Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

It's always a bit strange to me when I see other teams make little moves here and there during the season to try to make themselves a little better, give themselves an edge, help with rebuilding, etc.

Because the Bengals just take the phone off the hook, turn off the office lights, and lock the door when the season starts.

"Doing whatever it takes to try to be successful." That even sounds strange to say as a Bengals fan.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-23-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Here, I have outlined possible trade partners for the Bengals, if they want to try and unload Green, Dunlap, Atkins or Ross:

And here are the steps they have taken so far:
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Here, I have outlined possible trade partners for the Bengals, if they want to try and unload Green, Dunlap, Atkins or Ross:

And here are the steps they have taken so far:
    Dunlap and Atkins are the only two who have trade value. But I agree they won't be, which is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Dunlap and Atkins are the only two who have trade value. But I agree they won't be, which is dumb.
    You don't think Green has any trade value?

Personally, the Bengals trading Green makes the most sense. They care too much about wins and losses this year. Because of that they should be adding and not subtracting lineman. If they can get a decent pick for one of them, fine. Go for it. But the Bengals are in better shape with the receivers. So, there's less to gain, short term or long term, from keeping Green.

Atkins has value just based on track record...I would say 4th

Green has some and Dunlap has value too...lots of teams looking for players with their skill sets. Absorbing those contracts is another deal altogether but many teams are adept at circumventing the cap.

Most of us thought the Bengals wouldn't spend in FA either and they did. I would expect both Dunlap and Atkins to be moved...just to get them out of that locker room.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

It's always a bit strange to me when I see other teams make little moves here and there during the season to try to make themselves a little better, give themselves an edge, help with rebuilding, etc.

Because the Bengals just take the phone off the hook, turn off the office lights, and lock the door when the season starts.

"Doing whatever it takes to try to be successful." That even sounds strange to say as a Bengals fan.
    If it wasn't for nepostism, none of them would be in the football business.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If it wasn't for nepostism, none of them would be in the football business.
    Oh I get that. Nothing new there.

I was just remarking on when I see other teams making little moves here and there to make themselves better, put themselves in a better position to rebuild, etc, it always makes me wonder what it would be like to root for one of those teams.

The teams with ownership that finds a way. As opposed to team ownership that finds a way to make excuses.

Remember why they didn't trade Green and Atkins last year at the deadline?

"We're not in the business of making other teams better." -Mike Brown

The Brown family has always baffled me in regard to football operations. How can someone be so terrible at something for so long, and continue to do it? How can there be enjoyment there? I mean, the checks cash, I get it. But after a while, I would think they would want something more. They could hire a guy and continue to make the same amount of money. I just don't get it.

But there's a lot there about human nature that I clearly don't understand. To a lesser degree, I don't understand how guys like Bobby Hart can walk into PBS with their heads held high. How do people do it? Just for money? That's it? How do people go to work, to do a job they are terrible at, day after day? It would crush my soul to do that, no matter the paycheck.

In the case of Hart, he literally has to watch film every week of him being terrible at his job. That's even worse!
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 10-23-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    You don't think Green has any trade value?
    Not with that contract he doesn't.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-23-2020)

Mixon and WJIII out for Sunday.

I was just remarking on when I see other teams making little moves here and there to make themselves better, put themselves in a better position to rebuild, etc, it always makes me wonder what it would be like to root for one of those teams.

The teams with ownership that finds a way. As opposed to team ownership that finds a way to make excuses.

The Brown family has always baffled me in regard to football operations. How can someone be so terrible at something for so long, and continue to do it? How can there be enjoyment there? I mean, the checks cash, I get it. But after a while, I would think they would want something more. They could hire a guy and continue to make the same amount of money. I just don't get it.

But there's a lot there about human nature that I clearly don't understand. To a lesser degree, I don't understand how guys like Bobby Hart can walk into PBS with their heads held high. How do people do it? Just for money? That's it? How do people go to work, to do a job they are terrible at, day after day? It would crush my soul to do that, no matter the paycheck.

In the case of Hart, he literally has to watch film every week of him being terrible at his job. That's even worse!
    Seriously, I was just stating the obvious about why it's difficult to be a Bengals' fan. The entire family needs a serious ass-kicking. It's pretty clear that none of them have ever had the living crap beat out of them just once in their lifetime. As a result, they completely lack respect for other human beings. Getting the living crap beat out of you (because you deserved it) teaches you that you need to consider how your actions and attitudes effect others. Nobody has total freedom to do anything they want without repercussions. That's what's wrong with most of the United States over the last 30 years. Spoiled brats thinking they can do anything they want or say anything they want because they have never been put in their place and been made accountable for their offensive behaviors. This is the entire Brown Family, except for Paul Brown, of course.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Mixon and WJIII out for Sunday.
    As long as they don't run Gio inside the tackles more than he catches targets or runs outside the Offense should be fine. Hope they learned after the last Cleveland game that Burrow should stay in the shotgun the whole game.

Defensively, that's a killer. Could have neutalized OBJ. Now that will be tough.

Baffled?

How does gauranteed league-wide shared revenue and 20% annual increase in franchise value for four decades not explain everything this greedy, business-first family does?

That said, two decades ago, once the franchise and the other family businesses surpassed the 250 million dollar net worth plateau, Mike Brown, one improvement at a time, attempted one more risky move he had never tried before, every single year. I'll give him that. But, I feared and am being reinforced every day that my fears are real, that the next generation is worse than Mike Brown. Until proven otherwise, and I've always given credit to any positive move, no matter how small, the Bengals are in another downward spiral similar to the '90's based on two things, greed, and incompetency. Mike Brown was never incompetent. He always was committed with perfect moves that would increase revenue, franchise value and reduce expenses. His heirs make mistakes in this area, but are equally committed.

They spent all this money on Defense, when every dollar should have been split equally on the O-Line and Defense in the offseason, and then quality Linemen should have been drafted, too. Josh Jones was the easiest selection to make. A quality Guard was the next easiest. Add those two to a quality Free Agent C and a quality Free Agent Tackle and we would be looking at a .500 team. We don't even have the Defenders we signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Baffled?
    Yes, baffled. Because I don't think it is greed at this point.

In the 1990s? Sure. He was saving up to buy the team outright (which he did), and there was no cap floor (aka the Mike Brown Rule) at the time, so he fielded inferior teams and ran a bare-bones operation, to maximize profit. Then he pocketed the profits. This we know. All old news.

What baffles me is the present day operations there. Mike Brown wasn't trying in the 1990s. He's trying now, and has been for quite some time. But the results are still the same. He's a smart man. He has to know how bad he is at this. It wouldn't affect his bottom line much at all to bring in someone qualified. Yet he refuses.

It's just strange to me, that's all. There are countless examples in the world of this, so I don't find it surprising. I just don't understand that line of thinking. Doing something badly, over and over again.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-24-2020)

Yes, baffled. Because I don't think it is greed at this point.

In the 1990s? Sure. He was saving up to buy the team outright (which he did), and there was no cap floor (aka the Mike Brown Rule) at the time, so he fielded inferior teams and ran a bare-bones operation, to maximize profit. Then he pocketed the profits. This we know. All old news.

What baffles me is the present day operations there. Mike Brown wasn't trying in the 1990s. He's trying now, and has been for quite some time. But the results are still the same. He's a smart man. He has to know how bad he is at this. It wouldn't affect his bottom line much at all to bring in someone qualified. Yet he refuses.

It's just strange to me, that's all. There are countless examples in the world of this, so I don't find it surprising. I just don't understand that line of thinking. Doing something badly, over and over again.
    I think it's more a control issue than it is a financial one.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I think it's more a control issue than it is a financial one.
    Agreed Al Davis was like that as is Jerry Jones...difference is Al Davis was a genius for the better part of his career...Mike Brown not so much.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-24-2020),Kingspoint (10-24-2020),Revering4Blue (10-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?