Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Point is - in just one FA season there or 4-5 examples of non-high payroll teams spending meaningfully on relief pitchers. It is not a phenomenon limited to the biggest payroll teams.

And as was said, if not Bradley, should have been somebody else. Glad you agree on that.
    My only quibble is painting with the broad brush of "relief pitching"

Over half of the teams in MLB (18) spend less than $2M per RP, including closers with an MLB average of $1.8M. Only 4 teams spend more than $3M per RP. Teams average over $5M per closer (which is about 1/3 of the average bullpen spend of $15.4M)

Of the top half of spending on relief, 13 of those teams (MIN and MIL come in at 16 and 20, respectively) fall in the top half of payroll

Remove closers from the equation:

Only 4 Teams spend more than $2M per non-closer. Half of teams spend less than $1M per non-closer

I maintain that teams just do not spend big on non-closers

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-20-2021),Griffey012 (04-20-2021),OGB (04-22-2021),Ron Madden (04-20-2021),Tom Servo (04-20-2021),westofyou (04-21-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hope the heck they do something and I hope its not any of those names. Maybe use one of them in a package to get a major leaguer.
    You're right. They'll likely have to wait until the break for a deal that matters to happen.

Forgot to add Vlad. Not sure when he'll be eligible, but he's a guy I am bullish on contributing meaningful innings this season.

Santillan could be interesting, we have no idea what he looks like at this point. The others...I'm not so hopeful.

Sure would've liked to see at least one more inning out of Hoffman today...and one more inning out of Antone last night, for that matter.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

David Bell is brutal to watch as a manager. Save the season right now and “can” his a$$. At some point, you gotta let your players play and dispense with all the stupid double switches and changes. He has no clue how to manage a roster or a pitching staff and he will fry all the arms he has by the end of May. Please, put a competent manager in the dugout...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RollyInRaleigh View Post
    David Bell is brutal to watch as a manager. Save the season right now and “can” his a$$. At some point, you gotta let your players play and dispense with all the stupid double switches and changes. He has no clue how to manage a roster or a pitching staff and he will fry all the arms he has by the end of May. Please, put a competent manager in the dugout...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's no better than Price managing the pen. Getting swept by Dbacks is pathetic at home and blowing leads. BUT...It's early and Reds played well by end of year last season so maybe it turns around for them IF they can make some changes to the pen. Antone and Sims and uh, well....

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Win or lose, he should be fired for going to Garrett with a lead against the Dodgers while Antone was available still tonight. Completely indefensible.

9. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-27-2021),REDREAD (04-28-2021),wally post (04-27-2021)

I hated the move, however, Bell did use Garrett a few days ago in a low leverage situation, and he looked good. This would be the next step, a high leverage situation early in the game, in getting him back on track.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I hated the move, however, Bell did use Garrett a few days ago in a low leverage situation, and he looked good. This would be the next step, a high leverage situation early in the game, in getting him back on track.
    So that's what "No Pain No Gain" means! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

REDREAD (04-28-2021)

David Bell likes to make boneheaded moves.

You know why he made that move with Garrett don't you?

He's got their back. Boost his confidence, give him the opp to get back on track is Bell's thinking. Not playing them (benching) due to struggling in a role he gave them doesn't look good on the manager. Yeah, but this guy is killing us! Bell can't say he believes in his players, and then bench them when they slump. He's a manager that's gives lots of rope it seems. Lets players try to work through things, find out what's wrong. Because if he can't, then what good is he? He needs Garrett.

I have no idea what's going on with Garrett. And I haven't heard too much from PC Johnson on it either. Other then he acknowledges struggles and preaches patience. But 8 games, 6 IPs, is not a big window.

But a 14.21 ERA and 2.68 WHIP, and opponent's slash line of .... .370 .500 .889 1.389 ain't good! In fact nothing in his pitching numbers is good!

IMO, with this team trying to get back in the winning ways after a nice little slump ... you need to limit handing him the ball right now in critical situations UNTIL he shows me he can pitch. Use him as an arm to bring in long relief with a comfortable lead.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

Chip R (04-30-2021),REDREAD (04-28-2021)

Seager was just waiting for that meatball slider. He knew that pitch was coming.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Seager was just waiting for that meatball slider. He knew that pitch was coming.
    He throws it over 60% of the time so it was a good guess

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You know why he made that move with Garrett don't you?

He's got their back. Boost his confidence, give him the opp to get back on track is Bell's thinking. Not playing them (benching) due to struggling in a role he gave them doesn't look good on the manager. Yeah, but this guy is killing us! Bell can't say he believes in his players, and then bench them when they slump. He's a manager that's gives lots of rope it seems. Lets players try to work through things, find out what's wrong. Because if he can't, then what good is he? He needs Garrett.

I have no idea what's going on with Garrett. And I haven't heard too much from PC Johnson on it either. Other then he acknowledges struggles and preaches patience. But 8 games, 6 IPs, is not a big window.

But a 14.21 ERA and 2.68 WHIP, and opponent's slash line of .... .370 .500 .889 1.389 ain't good! In fact nothing in his pitching numbers is good!

IMO, with this team trying to get back in the winning ways after a nice little slump ... you need to limit handing him the ball right now in critical situations UNTIL he shows me he can pitch. Use him as an arm to bring in long relief with a comfortable lead.
    What is wrong with also taking the approach of sitting down with Garrett and saying "Hey Amir, I think we both know you aren't your sharpest right now, we know you are going to get back on track and be the dominant pitcher we know you can be, it's not if but when. In the meantime, Lucas and Tejay are going to handle end of game duties because DJ and I want you get work in low leverage innings to get straightened out and then you will be back in high leverage when things are clicking again."?

If Amir can't handle that then he is too fragile to close anyway. On the plus side, the Reds don't have to lose games just so someone can get straightened out. FWIW, I am not suggesting Amir is too fragile by any means.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (04-28-2021)

If the Reds fire Bell, should they fire his staff too? Including DJ? Because I assume Johnson has some say on when to and when not to use Garret.

Bell went to Garrett last night because he’s always been better against lefties. But this year, Garrett can’t get lefties out at all, .417 BA and high OPS against him. The usual pattern for using him, high leverage, primarily v LHH, can’t apply until that corrects.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-27-2021 at 08:15 AM.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (04-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?