Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most liked Reds team (personalities) since the BRM

Most liked Reds team (personalities) since the BRM

Has there ever been a more well-liked, charismatic Reds team since the BRM than this year's team?

Nothing in the early to mid 80s comes to mind.
    The Larkin/Davis/Bad Boys/Sweet Lou era could be a possibility.
    Not the Griffey/Dunn years.
    And nothing in the 21st century that I can think of either.

But this year's team....

The "prickliest" one, to coin a Homer Bailey term, has to be who? Iglasias? Even that's quite a reach. They are all clubhouse guys. Not a "cancer" anywhere, not even close. Even when they were doing poorly, which has been most of the season. Always picking each other up.

And the mid-season pickups seem pretty laid back too, fit right in.

Regardless of what happens this season, it's been almost as fun to watch them interact as it has been to watch them improve to try to make a run at the end here.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Most liked Reds team (personalities) since the BRM

The 1999 team was a blast to watch, with a bunch of really great guys.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-20-2020),Edd Roush (09-20-2020),goreds2 (09-21-2020),Kilgore_Trout (09-21-2020),klw (09-21-2020),Nathan (09-21-2020),Old school 1983 (09-21-2020),Reds (09-21-2020),Ron Madden (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Has there ever been a more well-liked, charismatic Reds team since the BRM than this year's team?

Nothing in the early to mid 80s comes to mind.
    The Larkin/Davis/Bad Boys/Sweet Lou era could be a possibility.
    Not the Griffey/Dunn years.
    And nothing in the 21st century that I can think of either.

But this year's team....

The "prickliest" one, to coin a Homer Bailey term, has to be who? Iglasias? Even that's quite a reach. They are all clubhouse guys. Not a "cancer" anywhere, not even close. Even when they were doing poorly, which has been most of the season. Always picking each other up.

And the mid-season pickups seem pretty laid back too, fit right in.

Regardless of what happens this season, it's been almost as fun to watch them interact as it has been to watch them improve to try to make a run at the end here.
    Usually the attitudes start after about 1/2 season. With only 60 games, there just isn't enough time for people to get on each other's nerves and demanding trades is kind of pointless in a season that they probably all feel lucky to just be having a season. And of course, having so many playoff spots means less players are frustrated with playing meaningless games.

7. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The 1999 team was a blast to watch, with a bunch of really great guys.
    The 2009 and 2010 teams were really fun because you had a super young core of players (Bruce, Cueto, Votto, Homer, Stubbs) brimming with potential and some interesting older players sheparding them along like Harang, Arroyo, and Rolen. It was alot of fun seeing them finally put it together.

The mid 00's were usually good guys who were just not very good baseball players.
    The '95 team was fun too with some interesting personalities like Wells and Brantley but with fewer of the young guys that '99 and '10 had.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

9. Likes:

757690 (09-21-2020),Bob Sheed (09-21-2020),goreds2 (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Usually the attitudes start after about 1/2 season. With only 60 games, there just isn't enough time for people to get on each other's nerves and demanding trades is kind of pointless in a season that they probably all feel lucky to just be having a season. And of course, having so many playoff spots means less players are frustrated with playing meaningless games.
    True. Then you have seasons like the Matt Kemp year where the shine wore off, like week 2.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2012 was a fun team with Phillips and Arroyo and Cueto and Leake leading the way personality wise. Even Latos and his wife added extra entertainment value. Chapman was the closer for the first time which was exciting.

It obviously helped that they were good, but also, the enjoyment was muted by their playoff experience.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

goreds2 (09-21-2020)

Haven’t really connected to this group like ‘99 or ‘12, but probably more the nature of the season. They all seem nice I guess, but not all that captivating from a personality perspective IMO.

Too few games and too many guys to fall in love yet, it's like the first month of JHS, the guy you loved last week might not be the one you love this week and the season hasn't been long enough to love or hate all of them yet.

not as lovable as those great red teams of 1982=3 with krenchicki, bob shirley , what a prodigious unit even the underappreciated bob owchinko

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    not as lovable as those great red teams of 1982=3 with krenchicki, bob shirley , what a prodigious unit even the underappreciated bob owchinko
    I hated Brad Gulden, though! I don't know what it was, but I just didn't like that guy!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

but he had great chemistry with keefe cato

Loved those late 80s teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Since we're looking for teams I like the most since the BRM, I'll take 1985 with Rose, Perez and Concepcion.

If you don't count them, 1990 I guess. I liked Larkin, Davis, O'Niell, Sabo, Hatcher, Duncan, Doran, Oliver, Charlton, Myers, Browning and Rijo real well. I always thought Rob Dibble was a major jerk and he almost negates all of that by himself, but the way they beat the A's will always be pretty awesome. "We got the Ring, We got the money... "
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The 1992 team via the Piniella / Dibble fight. Bop Roberts etc.

Video of fight: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlw...-1992/29088264
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    The 1992 team via the Piniella / Dibble fight. Bop Roberts etc.

Video of fight: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlw...-1992/29088264
    Bip Roberts. Always loved the name. Would not surprise me if his brother was named Bop.

Turn Off Ads?