Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Title says it all
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Myles Garrett on Burrow
    "The guy is tough, He took a lot of shots, and he bounced right back up. He was still putting deep ones on the money and he always kept his eyes downfield. He was never really worried about the rush unless it was really on him. That is better than some veteran quarterbacks.”
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I think the D can be fixed guys just have to get healthy Atkins and Daniels are big parts of the D that gave 200 yds rushing and they are missing.

The line will not be fixed this year...Burrow is getting hammered and Mixon has no room to run, anything he creates it takes all out effort for him to get 5 yds.

Good to see Sample step up after he was labled a bust.

How good is Brandon Wilson he's the ghost of Stanford Jennings back there.

Burrow is better than I expected. Two games in a short period of time without Rookie Minicamps and without a preseason is a tall task.

Tee Higgins may end up becoming a good WR, but he should have never been that pick. They should have gone with the best T or G.

The next draft has to be T and G in that order.

Their key players are getting old and look to be slowing a step. Dunlap failed to get much pressure last night, AJ looks slow, and Atkins has been unable to see the field.

Thursday night games suck.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think the D can be fixed guys just have to get healthy Atkins and Daniels are big parts of the D that gave 200 yds rushing and they are missing.

The line will not be fixed this year...Burrow is getting hammered and Mixon has no room to run, anything he creates it takes all out effort for him to get 5 yds.

Good to see Sample step up after he was labled a bust.

How good is Brandon Wilson he's the ghost of Stanford Jennings back there.
    I'll add defensive ends to the mix here. Hubbard, Lawson, and Dunlap have been beyond pedestrian these first two weeks. That will also not be fixed during the year. Having Atkins back might help them a bit, but Dunlap seems like he's aged rapidly the past two seasons while Hubbard may be the most below average d lineman to be treated like a star in the Bengals media book.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Burrow is better than I expected. Two games in a short period of time without Rookie Minicamps and without a preseason is a tall task.

Tee Higgins may end up becoming a good WR, but he should have never been that pick. They should have gone with the best T or G.

Their key players are getting old and look to be slowing a step. Dunlap failed to get much pressure last night, AJ looks slow, and Atkins has been unable to see the field.

Saw someone on twitter post

Rd 1 OL
    Rd 2 DL
    Rd 3 OL etc...right down through

Bad thing about it is they have attempted to address the line and just end up whiffing...they do have the kid from Miss St that they picked up from Miami at this point a guy working at Krogers in the meat dept would be better than what they have on the right side.

Saw someone on twitter post

Rd 1 OL
    Rd 2 DL
    Rd 3 OL etc...right down through

Bad thing about it is they have attempted to address the line and just end up whiffing...they do have the kid from Miss St that they picked up from Miami at this point a guy working at Krogers in the meat dept would be better than what they have on the right side.
    Hey!
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

KoryMac5 (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I'll add defensive ends to the mix here. Hubbard, Lawson, and Dunlap have been beyond pedestrian these first two weeks. That will also not be fixed during the year. Having Atkins back might help them a bit, but Dunlap seems like he's aged rapidly the past two seasons while Hubbard may be the most below average d lineman to be treated like a star in the Bengals media book.
    No push in the interior means you can get guys like Hubbard, Dunlap and Lawson trying to go wide all the time...Atkins should help as will Daniels. I agree the play has been uninspired, linebackers were substandard last night with Von Bell leading us in tackles from his safety spot.

It's a mess right now...

No push in the interior means you can get guys like Hubbard, Dunlap and Lawson trying to go wide all the time...Atkins should help as will Daniels. I agree the play has been uninspired, linebackers were substandard last night with Von Bell leading us in tackles from his safety spot.

It's a mess right now...
    Indeed. A mess. Funny how the only time a Bengals D lineman was in Baker's face he threw a pick!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Two things scare me with Burrow moving forward and neither of them are in his control:

1. If the offensive line doesn’t improve, he will not make it through the season. Period.

2. If he does make it through the season he is going to be playing from behind because of how bad the defense is. If he averages anything close to what he did last night passing Tim Couch might be an accurate comparison. The difference is Couch did his damage playing for Hal Mumme/Mike Leach at Kentucky.

14. Likes:

forfreelin04 (09-18-2020)

One thing to note, unless he really turns it on, AJ is gone after this season. They will have a lot of cap space to go get a FA, whether they do that or not is anyone's guess.

So far Burrow has gotten very good reviews from NFL people. The first few years of a rookie QB's contract is when you can really spend money elsewhere. I do think players will want to play with Burrow.

I think the Bengals will win anywhere from 4-6 games. I think Burrow has looked promising so far and will win more than one or two games. That may put them out of the running for Sewell but they should be able to revamp their OLine in the draft.

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Two things scare me with Burrow moving forward and neither of them are in his control:

1. If the offensive line doesn’t improve, he will not make it through the season. Period.

2. If he does make it through the season he is going to be playing from behind because of how bad the defense is. If he averages anything close to what he did last night passing Tim Couch might be an accurate comparison. The difference is Couch did his damage playing for Hal Mumme/Mike Leach at Kentucky.
    Burrows strengths are his curse...he is able to get away from pressure and he is very poised in the pocket, plus he wants to win. So doing what it takes to win is getting him hammered which long term is counter productive. the post game quotes are horrifying in regards to that...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

More of the same...

Laurel Pfahler
    @LaurelPfahler

C.J. Uzomah tore his Achilles’ tendon and is out for the year, per Zac Taylor. #Bengals
    8:17am · 18 Sep 2020
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 09-18-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

What I just realized last night and really bothers me is that after they went 2-14 last year, they had all their draft picks, each beginning a new round, and with those 7 selections, they found exactly one guy who could start on such a bad team Just one starter in the entire draft! I know expecting a bunch of all-pros or all picks to be starters is not reasonable, but I think that getting 2-3 starters from that draft for a 2-14 team is a fair expectation.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 09-18-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    What I just realized last night and really bothers me is that after they went 2-14 last year, they had all their draft picks, each beginning a new round, and with those 7 selections, they found exactly one guy who could start on such a bad team Just one starter In the entire draft. I know expecting a bunch of all-pros or all picks to be starters is not reasonable, but I think that getting 2-3 starters from that draft for a 2-14 is a fair expectation.
    Higgins was a bad pick IMO. But he will probably be the #3 WR come midseason.

They have two LB's who are seeing significant time on the field right now.

21. Likes:

UKFlounder (09-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?