Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

They call me "chef"

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Those kids are all dead now.
    Worse. They developed incredible immune systems and are now ethically-compromised adults that are complicit in the propagation of American imperialism abroad and status quo class warfare domestically.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It just seems weird that only two or three people on this board can even entertain the notion that the reaction to the disease might have been more dangerous than the disease itself. I’m at least willing to consider that the reaction to the disease was justified. But ask 99% of Americans just to consider it, and it’s shrieking.

4. Likes:

Rojo (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It just seems weird that only two or three people on this board can even entertain the notion that the reaction to the disease might have been more dangerous than the disease itself. I’m at least willing to consider that the reaction to the disease was justified. But ask 99% of Americans just to consider it, and it’s shrieking.
    The notion was entertained. This debate has been discussed, and it was extensive. The data is quite clear on this.

The shrieking due to the same posters refusing to acknowledge the data, the evidence, and continuing to post already debunked theories. Over and over again.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The notion was entertained. This debate has been discussed, and it was extensive. The data is quite clear on this.

The shrieking due to the same posters refusing to acknowledge the data, the evidence, and continuing to post already debunked theories. Over and over again.
    In my defense I haven’t posted a single “debunked” thing. Maybe unverifiable, but not “debunked.” There is a metric tonne of unverified information about this virus—it’s 9 months old; by the nature of scientific inquiry we know less about it than any other known virus. I just think these grand Mosaic statements of certainty about this virus can only be explained by some fundamental fear or bias.

7. Likes:

kaldaniels (09-26-2020),Rojo (09-26-2020)

In my defense I haven’t posted a single “debunked” thing. Maybe unverifiable, but not “debunked.” There is a metric tonne of unverified information about this virus—it’s 9 months old; by the nature of scientific inquiry we know less about it than any other known virus. I just think these grand Mosaic statements of certainty about this virus can only be explained by some fundamental fear or bias.
    Maybe it’s a bit hyperbole but I feel like we are just getting out of the “You can get AIDS from a toilet seat” phase of this virus.

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-28-2020),Falls City Beer (09-26-2020),Rojo (09-26-2020)

You have not posted anything controversial that I can remember, but we all know who I was referring to.

We have plenty of new data and studies, and the are all still saying the same thing:

This virus is highly contagious, and if left unchecked would result in the collapse of our society as we know it, doing far greater damage than whatever is happening due to the shutdown. We know this just not by looking at this virus, but every other virus like it throughout history. I mean, just look at Europe, which is facing a stunning rise in cases, even after doing a great job of getting numbers close to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Maybe it’s a bit hyperbole but I feel like we are just getting out of the “You can get AIDS from a toilet seat” phase of this virus.
    Not a moment too soon. I hope our collective brain fever can cool and we look at it with clear eyes.

You have not posted anything controversial that I can remember, but we all know who I was referring to.

We have plenty of new data and studies, and the are all still saying the same thing:

This virus is highly contagious, and if left unchecked would result in the collapse of our society as we know it, doing far greater damage than whatever is happening due to the shutdown. We know this just not by looking at this virus, but every other virus like it throughout history. I mean, just look at Europe, which is facing a stunning rise in cases, even after doing a great job of getting numbers close to zero.
    At some point the “shutdown forever” group will have to reckon with this without just waving it away:

Name:  B293F8D5-1E98-4A7A-94E2-EFC4D00699CB.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  173.3 KB

13. Likes:

Rojo (09-26-2020)

At some point the “shutdown forever” group will have to reckon with this without just waving it away:
    Sweden has been discussed in great detail. I am not going to go down that rabbit hole again.

The most basic of google searches explains it quite easily.

Sweden has been discussed in great detail. I am not going to go down that rabbit hole again.

The most basic of google searches explains it quite easily.
    If it’s easy, explain it here. Explain why they aren’t climbing like the rest of Europe.

I’m not even saying the Swedish approach is/was right. But why their numbers have consistently remained low since the beginning of the summer is curious. And no one is exactly sure why.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-26-2020 at 05:03 PM.

16. Likes:

Rojo (09-26-2020)

If it’s easy, explain it here. Explain why they aren’t climbing like the rest of Europe.

I’m not even saying the Swedish approach is/was right. But why their numbers have consistently remained low since the beginning of the summer is curious. And no one is exactly sure why.
    Sigh.

1. Sweden did shut down, they just didn’t do it with mandates, it was based on personal responsibility.
    2. Sweden is a small, homogeneous, country.
    3. The Swedish culture is a rule following culture that values obedience, so it didn’t need mandates. Most people followed the advice of the experts.
    4. Sweden experienced extremely high deaths at the beginning, so it paid a high price for what it is achieving now.
    5. What it is achieving now is not better or different than what countries that issued mandates achieved. They did not achieve herd immunity as they said they would.

Simply put, Sweden didn’t end up any better than other countries that had strict lockdowns, but suffered significantly higher deaths. So their plan was not one that anyone should follow.

Short answer: "Sweden's White".

Reprehensible.

Sigh.

1. Sweden did shut down, they just didn’t do it with mandates, it was based on personal responsibility.
    2. Sweden is a small, homogeneous, country.
    3. The Swedish culture is a rule following culture that values obedience, so it didn’t need mandates. Most people followed the advice of the experts.
    4. Sweden experienced extremely high deaths at the beginning, so it paid a high price for what it is achieving now.
    5. What it is achieving now is not better or different than what countries that issued mandates achieved. They did not achieve herd immunity as they said they would.

Simply put, Sweden didn’t end up any better than other countries that had strict lockdowns, but suffered significantly higher deaths. So their plan was not one that anyone should follow.
    That’s not what I asked. I wanted to know why their cases haven’t been rising like much of the rest of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Short answer: "Sweden's White".

Reprehensible.
    Reprehensible and, more importantly, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah, I brought this up early in the pandemic, you have to be old enough to remember it. Everyone thought you could get AIDS everywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_C...Proposition_64

Proposition 64 was a proposition in the state of California on the November 4, 1986 ballot. It was an initiative statute that would have restored Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) to the list of communicable diseases. The measure was defeated by a margin of 71% to 29%.

Activists associated with Lyndon LaRouche formed the "Prevent AIDS Now Initiative Committee" (PANIC) to place what became "Proposition 64" on the California state ballot. The initiative was written by Khushro Ghandhi.[1] who was also the president of PANIC. Brian Lantz was vice-president[2] and Ted Andromidas was treasurer[3]

Turn Off Ads?