Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB & MLBPA commit 10 Million to further black participation in baseball

MLB & MLBPA commit 10 Million to further black participation in baseball

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-21-2020),Chip R (09-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: MLB & MLBPA commit 10 Million to further black participation in baseball

Good. Cool.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

CrackerJack (09-22-2020),zigbeenuthouse (09-21-2020)

Sounds racist to me.

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    Sounds racist to me.
    How so?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

If it was white instead of black the media and minority groups would lose their minds. Why do we just throw money at a group of people who at a large part doesn't even like baseball. What they need to do is say donate money to poor communities who are struggling to stay a float with youth baseball.....you know White, Black, and Hispanic. I'm so sick and tired of sports and well all entertainment getting political.....just play the damn sport and keep your opinions to yourself.

Let the kids play!

I find your comments absurd, but this conversation doesn't belong on this part of the board so no use in continuing here.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

How is it absurd? The double standard in this country is absurd. Please explain to me how that's not racist.

Let the kids play!

*Black

how you gonna capitalize "million" but not Black? c'mon now.

10M sure don't seem like much of an effort IMO. Years ago I read a study on why baseball was dying in the inner city, poor communities among the youth. It's an expensive sport. A city pours some blacktop, puts up a couple hoops, and the kids provide the basketball. With baseball, you have to build, maintain the field, and then there's the myriads of equipment costs. Something most poor families can't afford.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

How is it absurd? The double standard in this country is absurd. Please explain to me how that's not racist.
    I grew up in an all-white, middle class suburb. We had organized sports there for kids of all age groups, and why? Because those families were able to AFFORD the taxes or necessary expenditures, costs, put forth the INVESTMENTS to provide those opportunities to their kids.

It's not the same in those poor "neighborhoods". The needed income and monies is not there, or at the level needed, to provide those kids with the same opportunities. These families are doing everything they can to just survive, feed and cloth their families. If you don't believe that then drive through some of those neighborhoods. That's all the evidence you need.

Why should it bother you that a private organization(s) want to do a charitable and good thing by donating monies to start youth programs in these impoverished communities?

I don't see how reaching out and helping someone, regardless of their ethnicity, is racist? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

The Operator (09-22-2020)

This isn't the place to have this conversation. If you would like to do so, please request access to the Politics & Religion sub-forum.

Turn Off Ads?