuals, let’s go after some of the obvious violators. I guarantee if a few local stores were shut down for a week for code violations, corporate would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

What I proposed was, in public, indoors and outdoors in a crowd (like at a ballgame, outdoor concert or a crowded city crosswalk). If you are on a park bench, outside and no one was within six feet, no need for a mask.

The bigger issue is distancing. It would be impossible to enforce though other than how we are doing now. Most of those laws have no teeth though. In many states you just get a lecture to educate the offender with no real deterrent. There should be stiff penalties for distancing and violators should be prosecuted. I don't care if you are wearing a mask or not. Get out of my space (and your little kids too).

At the end of the day, its a bad situation and there is no good solution. The only thing that may help is if people were more cooperative and that just won't happen in the US where people put their liberties first even if they violate somebody else's liberties. Rude is just rude no matter what the law is.

19. Likes:

757690 (09-21-2020),Revering4Blue (09-22-2020)

I have no problem wearing a mask inside. It makes sense and there is good data behind it. There's no compelling argument to wear one outside. We're also giving way too much time/attention to wiping things down. Don't tell me to trust the science and then misapply it.

21. Likes:

redhawkfish (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The most remarkable thing to me is the Antifa people who are full on Covid bull****.
    Why would this surprise you? There were no better anti-fascists than the Stasi...

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I happily wear a mask when I go into places and am in outside places like mini-golf or playgrounds where other people are around.

I absolutely will NOT wear a mask when I go for a walk or run, and I absolutely will not be making my kids wear a mask when we are simply walking around our neighborhood when no one is around.

Frankly, if the government starts policing this I will literally drive down to the state capital and protest.
    If that happened, you should get upset. But that is not what is being discussed.

As I said, if common sense is used, there will be no problem. Here in LA, we are required to wear masks in public. It only enforced in extreme situations, crowded areas when people refuse to wear one after being told to wear one. It is not a problem here at all.

If the police see someone without a mask in public, around a crowd, they tell them to wear a mask. They only do something if that person refuses and makes a scene. No kids are even considered for this rule.

Common sense. It’s not that hard to do with common sense.

Turn Off Ads?