Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

There's a million analogies.

It's like buying a million dollar house, and not fixing the roof.

It's reckless. And because Burrow is a human being, it's shameful.

And blaming the individuals on the oline for crappy performance, is like blaming the Customer Service Rep for crappy cable service.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

forfreelin04 (10-01-2020),Kingspoint (10-02-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My golfing buddy and I were out on the links yesterday, and discussing the game. Now we're both Brown fans, but grew up with both Ohio teams, and follow the Bengals too. And I only say that to give you a point of reference to what my buddy said when it came to Burrows .... "If they don't do something to fix that offensive line they'll 'Tim Couch' him". Granted, the Browns were an expansion team in '99; but the O-line was a huge problem for them for the next several years, and Couch got the crap beat out of him.

And it's not drawing a comparison between Burrows and Couch as far as talent and abilty goes. Burows wins that contest. But they both were stand-out QBs from the SEC, and both #1 draft picks.

You just can't invest that kind of money, throw one so immensely talented as this kid is, behind a **** offensive line. It's just not about protecting the QB, giving him time, as well as the plays to develop - but the offensive line is the heart of your team, and dictates the tempo (direction) of the game. Look at all the negative actions that occur, on both sides of the ball, from a bad O-line.

Couch was with the Browns for 5 years. And besides the physical beating he took (knees), he was sacked 166 times for 1,119 lost yards.

I see greatness in Burrows. Watching him drop back, and his quick release, amazes me. Would love to know his times vs other successful QBs.

I can understand the logic of some who say to sit Burrows this year because of the beating he is taking. But whose to say the Bengals will address/fix that issue going into next year? What did they do to address it going into this year? Especially when a Billy Price is still playing. And maybe the more they play the O-line may get better. Or your coaching staff keeps making adjustments to adress those weaknesses. But you keep playing Burrows. Unless your organization makes the decision to tank this season by starting a back-up, which accomplishes nothing (other then protecting Burrows).

The logic in the NFL for several years is to start these QBs because the transition is not as hard (different) between the two levels anymore. Probably true. So teams throw them to the fire that first season to gain knowledge and experience. That's just very hard to do behind a bad offensive line.
    As a UK fan, I can tell you Tim Couch was damaged goods when he made it to Cleveland. He played in the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach offense which is just a little pass happy. By the time he was drafted his arm was a noodle. Bruce Arians who was his offensive coordinator from the Browns and has coached numerous HOFers has even said as much.

If the Bengals don’t fix their defense, passing like he did against Cleveland will get him into Couch territory. Another factor to keep in mind with the o-line is the running game. Joe Mixon has been equally ineffective due to the line which is putting even more pressure on Burrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Another factor to keep in mind with the o-line is the running game. Joe Mixon has been equally ineffective due to the line which is putting even more pressure on Burrow.
    No running game would be just one of the negative results, mentioned in my post, of a bad offensive line. Three and outs, not being able to move the ball effectively, wears down your defense that by the seond half they're toast. A bad offensive line just has huge negative ramifications on both sides of the ball.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Nice catch.

Jones started out in 96, stunk as a Bengal for a few years, they cut him, then he immediately goes to the Super Bowl with the Rams.
    I do remember Rod. At least by that time they had drafted Willie and Ken Blackman. Picked up Braham on waivers from AZ.
    Signed Dave Cadigan. They were making efforts.
    They relied on McNally to turn anything into sweet wine but that 1993 OL besides Kozerski and Walters. Who were both getting past it due to injuries. It was worse than this line. Somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Watt drilled Houston's Quarterback in the chest with his helmet while he was twisted awkwardly and he was in the air and out of bounds. No call. Because it was intercepted and let the Steelers take a two-touchdown lead instead of Houston tying the game up. This is what Burrow will face and he could get his season ended.
    I saw that hit when it happened. It was ridiculous that there was no penalty, considering almost every hit on a QB is illegal these days...unless you're a Steeler.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-29-2020),Kingspoint (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I saw that hit when it happened. It was ridiculous that there was no penalty, considering almost every hit on a QB is illegal these days...unless you're a Steeler.

Had Burfict done this...
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

Nothing like that Steeler "love"...

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Had Burfict done this...
    Unless Burfict was a Steeler, of course. Then he's James Harrison. Or Shazier, before he ended his own career trying to lay a dirty hit.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-02-2020)

Bobby Hart is at a PFF grade of 65.6, his first time out of the 50s since 2015

Shows how bad RG is that it is actually making Hart look good
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-02-2020)

If you have 17 mins check out this awesome video from JT...really good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z466...ature=youtu.be

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-30-2020)

I did not realize that Mike Sherman and Jim Turner are cousins...Turners wife babysat for Taylor's kids as well, a very close relationship. This might explain some of the blind loyalty.

Its documented on John Sheeran's twitter from an email he received a while ago after he wrote an article about the team hiring Turner.

Blind Loyalty is what gets a lot of people canned.

19. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I did not realize that Mike Sherman and Jim Turner are cousins...Turners wife babysat for Taylor's kids as well, a very close relationship. This might explain some of the blind loyalty.

Its documented on John Sheeran's twitter from an email he received a while ago after he wrote an article about the team hiring Turner.

Blind Loyalty is what gets a lot of people canned.
    It was pretty well known that's the only reason the homophobe was hired.

This is truly pathetic but not surprising

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    No running game would be just one of the negative results, mentioned in my post, of a bad offensive line. Three and outs, not being able to move the ball effectively, wears down your defense that by the seond half they're toast. A bad offensive line just has huge negative ramifications on both sides of the ball.
    We saw the Defense get warn down the first two games to where they had nothing left in the 4th Quarters.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It was pretty well known that's the only reason the homophobe was hired.
    I didn't know they were Cousins, either. No wonder the ex-Cowboys O-Line Coach resigned so quickly. He knew early he would be replaced no matter how good a job he would do (though he was given no talent to work with and no time to do it).

Inbred organizations rarely work out well for their customers. Without the threat of losing a job, quality of product, safety of the employees and care for the customers are all minor details over the only thing that matters....the dinner conversation around the table at the Holidays.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?