Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because the cost is pennies....swapping a 6th for a 7th.
    Because stopping the run would get the Defense off the field sooner and give it more confidence. Winning comes from confidence. It's why the Ravens and Steelers always win and the Bengals do not. It's why franchise quarterbacks win and others do not.

Because getting the Defense off the field sooner gives the Offense better field position, and this gives the Offense more points, more confidence and more wins.

Because getting more 2nd and longs and 3rd and longs plays into the strength of this team right now, its coverage of the pass.

If anyone thinks this isn't worth the pennies of swapping a 6th for a 7th (or our 6th for their 6th the year after), then you have bought into the Brown family philosophy and deserve to have a perpetually losing franchise to root for.
    The Bengals are actually pretty good at getting teams to 3rd and longs. They're really bad at then getting those stops. I would guess they've given up 10+ conversions on 3rd & 7 plus over the last 2 weeks. They need a pass rusher, not a run stuffer.

If there was a move that could make the Bengals significantly better, then I'm all for it. I'm not really interested in a move that just takes them from 4 to 5 wins if that guy is going to be gone next year. I'd rather take the 4 losses and better draft position.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-19-2020),RiverRat13 (10-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If your strategy is to suck in 2020 to go after Sewell, then I agree with you. But, otherwise, losing cultures are bad for franchises. The examples are endless. "Just wait until next year" is a loser's mentality.
    I don't think "wait until next year" was the Bengals strategy for this year though. They spent in the offseason to make the defense better (and though it's still not great, it's better than last year), and they were (foolishly) hoping that the OL would take a step forward. I don't think they were realistically thinking playoffs, but the goals was to be better in Burrow's first year. And although the Bengals are 1-4-1, the team has taken a step forward. They've been in the game at the end in 3 losses and a tie.

Now they need to go out and invest in the offense. And it can't just be in the draft. Hopefully they can draft Sewell, but they will hopefully sign 2 starters in free agency.

One move I wonder if they would potentially make is to go after Allen Robinson. His contract is up after this season, and he's never played with a good QB. He would basically just take the money that went to AJ this year.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I don't think "wait until next year" was the Bengals strategy for this year though. They spent in the offseason to make the defense better (and though it's still not great, it's better than last year), and they were (foolishly) hoping that the OL would take a step forward. I don't think they were realistically thinking playoffs, but the goals was to be better in Burrow's first year. And although the Bengals are 1-4-1, the team has taken a step forward. They've been in the game at the end in 3 losses and a tie.

Now they need to go out and invest in the offense. And it can't just be in the draft. Hopefully they can draft Sewell, but they will hopefully sign 2 starters in free agency.

One move I wonder if they would potentially make is to go after Allen Robinson. His contract is up after this season, and he's never played with a good QB. He would basically just take the money that went to AJ this year.
    Right now the Bengals hold the 10th pick in the draft. Looking across the league, there are a lot of bad teams.

I don't think the Bengals went 'wait until next year' but I also think the pandemic has thrown their plans for a loop. Joe Burrow should have played a total of 10 professional games, instead of 6. While I think he has the makings of a great QB, he has shown the tendency to make a lot of rookie mistakes. At some point he is going to have to take the ball and go win a game, not come up just short. There is blame to go around, but at the end of the day, if you want to be a franchise QB, you win that game yesterday. I think if you look at the way the games have played out, they potentially could be 4-2 had they shown the ability to close late in games. Its something that needs to be learned, and it may be a good thing they are where they are because they need all the help they can get in the draft, but they aren't that far off. Heck, you could make the argument that they would have been 4-2 with Dalton at QB.

#Bengals OL grades vs the Colts:

Jonah Williams: 79.2
    Trey Hopkins: 70.0
    Michael Jordan: 67.1
    Bobby Hart: 61.9
    Alex Redmond: 56.3 right guard continues to be an issue Jonah looks like the real deal.

Also Atkins and Dunlap are not pleased with their roles Dunlap is going on Instagram to clarify his position at 7pm tonight...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

Also Atkins and Dunlap are not pleased with their roles Dunlap is going on Instagram to clarify his position at 7pm tonight...
    Carson Palmer 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Carson Palmer 2.0?
    They moved him to OLB and he is athletic enough to do it but he totally has not bought in...I would expect both to be moved by Nov I think that is why snaps have been reduced.

Shawn Williams and Phillips were both chirping last week as well so the above are not the only two unhappy.

Funny some guys are thriving in Lou's system like Bates and WJ III where others are struggling. I still never understood the move to the 3/4 and I realize they play a hybrid but they didn't have the personnel for that system.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-19-2020)

They moved him to OLB and he is athletic enough to do it but he totally has not bought in...I would expect both to be moved by Nov I think that is why snaps have been reduced.

Shawn Williams and Phillips were both chirping last week as well so the above are not the only two unhappy.

Funny some guys are thriving in Lou's system like Bates and WJ III where others are struggling. I still never understood the move to the 3/4 and I realize they play a hybrid but they didn't have the personnel for that system.
    He won’t be moved.

Bengals aren’t in the business of making other teams better.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

12. Likes:

WrongVerb (10-21-2020)

Dunlap was pretty tame on IG states he wants to play but won't challenge the Coaches vision for the team...he really used the platform to challenge everyone to do better in all aspects of life.

Supposedly Bobby Hart stopped in and fans jumped all over him...Dunlap had to address it during the session.

If they aren't planning on playing a 3-4 defense then I don't see Dunlap moving to OLB working out.

#Bengals OL grades vs the Colts:

Jonah Williams: 79.2
    Trey Hopkins: 70.0
    Michael Jordan: 67.1
    Bobby Hart: 61.9
    Alex Redmond: 56.3 right guard continues to be an issue Jonah looks like the real deal.

Wonder how long it's been since we had a Lineman with a 79+ grade? Nice to see.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

It still sucks having the Center week after week with a PFF grade below 70. Doesn't make me happy that the score in the 60's is an upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Right now the Bengals hold the 10th pick in the draft. Looking across the league, there are a lot of bad teams.

I don't think the Bengals went 'wait until next year' but I also think the pandemic has thrown their plans for a loop. Joe Burrow should have played a total of 10 professional games, instead of 6. While I think he has the makings of a great QB, he has shown the tendency to make a lot of rookie mistakes. At some point he is going to have to take the ball and go win a game, not come up just short. There is blame to go around, but at the end of the day, if you want to be a franchise QB, you win that game yesterday. I think if you look at the way the games have played out, they potentially could be 4-2 had they shown the ability to close late in games. Its something that needs to be learned, and it may be a good thing they are where they are because they need all the help they can get in the draft, but they aren't that far off. Heck, you could make the argument that they would have been 4-2 with Dalton at QB.
    Not the way Dalton is playing tonight.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Not the way Dalton is playing tonight.
    The Cowboys were a mess before they lost their QB, and possibly the primary reason why. Bad offensive line. Terrible defense. Dalton should feel right at home! LOL But both Andy and Ezekiel both had bad games.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Any updates on Xavier Su'a-Filo? He's not great, but he's still the best guard on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Any updates on Xavier Su'a-Filo? He's not great, but he's still the best guard on the roster.
    Out of the boot and doing rehab work on the side during practice

20. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    If they aren't planning on playing a 3-4 defense then I don't see Dunlap moving to OLB working out.
    Right. The guy who usually leads the league in batted passes, but has also lost a step?

..."let's move him to LB."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?