Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: 9-19-20 Reds vs White Sox

Re: 9-19-20 Reds vs White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He’s not bad. But he’s an extreme fly ball pitcher in GAPB. He’s a bad fit for this team.
    Lol what are you watching? These weren’t wall scrapers. The dude has a straight fastball with poor command and getting tattooed! Those jacks are going out in basically any park. He’s been absolutely pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This Jose Garcia thing...I don’t get it.

I’m no Freddy Galvis superfan but come on...
    Have you been watching this team play infield this year? People talk about the OF, but the IF is worse. I'd argue that Castellanos is a better RF than Galvis is a SS. People called Galvis the defensive infielder on the team because the rest of the IF was Votto, Moose/VanMeter and a very disappointing Suarez.

Garcia's play at SS has improved the team significantly IMO. I wish they had an alternative, but they really don't.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Lol what are you watching? These weren’t wall scrapers. The dude has a straight fastball with poor command and getting tattooed! Those jacks are going out in basically any park. He’s been absolutely pathetic.

Stephenson should have been converted to the pen earlier in his career. By the time Reds made the move, his fastball declined. He always threw fly balls, but now he’s heavily dependent on breaking balls.

His breaking pitches are good and normally he’s better than last night. But without a more effective fastball, it’s tough against hitters like the Chisox. They know what to expect, what to swing at, etc.

IMO Reds were too focused on every good arm becoming a starter. They were often late to make the switch. Economics, probably. I sense today with the new coaching, maybe that is changing (e.g., TJ Antone). As for Bob Steve it’s probably time for him to move on.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-20-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    OK - and I am not missing that. I do know baseball, and pitching in particular.

But at some point you have to focus on winning the only game you can win -TODAYS, because you are not playing tomorrows game, you only play todays. And at some point, the Reds (collectively) need to learn the urgency it takes to WIN. That missing urgencies is WHY THE OFFENSE IS FLAT.

You have the cart before the horse my man. You breed a culture of urgency first, then you win games
    I agree that there is a culture problem, but I think the exact opposite is true. This team has a collection of players who aren't used to winning. When there is something to play for, or when something goes wrong, they all seem to try to win the game with one swing. That's when we see guys like Jesse Winker, with a Career OPS well over .800 swinging from one knee and going 0 for 23. I agree they need a culture change, but they need cool confidence that allows them to play their game under pressure and stop all of this pressing they seem to be doing. Other than Bauer, the only guy with a little of that is Moustakas and he seems to be pressing as well. I think he'd be a better all around player if he could play 1B or move back to 3B. The rest of the roster is either kids (Garcia, Stephenson, Aquino even Senzel), guys who've been through a lot of losing here (Votto, Suarez, Winker, Barnhart) or guys who have been every day guys on losing teams elsewhere (Castellanos, Galvis).

Shogo, Casali and Goodwin are guys who don't seem to press as much and I think the team looks better when they are out there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

He was solid last year. Last night he was terrible, but overall his xFIP is only 4.74 with a crazy 53% HR/FB rate. I am not going to judge a pitcher off of one bad inning against a team that smashes.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He was solid last year. Last night he was terrible, but overall his xFIP is only 4.74 with a crazy 53% HR/FB rate. I am not going to judge a pitcher off of one bad inning against a team that smashes.
    I mean ya, 53 is not sustainable, but 20 might be with his arsenal. That’s not all luck what he was throwing yesterday. XFIP is a great guide, but I don’t buy it normalizing one this case. It’s really hard to get an xfip more than like 5.50, but many guys are worse than that bc of their lack of command and spin rate.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Turn Off Ads?