Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Bell’s no Savior, but when you are starting Vlad in an important game down the stretch it kinda writes itself.
    When you’re sending a guy to the plate in a tie game in the top of the 9th who has 0 career HRs in 360 PAs and a sub .200 BA it kinda writes itself, too.

It’s almost like my “David Bell is Awful” thread had a little bit of substance... 4-12 since w/ 7 straight series L’s. What’s the excuse now for Bell lovers? Is it the AA Pirate squad is just as talented as this Reds roster?

2. Likes:

malcontent (09-16-2021),MR X (09-16-2021),Phoenix2 (09-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVKing304 View Post
    What’s the excuse now for Bell lovers?
    can we not do this

They choke out of the playoffs and loose every series here on out, NO WAY I want Bell back. Thats like rewarding him for failure by even giving him one year.!!!

6. Likes:

malcontent (09-16-2021),OldFashionedRed (09-16-2021),Phoenix2 (09-16-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

The #Reds are 12 games above .500 and currently occupy a playoff spot.
    It was puzzling they didn’t pick up the club option in David Bell’s contract earlier and they should reward him with an extension now
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And there's roughly zero chance he's not getting an extension after the season. He's going to be getting some MOY votes, he's carrying an overall winning record with the club and hopefully he's taking them back to the playoffs. He's going to be around for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Yep, barring and end of season tank job that loses the clubhouse he will be back in 2022. If he makes they make the playoffs he's definitely earned and extension an the Reds would be dumb not to keep him around.

For all the hand-wringing about every last thing Bell does, I can only imagine how much worse it would be with Girardi or Baldelli (I seem to remember those being the other names thrown around most for the Reds opening).
    About to whip out my pitchfork and torch on everyone who posted on page 32 ITT

8. Likes:

M2 (09-15-2021),MR X (09-16-2021),Tom Servo (09-15-2021),WVKing304 (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVKing304 View Post
    When you’re sending a guy to the plate in a tie game in the top of the 9th who has 0 career HRs in 360 PAs and a sub .200 BA it kinda writes itself, too.
    I'll buy Naquin as a PH there, but you're taking a major defensive hit. And, as we saw, defense cost them the game, So that's more than a negligible concern. Bell's got to weigh how much risk he's willing to stick out in the field. Schrock turned out to be the "but he can hit" risk that got them. I'm not seeing the mystical managerial move that would have won them this game or that lost it for them.

The bigger issue during this run has been the team as a whole just isn't making the plays that win close games. It's a team that played loose almost the whole season and now it's all kinds of tight. Seems like what they need is a shrink.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'll buy Naquin as a PH there, but you're taking a major defensive hit. And, as we saw, defense cost them the game, So that's more than a negligible concern. Bell's got to weigh how much risk he's willing to stick out in the field. Schrock turned out to be the "but he can hit" risk that got them. I'm not seeing the mystical managerial move that would have won them this game or that lost it for them.

The bigger issue during this run has been the team as a whole just isn't making the plays that win close games. It's a team that played loose almost the whole season and now it's all kinds of tight. Seems like what they need is a shrink.
    Also Naquin was injured tonight anyway

11. Likes:

M2 (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    About to whip out my pitchfork and torch on everyone who posted on page 32 ITT
    And, for the record, this swoon should be making his extension far from a given.

13. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-15-2021)

And, for the record, this swoon should be making his extension far from a given.
    For sure, and jokes aside it’s not like those weren’t pretty reasonable and probably correct takes from a few weeks ago. It’s been a brutal 3 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Also Naquin was injured tonight anyway
    Oh, so clearly Bell should have used magic.

16. Likes:

westofyou (09-15-2021),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2021)

Oh definitely, but what most people don't want to admit is that change is not a benevolent force at the top slamming fists and screaming at folks over loss.

It's more actuary tables and financial guys

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-21-2021),M2 (09-16-2021),Revering4Blue (09-16-2021),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This one of many loses resulting from poor defense, poor fundamentals.

That’s on the manager.
    I think Bell has done a good job so far, but this is his and the team’s biggest weakness, imo.
    The bolded...

Except the poor defense was built into the construction of this team. I'm inclined to blame the owner for that. They didn't foot the bill for more complete players.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-21-2021),Chip R (09-16-2021),Coopdaddy67 (09-16-2021),mth123 (09-16-2021)

Except the poor defense was built into the construction of this team. I'm inclined to blame the owner for that. They didn't foot the bill for more complete players.
    That’s true, but poor defenders is not the same as poor fundamentals. We keep seeing basic mistakes that most little leaguers know not to do, and they are costing the Reds wins.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (09-16-2021)

Tight? I'd say playing without a sound approach to hitting is more like it. Maybe even selfish. Going up there and hacking away at the first pitch is not a recipe for success. Swinging at pitches above the chest, when pitches are at the knees -- tv crew mentioned the league had peeped out Castellanos hammering high fastballs -- is not a good approach. I attribute tight to teams with lots of talent. This team doesn't have lots of talented hitters.

Yep. Also, ownership allowed this team to go into the regular season without an actual SS on the roster.

Turn Off Ads?