Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Room enough for her desk, the door, and a projector. That's it.

Every other desk-- they're still within three feet of each other on both sides. (Remember it's six feet around.)

She had them in groups of four-- that can't be done. She's tried side by side. That's definitely no-go.

She does have 15 feet straight up.
    Then ladders? Yeah, definitely ladders.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Is anyone doing anything at Freedom Hall these days? Give each high school a wing.

Send some of the overflow to the Commonwealth Convention Center. Can't imagine they're doing much of a business these days.
    There are nearly 100,000 students in Jefferson County.

Freedom Hall holds, at last count, 19,000. (And that's packed.)

The Commonwealth Convention Center has a capacity of 7,000.

This assumes the businesses that hold their conventions, concerts, and other activities can be moved.

It also ignores buses, food, bathrooms, and all the little headaches that go into school stuff.

That gym over a Seneca is pretty large. Break some of those classes up and send some of them to the gym. They may even feel some of the old Keith Williams magic from days of yore.
    That gym already has classes in it. All day.

I'm thinking more of the convention halls than the arena. And just spreading people out to get to a point where one could accommodate half capacity at a time with distancing.

I see there's actually a knife show at Freedom Hall next month, though. Oh Louisville, never change!

- - - Updated - - -

That gym already has classes in it. All day.
    What class? PE. PE has to go, unfortunately.

They call me "chef"

This could be just me but, personally, I feel like the first hand experience of parents/teachers that agree with my stance tend to be more accurate and meaningful than the first hand experience of parents/teachers that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    This could be just me but, personally, I feel like the first hand experience of parents/teachers that agree with my stance tend to be more accurate and meaningful than the first hand experience of parents/teachers that don't.
    Except that BZ’s argument was that a bunch of teachers don’t understand that there are old school buildings. Tf.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Except that BZ’s argument was that a bunch of teachers don’t understand that there are old school buildings. Tf.
    If my memory serves me well from several years ago during the 2020 primaries, BZ can tend to express his opinions in very all-or-nothing extremes while omitting pertinent information conveniently. Therefore, I would move him from the previous category to the latter, even though I may agree with his overall point, out of principle and my own unresolved bitterness against centrism stans.

9. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-21-2020),Rojo (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No, that's not my argument, FCB.

I said that for my city, having school virtually instead of in-person was the right call.

I provided evidence, fwiw, of a classroom wherein keeping kids six feet apart is an impossibility. I provided evidence that it's a physical impossibility to keep kids six feet apart in the hallways, the cafeteria, or the buses.

I realize that interferes with your presupposition. I realize that it runs counter to some teacher experiences.

It does not change the facts, however.

Feel free to denigrate my personality, but I reject Larry's inference that I'm omitting pertinent information. (Show me, after all, where that's the case here.)

As to the other comments, if you have issues with me, feel free to PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking more of the convention halls than the arena. And just spreading people out to get to a point where one could accommodate half capacity at a time with distancing.
    That's a novel approach.

How would you keep distance between classes and teachers teaching different subjects?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Or maybe different people have experienced different situations and everyone should respect that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Or maybe different people have experienced different situations and everyone should respect that.
    I respect your opinion but I must kindly disagree with the assertion of my own post you quoted. :-)

That's a novel approach.

How would you keep distance between classes and teachers teaching different subjects?
    Not sure, but perhaps some temporary walls. My wife's school in Rhode Island was complete trash (hit an 800 foot HR to CF at the Paw Sox Stadium and you'd hit it), and that's basically what you had separating "classrooms". Terrible solution, but it "works". I'm sure that's not a real solution, but there's got to be some unused open spaces in Louisville that schools could use to spread out. Did they ever tear down the Showcase Cinemas on Bardstown Road? (My precious childhood memories, lost ).

My wife's school in Rhode Island was complete trash (hit an 800 foot HR to CF at the Paw Sox Stadium and you'd hit it)
    No one should have to be from Pawtucket.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No one should have to be from Pawtucket.
    Yeah, we had no idea. My wife was only licensed in Indiana, and RI offered reciprocity (MA did not), so we were looking for the closest RI school to Boston. Pawsucket it was. That was not ideal.

16. Likes:

M2 (10-21-2020)

Yeah, we had no idea. My wife was only licensed in Indiana, and RI offered reciprocity (MA did not), so we were looking for the closest RI school to Boston. Pawsucket it was. That was not ideal.
    And for anybody reading this, Rhode Island is lovely and well worth a visit. Just skip Pawtucket.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Boston Red (10-21-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Then ladders? Yeah, definitely ladders.
    BUILD LOFTS.

Do I have to think of EVERYTHING for you guys?

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?