Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP RBG

RIP RBG

Truly a national treasure.

2. Likes:

bounty37h (10-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP RBG

She was way cool... in a non modern BS way.

She always reminded me of the King Missile song "Jesus Was Way Cool"

RBG was way cool
    Everybody liked RBG
    Everybody wanted to hang out with her
    Anything she wanted to do, she did

Never heard a bad word about the her as a person, and that includes from people that are considered hardcore right to those on the fringe left. Her resume and life have been historical in more ways than one, and her classification of being a trailblazer if beyond reproach.

RIP Justice Ginsburg
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

6. Likes:

bounty37h (10-06-2020),Revering4Blue (09-19-2020),Stray (09-19-2020)

Disagreed with her a lot politically, but she was a giant and a trailblazer. Humongous loss. RIP

Very intelligent, very principled, very articulate jurist.
    After Stevens died in 2010, she became the leader of the liberal contingent of SCOTUS, which has been in the minority for four years and counting. She is well known for her articulate minority opinions championing progressive causes.
    Biggest accomplishment was the minority opinion in Ledbetter v Goodyear (2007), which led to the Ledbetter fair pay act of 2009.

Never really got the appeal. But I don't pay much attention to the SCOTUS and don't really understand why people care about it. Historically it's been shown to be a fossil institution that mostly follows the whims of politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Never really got the appeal. But I don't pay much attention to the SCOTUS and don't really understand why people care about it. Historically it's been shown to be a fossil institution that mostly follows the whims of politics.
    You don’t get why people care about the Supreme Court?

Like, what?

Yeah, why does this matter:

Brown v. Board of Education (1954)

Issue: Do racially segregated public schools violate the Equal Protection Clause?

Result: Yes. A unanimous Court overturned Plessy v. Ferguson and held that state laws requiring or allowing racially segregated schools violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court famously stated "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal."

Importance: The Brown decision is heralded as a landmark decision in Supreme Court history, overturning Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) which had created the "separate but equal" doctrine. In Plessy, The Court held that even though a Louisiana law required rail passengers to be segregated based on race, there was no violation of the Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protection Clause so long as the accommodations at issue were "separate, but equal." By overturning this doctrine, the Brown Court helped lay the ground for the civil rights movement and integration across the country.
    Or:

Gideon v. Wainwright (1963)

Issue: Does the Constitution require that any individual charged with a felony, but unable to pay for a lawyer, be guaranteed the free assistance of legal counsel?

Result: Yes, according to a unanimous Supreme Court. The Court held that the Sixth Amendment right to assistance of counsel applies to criminal state trials and that "lawyers in criminal court are necessities, not luxuries."

Importance: Along with the right to assistance for state criminal defendants, the Gideon decision had the effect of expanding public defender systems across the country.
    Or:

Roe v. Wade (1973)

Issue: Does the Constitution prohibit laws that severely restrict or deny a woman's access to abortion?

Result: Yes. The Court concluded that such laws violate the Constitution's right to privacy. The Court held that, under the Fourteenth Amendment Due Process Clause, states may only restrict abortions toward the end of a pregnancy, in order to protect the life of the woman or the fetus.

Importance: Roe has become a center-piece in the battle over abortion-rights, both in the public and in front of the Court.
    Or....

The Supreme Court is extremely important to American society. Kinda blown away by someone who thinks it doesn’t matter.

**disclaimer: I am not taking a side on anything above, I’m simply pointing out the important of the Supreme Court.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Like, what?

Or:

Or:

Or....

The Supreme Court is extremely important to American society. Kinda blown away by someone who thinks it doesn’t matter.

**disclaimer: I am not taking a side on anything above, I’m simply pointing out the important of the Supreme Court.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Never heard a bad word about the her as a person, and that includes from people that are considered hardcore right to those on the fringe left. Her resume and life have been historical in more ways than one, and her classification of being a trailblazer if beyond reproach.

RIP Justice Ginsburg
    I have a friend who interviewed for the job of Supreme Court Librarian and his interviewers were Scalia and Ginsburg. He said try as he might to find something to dislike in Scalia, he couldn't, and despite his feeling that Scalia was dead wrong on just about every opinion he had authored, and having figured he must therefore be a horrible person, the justice was pleasant, openly friendly, patient and generally a pleasure to meet.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have a friend who interviewed for the job of Supreme Court Librarian and his interviewers were Scalia and Ginsburg. He said try as he might to find something to dislike in Scalia, he couldn't, and despite his feeling that Scalia was dead wrong on just about every opinion he had authored, and having figured he must therefore be a horrible person, the justice was pleasant, openly friendly, patient and generally a pleasure to meet.
    You might already know this, but Ginsberg and Scalia were best friends. They often went out to dinner and the Opera together.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

14. Likes:

SunDeck (09-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Like, what?

Or:

Or:

Or....

IOW, the Court mostly follows the politics of the age.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You might already know this, but Ginsberg and Scalia were best friends. They often went out to dinner and the Opera together.
    This is widely known. The SCOTUS are co-workers. They have have a lot in common. Sotomayor and Cavanaugh will be good work buddies too, if they aren’t already. Why is this a big deal?
    Doesn’t everybody have friends (especially work friends) and family who have dramatically different morals and values than you?

17. Likes:

SunDeck (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Sounds like a good guy. However, at the same time Scalia upheld the death penalty repeatedly, saying it was protected by the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    This is widely known. The SCOTUS are co-workers. They have have a lot in common. Sotomayor and Cavanaugh will be good work buddies too, if they aren’t already. Why is this a big deal?
    Doesn’t everybody have friends (especially work friends) and family who have dramatically different morals and values than you?
    May I introduce you to Facebook? :-)
    On a personal note, I have really struggled in the last couple of years to not fall into the trap of assuming anyone who holds different views from me is evil. I think maybe I'm getting old and stiff minded, but I am truly trying to work on channeling more positive energy. Last night I watched three episodes of Queer Eye and came away feeling pretty uplifted.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

20. Likes:

919191 (09-29-2020),Revering4Blue (09-26-2020),RichRed (09-29-2020),Rojo (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Most people do. Others let politics ruin their lives and families.

22. Likes:

Rojo (09-26-2020)

Turn Off Ads?