Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 2: New Era or More of the Same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It still sucks having the Center week after week with a PFF grade below 70. Doesn't make me happy that the score in the 60's is an upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the way Dalton is playing tonight.
    I think too often we get lost in the W-L and not look at the development. The Bengals would be better off this season with Dalton, but Burrow should be the far better QB in the long run. The best thing they can do this year is get another high draft pick to build the line. Give Burrow the year of development as well as full offseason to get ready for 2021.

2. Turn Off Ads?

JOHN ROSS
    WR, CINCINNATI BENGALS

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports John Ross' agent, Brad Cicala, and the Bengals have discussed a potential trade before the November 3 deadline.
    The talks apparently didn't "get too far." Ross was activated on Sunday but only played a single snap and didn't record a target. It's clear the organization has mentally moved on from the 24-year-old after declining his fifth-year option over the summer and benching him in Week 2 following a dropped pass. Ross needs a fresh start to have any fantasy value moving forward.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
    Oct 20, 2020, 9:48 AM ET
    Who knows, maybe they could get a 7th round pick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think too often we get lost in the W-L and not look at the development. The Bengals would be better off this season with Dalton, but Burrow should be the far better QB in the long run. The best thing they can do this year is get another high draft pick to build the line. Give Burrow the year of development as well as full offseason to get ready for 2021.
    No, the Bengals wouldn't be better off this season with Dalton. With largely the same offense last year, he had the worst year of his career and was 2-11 as a starter, so I don't buy they'd be 4-2 with Dalton. Yes, they have Jonah this year, who has been solid, but the line as a whole is still very weak. Last night showed what Dalton is with a shaky offensive line + offensive weapons, and it wasn't pretty. The Bengals' weapons aren't as good as the Cowboys', but that otherwise sounds a lot like what he'd be playing with here.

On top of that, it'd be foolish to sit a 23 year old QB as a rookie and lose one of the years you have the huge advantage of an inexpensive QB contract. He needs to start getting experience, and I'd prefer they not wait until the guy is already 24 years old to start doing that. We're in agreement they should have fixed their offensive line in the offseason before putting a rookie behind it, but they stubbornly refused to do so.

5. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (10-20-2020),RiverRat13 (10-20-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Build that 0-line and you guys will be fine.

7. Likes:

GAC (10-23-2020)

Speaking of O line looks like they got one pick right...

LT Jonah Williams current PFF stats & rank among 76 qualifying tackles:

74.3 overall grade (26th)
    77.4 pass-blocking grade (17th)
    97.2 pass-blocking efficiency (T-26th)
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    No, the Bengals wouldn't be better off this season with Dalton. With largely the same offense last year, he had the worst year of his career and was 2-11 as a starter, so I don't buy they'd be 4-2 with Dalton. Yes, they have Jonah this year, who has been solid, but the line as a whole is still very weak. Last night showed what Dalton is with a shaky offensive line + offensive weapons, and it wasn't pretty. The Bengals' weapons aren't as good as the Cowboys', but that otherwise sounds a lot like what he'd be playing with here.

On top of that, it'd be foolish to sit a 23 year old QB as a rookie and lose one of the years you have the huge advantage of an inexpensive QB contract. He needs to start getting experience, and I'd prefer they not wait until the guy is already 24 years old to start doing that. We're in agreement they should have fixed their offensive line in the offseason before putting a rookie behind it, but they stubbornly refused to do so.
    You don't think Dalton helps them win the game over Philly? You don't think Dalton helps them win the game against the Colts? How about the 3 point loss to the Chargers? Because I think with Dalton at QB they win both of those games. They played two games where they were beaten soundly, the Ravens and Browns. Other than those games, they have played some very weak teams. I do believe with an average veteran QB they beat the Chargers, Colts, Jags, and Eagles. Combined those teams have seven wins, with the Colts having 4 of them, and the Bengals accounting for two of them.

I do not see a happy ending here by Nov 4...

I also see the Zac Taylor countdown starting as well

https://theathletic.com/2148732/2020...e&redirected=1

You don't think Dalton helps them win the game over Philly? You don't think Dalton helps them win the game against the Colts? How about the 3 point loss to the Chargers? Because I think with Dalton at QB they win both of those games. They played two games where they were beaten soundly, the Ravens and Browns. Other than those games, they have played some very weak teams. I do believe with an average veteran QB they beat the Chargers, Colts, Jags, and Eagles. Combined those teams have seven wins, with the Colts having 4 of them, and the Bengals accounting for two of them.
    Dalton was awful here last year...with basically the same team and the same coaching. He was awful last night with a bad line in front of him...

Maybe Philly he avoids a few of those sacks due to being a Veteran but I don't see them being close in any of the other losses...the rest of the league knows the book on Dalton. Great guy, good back up, but below average starter on bad teams.

13. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-20-2020),RiverRat13 (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Dalton was awful here last year...with basically the same team and the same coaching. He was awful last night with a bad line in front of him...

Maybe Philly he avoids a few of those sacks due to being a Veteran but I don't see them being close in any of the other losses...the rest of the league knows the book on Dalton. Great guy, good back up, but below average starter on bad teams.
    At this point yes, he is a backup or an average starter. You know who are bad teams? The Eagles, Jags, and Chargers. I don't think its too much to ask to have the Bengals beat the Colts the way the game went Sunday.

The Bengals have played a very easy schedule to start the season. If you think the Bengals would have the same record with Andy as the starter I disagree with you.

At this point yes, he is a backup or an average starter. You know who are bad teams? The Eagles, Jags, and Chargers. I don't think its too much to ask to have the Bengals beat the Colts the way the game went Sunday.

The Bengals have played a very easy schedule to start the season. If you think the Bengals would have the same record with Andy as the starter I disagree with you.
    They played plenty of games against bad teams last year, and Dalton's record was 2-11, and he was benched for a rookie midway through the season. This isn't 2015 Andy Dalton we're talking about; it's whatever he is at this point in his career. What you're overlooking is that Burrow was good enough in some of those close losses for the Bengals to be in the game in the first place. I'm not sure that's the case, at least not for all of them, if Dalton was still the QB.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-20-2020)

I can't see the Bengals getting much for Ross, Dunlap or Geno in trades, but they should still be willing to deal them. The two vets would save a few million in cap money this year that they could roll over. Even if they got say two 6ths and a 7th, they could use one or two of those in the offseason to trade for someone else's unneeded vet.

18. Likes:

redsfandan (10-20-2020)

Dalton's results here would be the same as the results in Dallas last night.

And I can't even count how many throws into tight windows I have seen Burrow make already that I NEVER saw Dalton make. Palmer? Sure. But Dalton?

I wish him well, but let's not act like Dalton is winning any games behind this " highly offensive" offensive line.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-20-2020),membengal (10-21-2020),Playadlc (10-21-2020),Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Who knows, maybe they could get a 7th round pick for him.
    The Bengals need to do something with Ross and one of the two kickers.
    Thats two roster spots being wasted when this team needs help at other positions.

Regarding Dalton and Burrow, per PFF, Burrow has the highest passing grade on throws under 19 yards downfield in the NFL, and if extended over the full season, it would be the 4th best grade over the past 10 years. Yes, he needs to stop holding the ball so long on some plays to avoid sacks, yes he needs to improve his downfield accuracy, but he's been very good outside of the Baltimore game. The Bengals would not have more wins with Andy Dalton.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-20-2020),membengal (10-21-2020),Revering4Blue (10-20-2020),RiverRat13 (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    The Bengals need to do something with Ross and one of the two kickers.
    Thats two roster spots being wasted when this team needs help at other positions.
    Exactly.

If every one of the Bengals offensive linemen is better than every single practice squad offensive lineman throughout the NFL, then I would be very surprised.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?