Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 243

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Reds Diaspora
    Posts
    2,032

    David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Suprised that the Bell thread didn't get resurrected.

    So since it was his fault that the Reds were mired in mediocrity, should he get credit for leading them back into the playoff picture? Is he responsible for the energy we are seeing in the dugout?

    Unless I am missing something, I think his in-game strategy has been largely the same as it always was. But the bullpen has settled in, the rotation continues to carry the team, and the offense has hit a few timely homeruns.

    What am I missing? Is he still a terrible manager? Or a leader of men?

  2. Likes:

    GAC (09-29-2020),M2 (09-22-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,790

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Suprised that the Bell thread didn't get resurrected.

    So since it was his fault that the Reds were mired in mediocrity, should he get credit for leading them back into the playoff picture? Is he responsible for the energy we are seeing in the dugout?

    Unless I am missing something, I think his in-game strategy has been largely the same as it always was. But the bullpen has settled in, the rotation continues to carry the team, and the offense has hit a few timely homeruns.

    What am I missing? Is he still a terrible manager? Or a leader of men?
    The roster is better now. They’ve sorted through many players and the changes have been positive. Bell’s style of fairly aggressively managing using bench and bullpen in-game works better with a deeper roster.

    In any event, given the Reds’ hot streak, he’s obviously going to be back. Hopefully they can do a few things in the off-season to keep improving the ballclub.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-22-2020 at 09:31 AM.

  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    CHATTANOOGA, TN USA
    Posts
    343

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    It is only fair to give a person some credit when things go well as he gets some blame when things go bad. But how about a few observations of his different managing style down recently vs. earlier.

    1. Pitched Iglesias in 8th yesterday when game was on the line with Braun up and going thru heart of Brewers lineup vs. holding him to only 9th in save only situation.
    2. He let Castillo pitch the 7th inning when he was in trouble to get a big K with man on 3rd less than 2 outs...vs. running out relievers who aren't as good as our starting pitchers even at the 80+pitch mark.
    3. Went right to Amir Garrett when we he decided to go to the bullpen.


    Bell was engrossed in trying to play the entire roster early in season...so it's good we'll letting our best players be in crunch situations especially given it was only a 60 game season to begin with.

  6. Likes:

    AlaskaReds (09-24-2020),forfreelin04 (09-22-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-22-2020),Strider (09-26-2020)

  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Reds Diaspora
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    It is only fair to give a person some credit when things go well as he gets some blame when things go bad. But how about a few observations of his different managing style down recently vs. earlier.

    1. Pitched Iglesias in 8th yesterday when game was on the line with Braun up and going thru heart of Brewers lineup vs. holding him to only 9th in save only situation.
    2. He let Castillo pitch the 7th inning when he was in trouble to get a big K with man on 3rd less than 2 outs...vs. running out relievers who aren't as good as our starting pitchers even at the 80+pitch mark.
    3. Went right to Amir Garrett when we he decided to go to the bullpen.


    Bell was engrossed in trying to play the entire roster early in season...so it's good we'll letting our best players be in crunch situations especially given it was only a 60 game season to begin with.
    Fair points.

    I do think holding the starters back early was a deliberate attempt to help ease them back in after the shutdown. We've seen what this odd season as done to pitcher health. I don't think you could just throw them back the deap end and expect them to stay healthy.

    Now they are stretched out.

  8. Likes:

    HammerTime (09-22-2020)

  9. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    5,152

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Bell was engrossed in trying to play the entire roster early in season...so it's good we'll letting our best players be in crunch situations especially given it was only a 60 game season to begin with.
    I'm not sure it was absolutely clear who the "best" players were at the beginning of the season. The abrupt ending to Spring Training 1.0 left many more questions than answers.

    It is easy to malign players like Jankowski, Davidson, and Ervin (and others). But none of them had the benefit of a "normal" spring training with "regular" spring training games. That doesn't necessarily make them dross, but simply victims of a screwed-up season.

    I'm not at all convinced that Bell suddenly has the "right" players. I think he simply has the players who are "hot" at the moment. The historically horrendous BABIP, is correcting itself, and bullpen stats are correcting themselves. The timing couldn't be better. Is the team strong enough to advance in the post-season? That remains to be seen.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

    “We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

  10. Likes:

    M2 (09-22-2020),onehand (09-22-2020)

  11. #6
    We have a pool and a pond Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A pond is good for you.
    Posts
    1,793

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    As long as the Reds are playoff relevant, wouldn't matter to me if Wilbur Castellini was manager.
    He said he was curious about the crowd but didn’t want to stay and talk. “I’m heading out,” he said. “This is a super-spreader event.”

  12. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,431

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Let's give it five more games and then talk.

  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    289

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    It is only fair to give a person some credit when things go well as he gets some blame when things go bad. But how about a few observations of his different managing style down recently vs. earlier.

    1. Pitched Iglesias in 8th yesterday when game was on the line with Braun up and going thru heart of Brewers lineup vs. holding him to only 9th in save only situation.
    2. He let Castillo pitch the 7th inning when he was in trouble to get a big K with man on 3rd less than 2 outs...vs. running out relievers who aren't as good as our starting pitchers even at the 80+pitch mark.
    3. Went right to Amir Garrett when we he decided to go to the bullpen.


    Bell was engrossed in trying to play the entire roster early in season...so it's good we'll letting our best players be in crunch situations especially given it was only a 60 game season to begin with.
    Agree with your view UK. We are now seeing the urgency we should have seen all along. I believe this last week to ten games is the first taste of success we've seen in two years. And we're going to declare Bell a successful manager?

  14. Likes:

    onehand (09-22-2020)

  15. #9
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,920

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    No. He still needs to go. I don't even think Managers matter that much, but he has noticeably hurt the cause this year. Can him asap. Today would be fine IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  16. Likes:

    MR X (09-22-2020),Tony Cloninger (09-22-2020),wally post (09-23-2020)

  17. #10
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,416

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Let's give it five more games and then talk.
    Yep. If it was rash to call for his firing after a month of losing, it is even more rash to call for him to stay after a week of winning.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  18. #11
    he/him *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,162

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    People looove to ascribe narrative to events mostly unfolding in a statistically random way. The players care now but they didn't care earlier in the season! Bell must have given a locker room speech!

  19. Likes:

    CaiGuy (09-22-2020),Edd Roush (09-22-2020),HammerTime (09-22-2020),M2 (09-22-2020),mth123 (09-22-2020),RedsManRick (09-23-2020),Revering4Blue (09-23-2020),RichRed (09-23-2020),westofyou (09-22-2020)

  20. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Reds Diaspora
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Agree with your view UK. We are now seeing the urgency we should have seen all along. I believe this last week to ten games is the first taste of success we've seen in two years. And we're going to declare Bell a successful manager?
    For the record, I am not calling him a success. I am just ironically pointing out the silliness of hot takes over things Bell has really no control over good or bad.

    I just think it's funny a Fire Bell thread doesn't get bumped over other night now, even though IMO he hasn't switched anything up or improved in any way.

  21. Likes:

    dubc47834 (09-24-2020)

  22. #13
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,416

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    For the record, I am not calling him a success. I am just ironically pointing out the silliness of hot takes over things Bell has really no control over good or bad.

    I just think it's funny a Fire Bell thread doesn't get bumped over other night now, even though IMO he hasn't switched anything up or improved in any way.
    I think he definitely has improved. He has calmed down significantly, imo.

    He is making far fewer moves within the game. Earlier, he was pulling starters like Winker, Votto and Cast early the game for pinch hitters or pinch runners. That has stopped. He also has played Shogo more regularly, which clearly has helped him.

    At the beginning, he was running out of players in the 8th inning with a 30 player roster. That isn’t happening now, not even close.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  23. Likes:

    HUHUH (09-23-2020)

  24. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    66

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    I think part of the rebound is also that guys like Ervin, Davidson, and VanMeter are no longer options at his disposal. He seemed to really go to those 3 in clutch spots and they didnt produce. Now, that's not all on him as far as who is on the roster. I still think he mismanages the bullpen at times, but we r winning and that's what matters.

  25. Likes:

    757690 (09-22-2020),The Operator (09-22-2020)

  26. #15
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,089

    Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    People looove to ascribe narrative to events mostly unfolding in a statistically random way. The players care now but they didn't care earlier in the season! Bell must have given a locker room speech!
    The game changing football coach persona myth resonate too strongly with the average baseball fan. It is however is a square peg, round hole situation 95% of the time.

  27. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (09-22-2020),BoxingRed (09-22-2020),Edd Roush (09-22-2020),M2 (09-22-2020),mth123 (09-22-2020),Revering4Blue (09-23-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator