Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Far be it for me to stick up for the Boomers but I see more “COVID fear” from millennials/Gen-X people myself. The healthy Boomers (who certainly lean right where I am) are the open-it-up crowd.

YMMV I’m sure.

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-26-2020),Falls City Beer (10-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Far be it for me to stick up for the Boomers but I see more “COVID fear” from millennials/Gen-X people myself. The healthy Boomers (who certainly lean right where I am) are the open-it-up crowd.

YMMV I’m sure.
    Totally cool, I definitely wasn't trying to attack the boomers. The will to live is strong. Every generation may end up acting the same way just due to survival instinct alone.

Curious what you mean by "COVID fear" though. I was speaking more to "the powers that be" dictating policy.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Attachment 16657

Another 6 week strict lockdown. For a country that already bent the curve.
    Yeah I mean honestly I’m pretty glad that I don’t live in some of the European countries or like Australia, some of the places that have been pretty absurd about this.

6. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

YMMV I’m sure.
    Me too. Even Gen Z. They’re eaten up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Covid is bad, it's like two times worse than a horrible flu season to date, WITH preventative measures. But it's still just mostly lethal to a small vulnerable group of Americans.
    That "small" group is tens of millions of people - 21 million people 70 and older, 34 million with diabetes, 10 million immunocompromised, 16 million morbidly obese, roughly 48% of adults have dealt with some form of cardiovascular disease.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

757690 (10-25-2020),Kinsm (10-25-2020),mth123 (10-25-2020),Revering4Blue (10-25-2020)

And, for those not inclined to bury their heads in the sand, COVID case numbers (based on a 7-day rolling average) in the U.S. have increased 57.7% over the past three weeks. Sure enough, death numbers are now starting to spike again in the wake of that, up 17% over the past week. We've seen the same pattern play out twice already and it's happening again. Main difference is this time it's grabbing the whole nation at the same time rather than various regions.
    Last edited by M2; 10-25-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah I mean honestly I’m pretty glad that I don’t live in some of the European countries or like Australia, some of the places that have been pretty absurd about this.
    New Zealand was the most “absurd” about it, and now they have life pretty much back to normal. Australian is being praised for how it has handled the pandemic and is about to lift it’s lockdown. Here’s a good article on them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/21/austr...hnk/index.html

These other countries did it right, strict, targeted lockdowns that got the spread down to nearly zero, and then opened things back up. When they see a spike, the do another targeted lockdown.

You may think that it would suck to live in such a place, but I am guessing they are all glad they don’t live in the US, where the pandemic is still spreading, and we are still in a partial lockdown.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

M2 (10-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    New Zealand was the most “absurd” about it, and now they have life pretty much back to normal. Australian is being praised for how it has handled the pandemic and is about to lift it’s lockdown. Here’s a good article on them.

These other countries did it right, strict, targeted lockdowns that got the spread down to nearly zero, and then opened things back up. When they see a spike, the do another targeted lockdown.

You may think that it would suck to live in such a place, but I am guessing they are all glad they don’t live in the US, where the pandemic is still spreading, and we are still in a partial lockdown.
    Restrictions and all that are one thing, the stuff that’s like curfews or restrictions on how far you’re allowed to travel away from your home, or one person is allowed to leave once a day per household, that stuff is ridiculous and hasn’t even prevented those regions from having spikes. That’s the kind of stuff that’s too draconian for me.

If I hadn’t had the ability to make a calculated decision to see a small group of friends the last few months or have outdoor dining or go to therapy in person, I would have legit killed myself at some point over the summer.

I am extremely grateful I don’t live in Ireland or Melbourne.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 10-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-26-2020),Falls City Beer (10-25-2020),redhawkfish (10-25-2020)

It does really suck that pretty much every restaurant in the city has already given up on outdoor eating. Even places that bought heaters for their patios aren’t even attempting to use them. Hamilton county is about to hit purple for the first time, so I imagine restaurants are going to spread it like wildfire.

16. Likes:

M2 (10-25-2020)

It does really suck that pretty much every restaurant in the city has already given up on outdoor eating. Even places that bought heaters for their patios aren’t even attempting to use them. Hamilton county is about to hit purple for the first time, so I imagine restaurants are going to spread it like wildfire.
    They’ll shut down indoor dining. Most indoor everything. Warranted or not. Now the standard is set; not overreacting will look like failing to react. It would be political suicide now not to overreact.

They’ll shut down indoor dining. Most indoor everything. Warranted or not. Now the standard is set; not overreacting will look like failing to react. It would be political suicide now not to overreact.
    I’d be pretty surprised if they went that route again actually. Without a second stimulus or bailout for unemployment, I don’t DeWine will even consider it.

I’d be pretty surprised if they went that route again actually. Without a second stimulus or bailout for unemployment, I don’t DeWine will even consider it.
    It’ll depend on the state for sure. But I can’t conceive of a governor surviving another retirement home outbreak.

It’ll depend on the state for sure. But I can’t conceive of a governor surviving another retirement home outbreak.
    But eating at sports bars did not lead to retirement home outbreaks. There is absolutely no way that Dewine will shut down restaurants again. Even if indoor seating was eliminated, that would not prevent private gatherings, which is where most of the outbreaks are coming from now anyway. At least when people get together to watch a game somewhere, it is in a place where someone is sanitizing, there is good ventilation, and people are spread out, unlike in a man cave.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

1. Island countries have built-in advantages that other regions (ie the United States, EU) simply don't have.

2. A lot of these restrictions/lockdowns in place throughout the world aren't possible in the United States. It's not even about the public's willingness to accept it (they likely wouldn't), but rather the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    1. Island countries have built-in advantages that other regions (ie the United States, EU) simply don't have.

2. A lot of these restrictions/lockdowns in place throughout the world aren't possible in the United States. It's not even about the public's willingness to accept it (they likely wouldn't), but rather the Constitution.
    State of emergency exceptions have worked in nearly every state. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work on a federal level. But even they didn’t, the federal government, in coordination with the experts, unrolling a large, loud campaign to shut down state by state, would have been well received and enforced by nearly every state.

When we remember that nearly all the cases were happening in NYC at the beginning, it’s not controversial to believe that this pandemic could have been controlled had we re-acted quickly and decisively as soon as we learned about it. But it required national leadership from the beginning which we still haven’t received.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?