Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

I went to a Wal-Mart in Dallas (on my way to the World Series!....sorry), and 100% on the masks there. I'm sure mileage varies depending on where one is. I did stop for gas in Gainesville, TX on the way home and experience the zero mask gas station Bernie referred to above. It was pretty jarring, because even in Wichita, KS (where I live) mask compliance at places like gas stations, grocery stores, etc. is approximately 100%.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanksgiving/Christmas should be "interesting". There will be a lot of extended families getting together in the same house without masks. We'll see how things look in a month, but the trend line indicates that at least for Thanksgiving all of those gatherings will be taking place while cases are spiking around the country (and particularly in the Midwest where we all know families are going to get together).

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    People are saying go back to normal. To me that means no masks, no distancing, full capacity and if you are high risk, stay home while we leave you behind. What I hear people advocating is basically go back to normal, but if you are high risk, sorry about your luck. That's certainly how I read it. How do you get anything else out of some of the posts on this page (or how some of our leaders behave for that matter)?
    I didn't see any posts where anyone said that we should stop wearing masks and ditch social distancing.

I have said that if someone is very vulnerable, they shouldn't be going to bars or even the grocery store. Although masks are very effective, they are not 100% effective.

And funny enough, just this morning I got a frantic text from my gf's best friend, and she just told me that her 85 year old father, along with six other patients, just tested positive inside the rehab facility that he has been in since early September. He definitely caught it there even though masking and sanitation is typical of a medical facility, and even they couldn't prevent it. Of course, the usual people here will just say he's lying and he probably snuck out or something, but if I was vulnerable, I wouldn't be looking at a mask as a shield. It's why my family made the decision in the beginning for several of us to stay with my dad during this so he doesn't have to stay alone and also doesn't have to leave home. He is 100% safe.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post

And funny enough, just this morning I got a frantic text from my gf's best friend, and she just told me that her 85 year old father, along with six other patients, just tested positive inside the rehab facility that he has been in since early September. He definitely caught it there even though masking and sanitation is typical of a medical facility, and even they couldn't prevent it. Of course, the usual people here will just say he's lying and he probably snuck out or something, but if I was vulnerable, I wouldn't be looking at a mask as a shield. It's why my family made the decision in the beginning for several of us to stay with my dad during this so he doesn't have to stay alone and also doesn't have to leave home. He is 100% safe.
    Counterpoint to "he's lying and snuck out" and far more likely: It was brought in from the outside from someone who doesn't live in the facility. All it takes is one person, and even that may not even be their fault. They could be doing all of the right things, but their spouse didn't, and then here we are.

And that goes back to the whole point: Either we are all in this together, or we aren't. If everyone is not doing their part, then it's going to keep spreading - even to places with safety measures that are good and sound.

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-27-2020),mth123 (10-27-2020),WrongVerb (10-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Sure there is, let them self quarantine. They know who they are.
    That's ridiculous, the modern equivalent of "let them eat cake."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-27-2020),Bob Sheed (10-27-2020),mth123 (10-27-2020),SteelSD (10-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Counterpoint to "he's lying and snuck out" and far more likely: It was brought in from the outside from someone who doesn't live in the facility. All it takes is one person, and even that may not even be their fault. They could be doing all of the right things, but their spouse didn't, and then here we are.

And that goes back to the whole point: Either we are all in this together, or we aren't. If everyone is not doing their part, then it's going to keep spreading - even to places with safety measures that are good and sound.
    Of course it came from outside. The doctors and nurses don’t live at the facility. My point is that masks are not 100% effective, and if you can catch it where everybody is tested every week and safety protocols are followed to the letter, then you can catch it at a grocery store or even hanging with friends too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Thanksgiving/Christmas should be "interesting". There will be a lot of extended families getting together in the same house without masks. We'll see how things look in a month, but the trend line indicates that at least for Thanksgiving all of those gatherings will be taking place while cases are spiking around the country (and particularly in the Midwest where we all know families are going to get together).
    We're in the process of moving in my M-i-L, who needs to be in Boston for chemo. My daughter, who moved into her own place a couple of months ago, is going to come over with a couple of her housemates and we're going to set them up with a table outside our dining room window. I've got a pavilion tent for in case it rains. We need to be extra cautious, so it's outdoor with the kiddie table. It usually gets up to slightly above 50 at that time of year and they're forecasting a warm November for the northern hemisphere. So we should be all right.

Christmas is going to be trickier. Probably going to need for my daughter to get a test right before it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Of course it came from outside. The doctors and nurses don’t live at the facility. My point is that masks are not 100% effective, and if you can catch it where everybody is tested every week and safety protocols are followed to the letter, then you can catch it at a grocery store or even hanging with friends too.
    And my point is that if everyone, instead of like, some of us, actually did what we were actually being asked to do, the likelihood of catching it and spreading it would be drastically reduced. But, you know - "we" aren't willing to do that at all.

12. Likes:

M2 (10-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Sure there is, let them self quarantine. They know who they are.
    That's the kicker. Nobody knows that they have it for the first few days they're contagious. So a person could be walking around, believing they're healthy and all that, usually for 2-3 days, until they begin showing symptoms. (This is what is meant by "asymptomatic.")

So...if a person doesn't know they have contracted the virus, and are contagious, then how are they supposed to know to self-quarantine?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Of course you can. No one is saying otherwise, but the chances of catching it are reduced if people follow the protocols. The person who brought it in probably caught it at Kroger or somewhere because somebody gave it to him or her. Had everybody done their part, maybe the person who brought it in would have never been infected in the first place. Would it still happen? Sure, but the likelihood would be reduced and it wouldn't happen as much.

A lot of people are still going to get this disease no matter how cautious we are. It's a matter of magnitude and making it as safe as possible for people with higher risk to function.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Strikes Out Looking (10-27-2020)

The self-righteous is off the chart. No is has even suggested that they "should just throw caution to the wind and do whatever they want".
    You are a pretty smart poster, so I know your reading comprehension is good enough. Re-read posts 954, 956 and 962 in this thread.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And my point is that if everyone, instead of like, some of us, actually did what we were actually being asked to do, the likelihood of catching it and spreading it would be drastically reduced. But, you know - "we" aren't willing to do that at all.
    I don’t know what rock you’ve been living under, but the vast majority have been doing what we’ve been asked to do. It’s so funny that the governor has no problem using the liquor commission to do his dirty work and restrict restaurant opening hours, but the state can’t even get school bus drivers to wear masks. If they really cared, they would send around health inspectors and go to places like Speedway and Kroger, and if they see violations, pull their occupancy permit for a couple of weeks. But no, it’s much easier for the governor to support the police force for arresting a woman with asthma who wasn’t wearing a mask outside at an empty football stadium.

Most people are doing everything they can and have sacrificed a lot. I have done everything I can, and my circle of friends and relatives have done the same, which is why I don’t know anybody close that has tested positive. But I can’t do anything about some trailer trash hillbilly or entitled soccer mom that don’t think they have to wear a mask at Walmart. Only the state and Walmart can take care of that, because these people are not going to police themselves.

You are a pretty smart poster, so I know your reading comprehension is good enough. Re-read posts 954, 956 and 962 in this thread.
    Yes, I know how to read. I didn’t hunt down all of those posts, but even if I look at 954, he is not saying that we should all just do what we want and throw caution to the wind. he explicitly said that we should do what we can and make appointments and follow protocols, etc.

I don’t know what rock you’ve been living under, but the vast majority have been doing what we’ve been asked to do. It’s so funny that the governor has no problem using the liquor commission to do his dirty work and restrict restaurant opening hours, but the state can’t even get school bus drivers to wear masks. If they really cared, they would send around health inspectors and go to places like Speedway and Kroger, and if they see violations, pull their occupancy permit for a couple of weeks. But no, it’s much easier for the governor to support the police force for arresting a woman with asthma who wasn’t wearing a mask outside at an empty football stadium.

Most people are doing everything they can and have sacrificed a lot. I have done everything I can, and my circle of friends and relatives have done the same, which is why I don’t know anybody close that has tested positive. But I can’t do anything about some trailer trash hillbilly or entitled soccer mom that don’t think they have to wear a mask at Walmart. Only the state and Walmart can take care of that, because these people are not going to police themselves.
    But the state doing something about that would mean restrictions. There are people arguing there should be none. How does that work?

I believe you are doing all you can. My posts are directed at the soccer mom you referenced.

But the state doing something about that would mean restrictions. There are people arguing there should be none. How does that work?

I believe you are doing all you can. My posts are directed at the soccer mom you referenced.
    No, it would not be more restrictions. It would just be enforcing what we already have. The governor mandated masks in indoor retail places. If he doesn’t have the power to enforce it, why even bother in the first place.

At the beginning of the mandate, both Kroger and Walmart stationed people at the front of the door to make sure everybody put on a mask. They stopped doing that, And now mask compliance is down. Who knew.

Turn Off Ads?