Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds patience at the plate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds patience at the plate

Is it coincidence this club is doing well now that Reds hitters are drawing more walks? They still strand runners but are scoring more runs it would seem. I’m sure someone can sort the stats here.

Re: Reds patience at the plate

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Is it coincidence this club is doing well now that Reds hitters are drawing more walks? They still strand runners but are scoring more runs it would seem. I’m sure someone can sort the stats here.
    I think they’ve realized that’s their only chance to get on base.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

They actually lead MLB in walk % at 11.6%.

They are 7th in Isolated Slugging at .190.

They have the 4th lowest Soft Contact % at 15.1%. They have the 7th Highest Hard Contact %.

Yet, they are last in MLB with a .244 Batting Average for Balls Put in Play. A full 20 points below the Rangers who are 29th. Also 75 points below the White Sox, who we just saw.

They strike out quite a bit, they have the 7th worse K%. Some good offenses are higher (worse) in that category, though.

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt
    Since 9/13, Reds batters have 40 walks, most in MLB.

Since that same date, the Rockies have 4 walks.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-21-2020)

Good post. Record since 9/13?

Reds have the fewest base hits in Major League Baseball. That includes a number of teams with fewer games played.

They have a walks and long ball approach. They also have the 7th highest K rate in MLB.

Call it the Adam Dunn approach, three true outcomes.

The test is runs scored. Reds are 27th in MLB. I don’t consider that a passing grade.

Some bad luck but the approach isn’t yielding enough runs scored this season. Couple of more guys adept at beating the shift spraying line drives around the diamond couldn’t hurt.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-21-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Turn Off Ads?