Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    What I just realized last night and really bothers me is that after they went 2-14 last year, they had all their draft picks, each beginning a new round, and with those 7 selections, they found exactly one guy who could start on such a bad team Just one starter in the entire draft! I know expecting a bunch of all-pros or all picks to be starters is not reasonable, but I think that getting 2-3 starters from that draft for a 2-14 team is a fair expectation.
    They also didn't really have much of an offseason or any preseason. It's tough to get rookies up to speed anyway, but especially under these circumstances. The 3rd and 4th round LBs are playing quite a bit in Nickel situations. Higgins is already the #3 WR. It's too early to judge the rookies.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-18-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    They also didn't really have much of an offseason or any preseason. It's tough to get rookies up to speed anyway, but especially under these circumstances. The 3rd and 4th round LBs are playing quite a bit in Nickel situations. Higgins is already the #3 WR. It's too early to judge the rookies.

Seriously, when Burrow got his leg rolled on, I thought that was it for St. Joe. He even wears #9. But he got right back up.

They are going to ruin him if the online is not addressed, quickly. As in, they have 10 days to fix it. Kimo will come out of retirement to roll over on his leg.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Mike Thomas had some catches and earned some more playing time.

And if John Ross wasn’t a number 1 pick, he would have been long gone. He has this bizarre way of a pass getting throw his way and he just blurs through the frame with no apparent attempt at the ball. Burrow throws 61 passes and he had zero catches. Every other eligible offensive player had at least 3 catches.

I also think the Browns are loaded with talent. But they’ll only go as far as Mayfield takes them.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Taylor on the O line and changes "Nothing is off the table, that's for sure".

I wonder if they take a look at the rookie from Kansas at some point at Guard (Price can't stay healthy, Johnson is not a Guard)...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Mike Thomas had some catches and earned some more playing time.

And if John Ross wasn’t a number 1 pick, he would have been long gone. He has this bizarre way of a pass getting throw his way and he just blurs through the frame with no apparent attempt at the ball. Burrow throws 61 passes and he had zero catches. Every other eligible offensive player had at least 3 catches.

I also think the Browns are loaded with talent. But they’ll only go as far as Mayfield takes them.
    Ross is perplexing tons of talent and blows people away when they see him practice but once a game gets rolling he disappears...I like what Thomas was doing along with Higgins.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tee Higgins may end up becoming a good WR, but he should have never been that pick. They should have gone with the best T or G.

The next draft has to be T and G in that order.
    This mindset is how you end up panic picking Billy Price when Frank Ragnow goes right before. There wasn't a guard or tackle worth taking at #33. Hopefully there is an offensive lineman worth taking with wherever they pick in the first round this year. But you don't force it. The better plan would be to give AJ Green's money to Joe Thuney in free agency.

10. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-18-2020),Kingspoint (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    This mindset is how you end up panic picking Billy Price when Frank Ragnow goes right before. There wasn't a guard or tackle worth taking at #33. Hopefully there is an offensive lineman worth taking with wherever they pick in the first round this year. But you don't force it. The better plan would be to give AJ Green's money to Joe Thuney in free agency.
    I don't know, I get what you are saying, but I don't think at the time Price was a bad pick, just never turned out. Still think he should get a shot at G this season.

Just a brief look at who went within 10 picks of Higgins you see Gross-Matos (DE), Hunt (G), and Blacklock (DT) who all played positions of need. They could have traded down, I am sure there were a lot of takers if they had entertained that.

Then when they went WR in the 2nd, Jonah Jackson was sitting there in the 3rd who could have shored up the G position but they ended up going LB (which was fine.)

I think WR is a luxury position, and the Bengals should have been pretty well off with Boyd, Green, Tate, Ross, and Thomas this season.

Burrow is better than I expected. Two games in a short period of time without Rookie Minicamps and without a preseason is a tall task.

Tee Higgins may end up becoming a good WR, but he should have never been that pick. They should have gone with the best T or G.

Their key players are getting old and look to be slowing a step. Dunlap failed to get much pressure last night, AJ looks slow, and Atkins has been unable to see the field.

Thursday night games suck.
    Unbelievably stupid draft with the horrible Offensive Line. 2nd and 3rd picks should have been O-Line. There were a ton of quality WR's that could be picked up with the 4th pick.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    What I just realized last night and really bothers me is that after they went 2-14 last year, they had all their draft picks, each beginning a new round, and with those 7 selections, they found exactly one guy who could start on such a bad team Just one starter in the Yepentire draft! I know expecting a bunch of all-pros or all picks to be starters is not reasonable, but I think that getting 2-3 starters from that draft for a 2-14 team is a fair expectation.
    Yes. yes. yes. yes. yes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't know, I get what you are saying, but I don't think at the time Price was a bad pick, just never turned out. Still think he should get a shot at G this season.

Just a brief look at who went within 10 picks of Higgins you see Gross-Matos (DE), Hunt (G), and Blacklock (DT) who all played positions of need. They could have traded down, I am sure there were a lot of takers if they had entertained that.

Then when they went WR in the 2nd, Jonah Jackson was sitting there in the 3rd who could have shored up the G position but they ended up going LB (which was fine.)

I think WR is a luxury position, and the Bengals should have been pretty well off with Boyd, Green, Tate, Ross, and Thomas this season.
    It's a bad pick if it doesn't work out. That means that their "professional" assessment is no better than some idiot internet dude. They are supposed to know things that you and I don't because they have full access to the player, their tapes, interviews with their coaches, the ability to hire their own coaches that know what they are doing. Clearly the Bengals have a problem in that area and that makes any pick that doesn't work out a bad pick, even the ones like Ross who we knew had injury issues coming in and continued to have them throughout his career. Then there's the issue of Bengals' draft picks, higher draft picks, always getting injured. That's not a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Actually, you do force it. Target who you want. Trade up or down to get them. Play the draft. Don't let the draft play you.

In addition, use the draft picks wisely. They don't trade them or acquire them. They went into last year's draft along with the San Diego Chargers as the only team who hadn't traded or acquired any future picks from 2019 and beyond. That to me, shows that they are just cashing all of their paychecks and that they don't give a rat's patooty. There is no slack whatsoever that Bengals' Ownership should get. The Browns need to be run out of town on a rail. They need to be tarred and feathered. They are the only ones responsible for the product on the field. Not the Coaches. Not the Players. The Owners. And the responsibility of making Ownership responsible belongs to the Fans, who are sheep, at best, in Cincinnati. Hate it all you want, but it's true. And only a sheep would say, and I quote, "there's nothing a fan can do about it".

- - - Updated - - -

Bob Sheed is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's a bad pick if it doesn't work out. That means that their "professional" assessment is no better than some idiot internet dude. They are supposed to know things that you and I don't because they have full access to the player, their tapes, interviews with their coaches, the ability to hire their own coaches that know what they are doing. Clearly the Bengals have a problem in that area and that makes any pick that doesn't work out a bad pick, even the ones like Ross who we knew had injury issues coming in and continued to have them throughout his career. Then there's the issue of Bengals' draft picks, higher draft picks, always getting injured. That's not a coincidence.
    I think you are simplifying the draft quite a bit. Its not a crap shoot, but its far more difficult than you make it seem. You see guys all the time who some people were very high on bust, and others with major concerns go on to have very successful careers.

The Bengals are where they are because they whiffed on too many drafts. They whiffed on Ced and Jake Fisher, they missed on Ross, they missed on Price. They tried to rebuild their line through the draft by failed at doing so.

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-19-2020)

I think you are simplifying the draft quite a bit. Its not a crap shoot, but its far more difficult than you make it seem. You see guys all the time who some people were very high on bust, and others with major concerns go on to have very successful careers.

The Bengals are where they are because they whiffed on too many drafts. They whiffed on Ced and Jake Fisher, they missed on Ross, they missed on Price. They tried to rebuild their line through the draft by failed at doing so.
    The Bengals consistently whiff on the same thing that is missing in Ownership...the desire to win. That can't recognize it because they don't have it themselves. They are bankers and accountants and every decision is made like one a banker would make (except for not protecting the investment of Burrow...it's like they are intentionally trying to lose).

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Burrow is better than I expected. Two games in a short period of time without Rookie Minicamps and without a preseason is a tall task.

Their key players are getting old and look to be slowing a step. Dunlap failed to get much pressure last night, AJ looks slow, and Atkins has been unable to see the field.

Thursday night games suck.
    I don't mind the Higgins pick, I just didn't like that they waited until the 6th round to finally address the O-line. Damien Lewis, a guard for Burrow at LSU, was drafted towards the top of the 3rd by Seattle, and is impressing early.

The defense I saw last night looked as bad as ever. When you watch the Bengals play compared to teams like Baltimore/Kansas City, it's like they're moving in slow motion. Mayfield was untouched the entire game.

Burrow is the real deal, though, and is carrying this team right now.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?