Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Suprised that the Bell thread didn't get resurrected.

So since it was his fault that the Reds were mired in mediocrity, should he get credit for leading them back into the playoff picture? Is he responsible for the energy we are seeing in the dugout?

Unless I am missing something, I think his in-game strategy has been largely the same as it always was. But the bullpen has settled in, the rotation continues to carry the team, and the offense has hit a few timely homeruns.

What am I missing? Is he still a terrible manager? Or a leader of men?

2. Likes:

GAC (09-29-2020),M2 (09-22-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Suprised that the Bell thread didn't get resurrected.

So since it was his fault that the Reds were mired in mediocrity, should he get credit for leading them back into the playoff picture? Is he responsible for the energy we are seeing in the dugout?

Unless I am missing something, I think his in-game strategy has been largely the same as it always was. But the bullpen has settled in, the rotation continues to carry the team, and the offense has hit a few timely homeruns.

What am I missing? Is he still a terrible manager? Or a leader of men?
    The roster is better now. They’ve sorted through many players and the changes have been positive. Bell’s style of fairly aggressively managing using bench and bullpen in-game works better with a deeper roster.

In any event, given the Reds’ hot streak, he’s obviously going to be back. Hopefully they can do a few things in the off-season to keep improving the ballclub.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-22-2020 at 08:31 AM.

It is only fair to give a person some credit when things go well as he gets some blame when things go bad. But how about a few observations of his different managing style down recently vs. earlier.

1. Pitched Iglesias in 8th yesterday when game was on the line with Braun up and going thru heart of Brewers lineup vs. holding him to only 9th in save only situation.
    2. He let Castillo pitch the 7th inning when he was in trouble to get a big K with man on 3rd less than 2 outs...vs. running out relievers who aren't as good as our starting pitchers even at the 80+pitch mark.
    3. Went right to Amir Garrett when we he decided to go to the bullpen.

Bell was engrossed in trying to play the entire roster early in season...so it's good we'll letting our best players be in crunch situations especially given it was only a 60 game season to begin with.

5. Likes:

AlaskaReds (09-24-2020),forfreelin04 (09-22-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-22-2020),Strider (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    It is only fair to give a person some credit when things go well as he gets some blame when things go bad. But how about a few observations of his different managing style down recently vs. earlier.

1. Pitched Iglesias in 8th yesterday when game was on the line with Braun up and going thru heart of Brewers lineup vs. holding him to only 9th in save only situation.
    2. He let Castillo pitch the 7th inning when he was in trouble to get a big K with man on 3rd less than 2 outs...vs. running out relievers who aren't as good as our starting pitchers even at the 80+pitch mark.

Bell was engrossed in trying to play the entire roster early in season...so it's good we'll letting our best players be in crunch situations especially given it was only a 60 game season to begin with.
    Fair points.

I do think holding the starters back early was a deliberate attempt to help ease them back in after the shutdown. We've seen what this odd season as done to pitcher health. I don't think you could just throw them back the deap end and expect them to stay healthy.

Now they are stretched out.

7. Likes:

HammerTime (09-22-2020)

I'm not sure it was absolutely clear who the "best" players were at the beginning of the season. The abrupt ending to Spring Training 1.0 left many more questions than answers.

It is easy to malign players like Jankowski, Davidson, and Ervin (and others). But none of them had the benefit of a "normal" spring training with "regular" spring training games. That doesn't necessarily make them dross, but simply victims of a screwed-up season.

I'm not at all convinced that Bell suddenly has the "right" players. I think he simply has the players who are "hot" at the moment. The historically horrendous BABIP, is correcting itself, and bullpen stats are correcting themselves. The timing couldn't be better. Is the team strong enough to advance in the post-season? That remains to be seen.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

M2 (09-22-2020),onehand (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm not sure it was absolutely clear who the "best" players were at the beginning of the season. The abrupt ending to Spring Training 1.0 left many more questions than answers.

It is easy to malign players like Jankowski, Davidson, and Ervin (and others). But none of them had the benefit of a "normal" spring training with "regular" spring training games. That doesn't necessarily make them dross, but simply victims of a screwed-up season.

I'm not at all convinced that Bell suddenly has the "right" players. I think he simply has the players who are "hot" at the moment. The historically horrendous BABIP, is correcting itself, and bullpen stats are correcting themselves. The timing couldn't be better. Is the team strong enough to advance in the post-season? That remains to be seen.
    - I do get it can take time to know you're roster....but some of this wasn't rocket science and feels like Bell/Dick Williams over-complicated it

1. Bullpen usage has been my biggest problem with Bell....It was a given Amir, Lorenzen and Iglesisas were the main three guys and the rest I can see was a crapshoot. I can give Bell a pass on Lorenzen's failing that cost us games....but we didn't use Amir enough. This crap of not ever pitching him more than 1 inning....he pitched 16.2 innings and touched 18 games out of 55. Nate Jones got 21 games and 18.2 innings...does that seem like a good idea?
    2. The 2nd issue for me goes along with #1...we pulled our starters just about every game after the 6th inning regardless in the first 30 games of the year....only to put more innings on a bad bullpen that lost games (or any chance of close games we could have won). There were at least 5 games off my memory that Mahle, Gray, Castillo, etc...were not even struggling even a little bit and we're pulled in 6th inning and then the bullpen gets torched. Bell was adamant to pull the starters at the 6th inning remark regardless of how the starter actually felt. In the end Bell managed like this was a marathon (162 games) instead of spring (60 games) and we should have gone into season with a gameplan to lean on starters more innings when they looked strong enough.
    3. The final issue was Bell's nonsense of pinch running/defensive subs on dudes so much in 6-7th inning. So we're pulling Votto/Winker/Cast...so now when they come up for a final at bat....we're batting guys like Janko, Van Meter, etc... in games we're tied/behind along with a bad bullpen.

The rest of the problems you could argue were more on Dick Williams with why Davidson vs. Acquino...Colon/Van Meter at 2b, Ervin stinking was a downer, I wish we'd have cut bait on Barnhardt and let Stephenson platoon at catcher which was all about trying to keep him from getting MLB service time, etc.. All those little things might end up costing us a post season that will boil down to 1-2 games here and there.
    Last edited by UK Reds Fan; 09-23-2020 at 10:23 AM.

11. Likes:

Phoenix2 (09-23-2020)

Agree with your view UK. We are now seeing the urgency we should have seen all along. I believe this last week to ten games is the first taste of success we've seen in two years. And we're going to declare Bell a successful manager?

13. Likes:

onehand (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Agree with your view UK. We are now seeing the urgency we should have seen all along. I believe this last week to ten games is the first taste of success we've seen in two years. And we're going to declare Bell a successful manager?
    For the record, I am not calling him a success. I am just ironically pointing out the silliness of hot takes over things Bell has really no control over good or bad.

I just think it's funny a Fire Bell thread doesn't get bumped over other night now, even though IMO he hasn't switched anything up or improved in any way.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    For the record, I am not calling him a success. I am just ironically pointing out the silliness of hot takes over things Bell has really no control over good or bad.

I just think it's funny a Fire Bell thread doesn't get bumped over other night now, even though IMO he hasn't switched anything up or improved in any way.
    I think he definitely has improved. He has calmed down significantly, imo.

He is making far fewer moves within the game. Earlier, he was pulling starters like Winker, Votto and Cast early the game for pinch hitters or pinch runners. That has stopped. He also has played Shogo more regularly, which clearly has helped him.

At the beginning, he was running out of players in the 8th inning with a 30 player roster. That isn’t happening now, not even close.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

HUHUH (09-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think he definitely has improved. He has calmed down significantly, imo.

He is making far fewer moves within the game. Earlier, he was pulling starters like Winker, Votto and Cast early the game for pinch hitters or pinch runners. That has stopped. He also has played Shogo more regularly, which clearly has helped him.

At the beginning, he was running out of players in the 8th inning with a 30 player roster. That isn’t happening now, not even close.
    He did all of this last night, no?

As long as the Reds are playoff relevant, wouldn't matter to me if Wilbur Castellini was manager.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Let's give it five more games and then talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Let's give it five more games and then talk.
    Yep. If it was rash to call for his firing after a month of losing, it is even more rash to call for him to stay after a week of winning.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

No. He still needs to go. I don't even think Managers matter that much, but he has noticeably hurt the cause this year. Can him asap. Today would be fine IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

MR X (09-22-2020),Tony Cloninger (09-22-2020),wally post (09-23-2020)

People looove to ascribe narrative to events mostly unfolding in a statistically random way. The players care now but they didn't care earlier in the season! Bell must have given a locker room speech!

25. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-22-2020),Edd Roush (09-22-2020),HammerTime (09-22-2020),M2 (09-22-2020),mth123 (09-22-2020),RedsManRick (09-23-2020),Revering4Blue (09-23-2020),RichRed (09-23-2020),westofyou (09-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?