Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think he definitely has improved. He has calmed down significantly, imo.

He is making far fewer moves within the game. Earlier, he was pulling starters like Winker, Votto and Cast early the game for pinch hitters or pinch runners. That has stopped. He also has played Shogo more regularly, which clearly has helped him.

At the beginning, he was running out of players in the 8th inning with a 30 player roster. That isn’t happening now, not even close.
    He did all of this last night, no?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    He did all of this last night, no?
    He pinch ran for Votto after the team took a commanding lead in the 8th. Before he was doing it in the 6th with a tie game.

In close games, he’s staying with the starters.

Edit: Looking back just a few games ago, Bell made zero changes in the Friday night win against the White Sox and just one in the Wednesday night game against the Pirates.
    Last edited by 757690; 09-22-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Okay, something that I evaluated last night that I found interesting. This is not a knock nor a compliment to Bell, but just something I questioned and then I think figured out.

In the bottom of 7th against lefty, he PHed Aquino and then Senzel to start the inning. My though was if you knew you were going to send two RH PH up there, why not Senzel first and the power hitter 2nd? Then I looked at box score this morning and realized that by doing it the way he did, he was looking ahead where if they did bat again, which they did, he would have a more normal lineup with the power hitter following Gino-Moose and then Senzel batting in the 7th position. So I was somewhat more relieved that their was a method to his madness.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Okay, something that I evaluated last night that I found interesting. This is not a knock nor a compliment to Bell, but just something I questioned and then I think figured out.

In the bottom of 7th against lefty, he PHed Aquino and then Senzel to start the inning. My though was if you knew you were going to send two RH PH up there, why not Senzel first and the power hitter 2nd? Then I looked at box score this morning and realized that by doing it the way he did, he was looking ahead where if they did bat again, which they did, he would have a more normal lineup with the power hitter following Gino-Moose and then Senzel batting in the 7th position. So I was somewhat more relieved that their was a method to his madness.
    Nah, it's because he was hitting Senzel for the CF spot. Aquino is not a CF, so he hit for the DH.

7. Likes:

mth123 (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Nah, it's because he was hitting Senzel for the CF spot. Aquino is not a CF, so he hit for the DH.
    Oh. I forget, if they would've done it in reverse, for both to stay in game, would Senzel have to be the DH?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Oh. I forget, if they would've done it in reverse, for both to stay in game, would Senzel have to be the DH?
    Yes or they would lose the DH.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-22-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

foster15 (09-22-2020)

He pinch ran for Votto after the team took a commanding lead in the 8th. Before he was doing it in the 6th with a tie game.

Edit: Looking back just a few games ago, Bell made zero changes in the Friday night win against the White Sox and just one in the Wednesday night game against the Pirates.
    FWIW wasn't it still 3-1 when he PR'd for Votto? Moose then homered to open it up to 6-1

12. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-22-2020)

A tale of two threads.

14. Likes:

M2 (09-22-2020),Revering4Blue (09-23-2020)

I still hate him.

What the Hell? Fire Bell!!! Is how I answer my phone now.

16. Likes:

mth123 (09-22-2020)

In any given season, but especially with a team that's had a lot of turnover, it takes about two months for things to sort themselves out. This is a two-month season, so it's all been the sorting out process. What seems pretty clear at this point is the Reds have a good team (how good is unknown). Doesn't guarantee they'll make the playoffs, but Bell has managed to get this team playing well.

Was the early sputtering frustrating as hell? Yes. Yet I'm glad I wasn't rending my garments over it. Has made the week where they've leaped into a playoff slot that much more enjoyable.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-23-2020)

Maybe he has settled down a bit now that they have sorted through and settled on some players and roles. But his style is still to mix and max and platoon.

I mean, he had already hit for two regulars, and there was no commanding lead when Votto came out (it was 3-1).

The above is samatics really, but I see the same Bell. The only difference is the offense started scoring some on pitchers they should be scoring on and the bullpen isn't giving up a run per inning.

Our Lord and savior would get roasted and toasted if he managed this team. I love what Bell has done this year. Bring Him back!!

Bell has one year left on his contract. He will begin next season on that final year and we'll see how that goes. The club CANNOT offer an extension this winter. Wait until the end of next season is over and evaluate him. He may bomb next summer for all we know and be canned before the All Star game.

Senzel 1 for 11 since returning. Curious how Bell handles it, given Goodwin doesn't look too bad in CF or at the plate.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Senzel 1 for 11 since returning. Curious how Bell handles it, given Goodwin doesn't look too bad in CF or at the plate.
    LH on mound tonight, Senzel in CF

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?