Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

AJ isn’t helping Higgins now.

And , yes, Higgins does a TON more than Auden Tate. C’mon now. Higgins ran in the 4.5s I believe at his pro day. He didn’t burn it up, but Tate was a 4.7 guy. Just stop. Higgins ran away from LSU defenders in the national title game on the end around. And he just turned 21. He’s got plenty of speed.
    Last edited by membengal; 10-05-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Higgins speed is what sets him back from others. When AJ is gone, and they aren't using their best cover corner on him, will Higgins have enough speed to get separation from CB's?

Does Higgins do much different than Auden Tate? Don't get me wrong, I think he has been better than I expected this season, and there will be some growing pains along the way. I just don't know if he can succeed as a #1 WR in the league. And when you look at the current club, had they gone OT or G with the Higgins pick, they may have a chance at getting the #1 WR in next years draft. Would you rather have Ja'marr Chase or Higgins? Because right now if they don't go OL and DL with their first few picks it will be horrible mismanagement.
    Two things and we’ve been over this before:

1. Last years draft was the DEEPEST WR draft in years. I’m glad the Bengals took a receiver, just hoping it was the right one.

2. Who would you have taken on the offensive line even with trading back? Only two were taken in the second round and none were really ever linked to the Bengals.

My biggest fear is Chase Claypool will have a better career than Higgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

1. Last years draft was the DEEPEST WR draft in years. I’m glad the Bengals took a receiver, just hoping it was the right one.

2. Who would you have taken on the offensive line even with trading back? Only two were taken in the second round and none were really ever linked to the Bengals.

Claypool may end up with a better career, but I think Higgins was the safer pick, so I don't have an issue with it. The Bengals needed somebody who was ready to contribute right away considering what they're getting from Green now, and I don't think that's Claypool, even though his ceiling is really high.

The Steelers also just seem to have a way to turn every receiver they draft into more than was expected. It's very annoying. So even if he has a good career, it doesn't mean he would have done that on another team.

Um. Not for nothing, but Higgins is already showing to be very good receiver in the NFL. Now. At current.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (10-05-2020)

Joe Goodberry tweeted out some Next Generation Stats yesterday. AJ Green is getting the least amount of separation in the NFL at 1.6 yards per target. Higgins is 2.1 and Boyd is 2.8. NFL league average is 2.84.

My takeaways - they need another receiver and holy crap Joe Burrow is accurate.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-06-2020)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-4-...wards-and-more

5. JONAH WILLIAMS IS TURNING OUT TO BE A BRIGHT SPOT ON THE CINCINNATI BENGALS’ POROUS OFFENSIVE LINE WHILE JOE BURROW CONTINUES TO PLAY LIKE A TOP-10 QUARTERBACK

As bad as Cincinnati's offensive line has been, one lineman is starting to hold his own: 2019 first-round pick Jonah Williams. The Alabama product didn’t play a single down last year as a rookie due to an injury. He was plugged in as the starting left tackle right away in 2020 for the Bengals and performed good, not great, in his first time seeing the field since 2018 in college; he allowed seven pressures over his first two games.

However, Williams has performed exceptionally well in pass protection in his past two games against Philadelphia and Jacksonville, surrendering only three pressures while earning pass-blocking grades above 80.0 in each outing. In Week 4, Williams was the fifth-highest graded tackle in pass protection.
    Last edited by membengal; 10-06-2020 at 06:24 PM.

10. Likes:

Hypnotoad (10-06-2020),Kingspoint (10-07-2020),redsfandan (10-06-2020),RiverRat13 (10-06-2020),UKFlounder (10-06-2020),WrongVerb (10-06-2020)

Jonah Williams locking down Burrow's blind side is critical.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

1. WR is a position that it takes a season for you really to get an idea if the player is going to be good or not. So far Higgins has looked OK, better than I thought, but nothing that has made me say "wow." Without elite speed I think its difficult to make that "wow" impression. If it was a deep draft, they could have waited and picked one up later.

2. I would have traded back and drafted an OT. I think what made matters worse was they didn't draft OLine, then went LB in the 3rd with Johan Jackson sitting there.

My problem with the Higgins pick will remain this, it was a luxury pick when they needed help on the OLine, DLine and at LB. The next two G's off the board are currently starting right now. Higgins may very well become a good WR for the Bengals, and I will still think that was the wrong pick. Burrow needs to be kept upright, adding a weapon for him is nice, but it won't keep him upright. Johah Williams looks like the real deal, but other than him and Hopkins, the Bengals have three massive holes along the line that will need to be filled. They missed a chance having the #1 pick in each round.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    1. WR is a position that it takes a season for you really to get an idea if the player is going to be good or not. So far Higgins has looked OK, better than I thought, but nothing that has made me say "wow." Without elite speed I think its difficult to make that "wow" impression. If it was a deep draft, they could have waited and picked one up later.

2. I would have traded back and drafted an OT. I think what made matters worse was they didn't draft OLine, then went LB in the 3rd with Johan Jackson sitting there.

My problem with the Higgins pick will remain this, it was a luxury pick when they needed help on the OLine, DLine and at LB. The next two G's off the board are currently starting right now. Higgins may very well become a good WR for the Bengals, and I will still think that was the wrong pick. Burrow needs to be kept upright, adding a weapon for him is nice, but it won't keep him upright. Johah Williams looks like the real deal, but other than him and Hopkins, the Bengals have three massive holes along the line that will need to be filled. They missed a chance having the #1 pick in each round.
    I don't at all disagree the positions you listed were needs, and I've said as much numerous times when it comes to the offensive line. I do, however, disagree that WR was a luxury pick. Boyd is a slot receiver, and while he's a very good one, he's still a slot receiver. If they don't take Higgins or another WR where they did, are you comfortable rolling out modern day AJ Green (coming off missing the past year and a half), Auden Tate and John Ross as your outside receivers? Equally as importantly, even if your answer is yes, Green and Ross are free agents after this year, so if you kick the can down the road on outside WR, after this year, you're looking at Auden Tate as the only one under contract, and he's up after 2021. Offensive line was and is a massive need for this team, but of the available options at the top of round 2, I don't think they made the wrong move there.

14. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (10-06-2020),membengal (10-06-2020),RiverRat13 (10-06-2020),WVRed (10-06-2020)

I thought WR was a luxury pick as well going into the season, because I thought AJ would be back to being a top receiver. He's not, and so I think that pick looks a lot better now. Do you remember the receivers we were rolling out last year? There was nobody for Dalton to throw the ball to. Obviously you don't want Burrow to get killed behind a bad OL, but it also is no good if he doesn't have anybody who can get open. Maybe the thought process was that they thought the OL would be more like what they had at the end of last season, Burrow could help the OL out with his mobility, and so pass catchers were a higher priority. That looked questionable the first 3 weeks. It looked better last week, so we'll see if that can continue. They're going to need to be better to keep Burrow from getting killed against Baltimore.

Jacksonville is currently 2nd to last in the NFL in sacks and pressure. This was a good week for Turner to stick up for Bobby Hart and company. As for Williams, I mean, he's a 1st round pick. What else were we to expect? It's still a little early. Our OL is so horrid that Williams's stats make him look like Anthony Munoz.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I don't at all disagree the positions you listed were needs, and I've said as much numerous times when it comes to the offensive line. I do, however, disagree that WR was a luxury pick. Boyd is a slot receiver, and while he's a very good one, he's still a slot receiver. If they don't take Higgins or another WR where they did, are you comfortable rolling out modern day AJ Green (coming off missing the past year and a half), Auden Tate and John Ross as your outside receivers? Equally as importantly, even if your answer is yes, Green and Ross are free agents after this year, so if you kick the can down the road on outside WR, after this year, you're looking at Auden Tate as the only one under contract, and he's up after 2021. Offensive line was and is a massive need for this team, but of the available options at the top of round 2, I don't think they made the wrong move there.
    THe issue isn't that they didn't draft an OL. The issue is that there appeared to be NO PLAN to even address the OL from the start of Free Agency going forward. The draft just culminated in their ineptness as an organization to scout offensive linemen. I remember listening to Mo Egger talk about a few weeks ago and it's scary how bad we've been. BUT, hey. . . status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    AJ isn’t helping Higgins now.

And , yes, Higgins does a TON more than Auden Tate. C’mon now. Higgins ran in the 4.5s I believe at his pro day. He didn’t burn it up, but Tate was a 4.7 guy. Just stop. Higgins ran away from LSU defenders in the national title game on the end around. And he just turned 21. He’s got plenty of speed.
    Running away from defenders? LOL. You need to stop ejaculating down Burrow's leg and rewatch that play. Physical guy? Yes. But he didn't run away from anyone. I mean, he had to run over a few guys just to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    THe issue isn't that they didn't draft an OL. The issue is that there appeared to be NO PLAN to even address the OL from the start of Free Agency going forward. The draft just culminated in their ineptness as an organization to scout offensive linemen. I remember listening to Mo Egger talk about a few weeks ago and it's scary how bad we've been. BUT, hey. . . status quo.
    There was no plan because they incorrectly thought they sufficiently addressed the offensive line the previous offseason. Just about anyone outside the organization knew that would be a losing strategy, but regardless, that's the direction they chose.

21. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-07-2020)

Turn Off Ads?