Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 9-19-20 Reds vs White Sox

Re: 9-19-20 Reds vs White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I get it jup that you are frustrated and you know a lot about the game.

But do you think putting say Garrett and Bradley in to hold it at 2-0 magically produces 2 runs for the offense?

Maybe that pitching choice inspires them to do so, but maybe not.
    No one knows what will happen. But that cuts both ways.

Lets say Lorenzen walks out there and gives up a 5 spot in the 1st tomorrow - more winnable than tonight ???

You only can play one game at a time. One pitch at a time, One at bat at a time. And you have to bread a culture of intensity where there is a SOLE FOCUS on what you can control, which is the present.

Waiting for tomorrow is what got the Reds where they are today, begging for scraps rather than at the top of the heap. And you can call me a jilted Bauer fan if you like, no sweat off my back, but at some point the Reds have to look at themselves in the mirror and decide what they want to be. And that lackadaisical culture is what leaves them sitting and smiling in the dugout when they are getting their butts kicked. Or didn't you notice the smiley Votto and Suarez sitting there in the 8th

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    No one knows what will happen. But that cuts both ways.

Lets say Lorenzen walks out there and gives up a 5 spot in the 1st tomorrow - more winnable than tonight ???

You only can play one game at a time. One pitch at a time, One at bat at a time. And you have to bread a culture of intensity where there is a SOLE FOCUS on what you can control, which is the present.

Waiting for tomorrow is what got the Reds where they are today, begging for scraps rather than at the top of the heap. And you can call me a jilted Bauer fan if you like, no sweat off my back, but at some point the Reds have to look at themselves in the mirror and decide what they want to be. And that lackadaisical culture is what leaves them sitting and smiling in the dugout when they are getting their butts kicked. Or didn't you notice the smiley Votto and Suarez sitting there in the 8th
    Saying you can only control the present may work as a mantra or motivational technique but you have to consider the future too.

I don’t care for the dugout laughing during a loss but I don’t know what makes these guys tick.

Or didn't you notice the smiley Votto and Suarez sitting there in the 8th
    If you call Votto a "POS" again in the game thread tomorrow, how long is it going to take you to edit it?

5. Likes:

fondfoat (09-20-2020),Ron Madden (09-19-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-19-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Trevor Bauer's postgame t-shirt: "Houston cheated." #Reds

7. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (09-19-2020),goreds2 (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    They'd won 6 in a row.

This isn't a video game where everyone's stamina resets when you play another exhibition. Today's pitching decisions impact the next 4 days.

If you're going to lose, minimize the impact of it. That's the one thing they accomplished tonight.
    Yes, everything you say is correct and you can look at it that way, but that speaks to strategy not culture. And my point is - what it takes to bread a winning culture. Nothing more nothing less.

I'll be willing to bet you almost anything Bauer takes the ball Wed. - WHY - because he has that sense of urgency and you can see it on the mound when he pitches.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds are still very much in the race. I believe they are now tied with the Brewers and Giants for the last wild card spot. I have no idea what the tie breaker is, but being tied for that spot is a decent place to be in.
    If for discussion sake you hand the 2nd place spots to Miami and STL.

That still means 2 of SF, Philly, Mil, and Cincy will make it. So yeah, not a bad spot to be in. Gotta win though. And one of Mil/Cin will probably eliminate the other in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    As it turned out it would not have mattered with Stephenson as Reds never scored anyway, BUT, he's not a great option in close game. Maybe Jones?
    well, it kind of mattered. If we could've kept it withing 3 runs, the Sox might have felt they had to use their best relievers and handed us a slight advantage for tomorrow since we would've have most of ours with 3 days rest.

More than seeing the results had the Reds been managed with a sense of urgency tonight, I’d rather see the results had the strike zone been called correctly. It went both ways and it was atrocious.

Saying you can only control the present may work as a mantra or motivational technique but you have to consider the future too.

I don’t care for the dugout laughing during a loss but I don’t know what makes these guys tick.
    You are at a disadvantage because you are not close enough to the dugout to really understand it and I realize that. So I don't denigrate your opinion because of it. But that doesn't mean I am going to back down just because someone thinks I am some jilted fan going off.

The Reds have a problem. Have had a problem. And it is going to take a real effort to change the culture to what it needs to be. And management needs to send the right messages as to what that culture needs to be. And waiting for tomorrow isn't it.

It is always amazing how things seem to work out tomorrow. The sky very rarely falls. You take care of today and expect that you have players that will step up tomorrow. And that expectation pulls them forward into being able to fill the shoes they need to fill.

You are at a disadvantage because you are not close enough to the dugout to really understand it and I realize that. So I don't denigrate your opinion because of it. But that doesn't mean I am going to back down just because someone thinks I am some jilted fan going off.

The Reds have a problem. Have had a problem. And it is going to take a real effort to change the culture to what it needs to be. And management needs to send the right messages as to what that culture needs to be. And waiting for tomorrow isn't it.

It is always amazing how things seem to work out tomorrow. The sky very rarely falls. You take care of today and expect that you have players that will step up tomorrow. And that expectation pulls them forward into being able to fill the shoes they need to fill.
    Genuine. I’m confused.

Are you saying that you are connected to the Reds “dugout” and have info that tells you there is a problem afoot? Not something you can pick up from watching them, but you are really “close to the dugout?”

15. Likes:

fondfoat (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If you call Votto a "POS" again in the game thread tomorrow, how long is it going to take you to edit it?
    As long as it takes for me to realize that isn't exactly what my point was.

You aren't passionate enough that you ever yell something at the TV or in the stands in the heat of the moment- feel sorry for you my man.

But if it makes you feel any better, I will make sure and add a comment about why I edited it

Genuine. I’m confused.

Are you saying that you are connected to the Reds “dugout” and have info that tells you there is a problem afoot? Not something you can pick up from watching them, but you are really “close to the dugout?”
    Nope not at all. But there is other ways that information associated with the dugout, clubhouse and culture surfaces Kal. And maybe you are privy to that kind of information also.

Yes it is colored by the lenses it comes through, but that is always true of information. And knowing those lenses makes it pretty easy to read biases and the like.

Love your comment about a problem afoot - the problem is the train wreck the Reds have been - doesn't take inside information to figure that one out. Just look at their record of the last few years. Cultures don't change overnight and the Reds are making progress, but sometimes it takes stepping on the gas.

Bobby Nightengale Retweeted
    Christopher Kamka
    @ckamka

#WhiteSox games with 5+ home runs

2020: 5 in 52 games
    2017-19: 5 in 485 games

I swear David Bell must read "Coaching for Dummies" because he makes such insane decisions. Let me see....Leave the hottest hitter I have who is getting on base like crazy out of the lineup because they are starting a lefty. Of course he has hot lefty's in Japan for years and is just now finding his stroke, and we pay him $7M a year to Platoon. Next chapter, late in a game I can only warm up one reliever at a time and when the guy on the mounf gets in trouble, we have to leave him in while we get another one warmed up. Bunt to him is a type of cake.

I have never seen a team of hitters with such a lack of plate discipline and situational hitting in over 40 years. Garcia is great with his glove, but he cannot pull outside sliders, Hell he cannot even make contact with them! Someone need to tell him to try to hit everything to right as they are throwing him outside and letting him flail away.

Overall a complete joke, with the starting pitching this team has gotten, they should be up with the Cubs.

20. Likes:

Jomama (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Ondrusekitis.
    Ondrusek allowed a run in 50 or so appearances out of 285. He was hammered for multiple runs in 10 or so appearances.

Turn Off Ads?