Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    That Burrow quote sounds like something leaders say to hopefully inspire improvement, as opposed to publicly reprimanding.

He really does seem to have wisdom beyond his years.

Not for long though, if he keeps taking shots like that. There was a point, early on, where David Klingler looked every bit the part of a rookie QB on his way to being an established QB. (Mike Brown didn't give Klingler any offensive line help either) Klingler had a great deep ball and accuracy to match. Pretty good decision maker too, he ran a shotgun-style "pro" offense out of Tennessee.

Then, early in his first full year as a starter, I remember he got absolutely BLASTED from behind, courtesy of the LT Rod "El Matador" Jones. It was one of many times he was lit up that season, but it stood out as a big one to me. He never seemed quite the same after that hit, and it marked the beginning of his steep downward trend in his productivity curve.

Now here we are, 30 years later, and it's hard not to see the exact same patterns emerging with Burrow and this shameful offensive line. One thing Burrow has in his favor, comparatively, is Jonah Williams blocking his blind side instead of Rod Jones. As a right-handed QB, better to have an abysmal right side of the line rather than the left. So there is that.

But no joke, if they don't have any options to fix the offensive line, and it sounds like they don't, they have to shut Burrow down until they do.
    Klingler was with Houston and the run and shoot offense...but yes he got blasted none the less.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Turner has said he likes Hart’s athleticism and his hard he plays, but Troy Blackburn went on some rant where he said something like “where are you going to find a better right tackle than Bobby Hart?” Everybody sho read thst here mentioned free agency, trades, draft, waiver wire, but it appears that this problem is on the coaching staff. AND at higher levels. It is an organizational failure

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Trade Burrow now for a first round pick next year? His stock is probably as high as it's going to be behind this line. Trade him, tank for Trevor, and then draft / sign a new o-line.

Yes I am joking... but man the Bengals are not treating this kid well.
    I know you are joking, but do you really think Trevor Lawrence would sign with the Bengals if he were drafted? I think the only reason Burrow did it is because he’s an Ohio kid and wanted the challenge. Any other QB would be pulling an Eli Manning and trying to go somewhere else.

I think the Bengals win next week. Minshew hasn’t looked the part this season and outside of Josh Allen the Jags don’t have much else in terms of pass rushing. I could be wrong but I think Burrow gets his first W.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    That Burrow quote sounds like something leaders say to hopefully inspire improvement, as opposed to publicly reprimanding.

He really does seem to have wisdom beyond his years.

Not for long though, if he keeps taking shots like that. There was a point, early on, where David Klingler looked every bit the part of a rookie QB on his way to being an established QB. (Mike Brown didn't give Klingler any offensive line help either) Klingler had a great deep ball and accuracy to match. Pretty good decision maker too, he ran a shotgun-style "pro" offense out of Tennessee.

Then, early in his first full year as a starter, I remember he got absolutely BLASTED from behind, courtesy of the LT Rod "El Matador" Jones. It was one of many times he was lit up that season, but it stood out as a big one to me. He never seemed quite the same after that hit, and it marked the beginning of his steep downward trend in his productivity curve.

Now here we are, 30 years later, and it's hard not to see the exact same patterns emerging with Burrow and this shameful offensive line. One thing Burrow has in his favor, comparatively, is Jonah Williams blocking his blind side instead of Rod Jones. As a right-handed QB, better to have an abysmal right side of the line rather than the left. So there is that.

But no joke, if they don't have any options to fix the offensive line, and it sounds like they don't, they have to shut Burrow down until they do.
    I bet Burrow NEVER sees ghosts like Klingler did. Burrow is just a different breed of QB.

Here's Klingler's game logs for his first three games --- hit as much as Burrow but...check the completion percentages and the rest. Klingler was never within 10 light years of being as good as Burrow is right now. And that's before it got into his head...

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gamelog/1992/

That said, I don't worry about him ending up mentally fried. I worry about him getting hurt, because he will absolutely do everything it takes to try and complete a throw. And his line is an abject joke. They should be professionally embarrassed.
    Last edited by membengal; 09-28-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Klingler was with Houston and the run and shoot offense...but yes he got blasted none the less.
    Yep that's right. That's me getting old. They were both orange I think?

It was Manning who went to Tennessee. I always get those two confused. (no.)
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I bet Burrow NEVER sees ghosts like Klingler did. Burrow is just a different breed of QB.

Here's Klingler's game logs for his first three games --- hit as much as Burrow but...check the completion percentages and the rest. Klingler was never within 10 light years of being as good as Burrow is right now. And that's before it got into his head...

That said, I don't worry about him ending up mentally fried. I worry about him getting hurt, because he will absolutely do everything it takes to try and complete a throw. And his line is an abject joke. They should be professionally embarrassed.
    Oh I agree. I forgot to mention that Klingler never even looked close to what Burrow has shown so far. It was a different time too. QBs took longer to acclimate to the pro level. QBs weren't protected like they are now. I was speaking more to the rapid decline of Klingler as he took hit after unblocked hit. And how watching Burrow take all those hits is eerily familiar.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Over time is what I worry about. There’s still time to fix the line but if they don’t Burrow is going to be Andrew Luck 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Andrew Luck was really good before he hung them up.

Lot of years of goodness.

That said, I would expect the Bengals to make a much better effort starting this upcoming off-season at making the line at least closer to average - and that is something that the Colts never did for Luck. Now as for why they didn't do that LAST off-season? Got me. We all knew it was a thing. That they didn't speaks volumes for the Turner's incompetence and the incompetence of everyone who let themselves be talked into is competence.
    Last edited by membengal; 09-28-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Andrew Luck was really good before he hung them up.

Lot of years of goodness.

That said, I would expect the Bengals to make a much better effort starting this upcoming off-season at making the line at least closer to average - and that is something that the Colts never did for Luck. Now as for why they didn't do that LAST off-season? Got me. We all knew it was a thing. That they didn't speaks volumes for the Tuner's incompetence and the incompetence of everyone who let themselves be talked into is competence.
    Indy was unique in that they went from SB contender, to terrible, to playoff contender in one season. Its hard to build through the draft when you are always drafting in the late first round.

The best thing for the Bengals is probably to go 4-12 and get a top 5 pick. No more luxury picks, build the lines.

The hits Carr took are completely different that what Burrow will/is taking this season. I am sure he wakes up sore after the game, but I doubt it was anywhere close to the vicious hits Carr took his rookie season.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-28-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-29-2020),Revering4Blue (09-29-2020),Sea Ray (09-28-2020)

2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    The Bengals have had their fair share of draft flops, but letting Whitworth go was one of the worst moves in franchise history. It's a crying shame that he won't end his career in Cincy.
    A shame for the Bengals, not for Whitworth. Going to LA has worked out pretty great for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-28-2020),Revering4Blue (09-29-2020)

Bengals ranks through 3 games...Spoiler alert it ain't pretty.

Total O: 27
    Rush O: 30
    Pass O: 20
    Scoring O: 25
    Total D: 23
    Rush D: 31
    Pass D: 6
    Scoring D: 14t
    Turnover +/-: 18t
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Really though, if we cannot protect Burrow he shouldn't play. It's borderline criminal to keep running the franchise out like this every week. I mean we all know Steelers week is coming sooner or later, and of course they're gonna add a little or a lot to every hit they get, penalty or not.

If we're just that bad that we can't protect our best player, then let's have him wait till we can. This season does not matter. The next 10 do.
    Watt drilled Houston's Quarterback in the chest with his helmet while he was twisted awkwardly and he was in the air and out of bounds. No call. Because it was intercepted and let the Steelers take a two-touchdown lead instead of Houston tying the game up. This is what Burrow will face and he could get his season ended.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Turner has said he likes Hart’s athleticism and his hard he plays, but Troy Blackburn went on some rant where he said something like “where are you going to find a better right tackle than Bobby Hart?” Everybody sho read thst here mentioned free agency, trades, draft, waiver wire, but it appears that this problem is on the coaching staff. AND at higher levels. It is an organizational failure
    Where are you going to find a better evaluator of talent than Troy Blackburn?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Watt drilled Houston's Quarterback in the chest with his helmet while he was twisted awkwardly and he was in the air and out of bounds. No call. Because it was intercepted and let the Steelers take a two-touchdown lead instead of Houston tying the game up. This is what Burrow will face and he could get his season ended.
    Nah... that was just good ole hard-nosed lunchpail blue-collar Steeler football right there.

- - - Updated - - -

He learned it all from Katie Bug.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-28-2020)

The Lighthouse for the Blind?

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-28-2020),Revering4Blue (09-29-2020)

Turn Off Ads?