Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This thread has me trying to remember when we were visited by the inane thoughts of the poster known as Bad Fundamentals. Was it early days? Dusty era?
    Yes, the inventer of the RBI/HR metric. Truly ahead of his time.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-16-2021),Revering4Blue (09-16-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021),Tom Servo (09-16-2021),westofyou (09-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Yes, the inventer of the RBI/HR metric. Truly ahead of his time.
    I believe you are referring to KRISP

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is what the disagreement is about.

I am referring to the latter... mistakes. The Reds have been making many more than a MLB should this season, and losing games because of them.

I agree that every players knows the fundamentals. It's not about teaching them, it's about emphasizing them, working on them so that they become second nature. That clearly is not the case with Bell and this team.
    Reds’ mistakes seem worse because of missing attributes on the roster and in the lineup.

Base running mistakes are magnified when you are slow. Pitching mistakes are more costly when the defender can’t get to the fly ball. You can’t compensate for bad at bats if you only hit RHP.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-16-2021 at 06:43 PM.

6. Likes:

Chip R (09-16-2021),M2 (09-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They managed teams that had strong fundamentals because players who weren't fundamentally sound didn't last. It wasn't because they taught them what to do, They weeded out the boneheads. None of those guys had guys on long term contracts that they were stuck with. Do you really think Sparky Anderson taught Joe Morgan or Dave Concepcion how to run the bases or slide properly or to not make an out at 3B or home. A guy like George Foster was a professional. He became what he was as a result of his own professionalism. Dusty's teams made a lot of TOOTBLANS btw. Not sure I agree how fundamentally sound those teams were.
    I really like Chris Welsh, but the worst thing he ever did was come up with the aconym, "TOOTBLAN". I absolutely hate that term, and I also hate how everyone throws it around anytime a baserunner is out. A lot of times a player takes an acceptable risk and is out anyway, because the defense makes a good play.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

Chip R (09-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I really like Chris Welsh, but the worst thing he ever did was come up with the aconym, "TOOTBLAN". I absolutely hate that term, and I also hate how everyone throws it around anytime a baserunner is out. A lot of times a player takes an acceptable risk and is out anyway, because the defense makes a good play.

Not his

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/idioms/tootblan

Coined by Cubs blogger Tony Jewell in 2008, the TOOTBLAN was invented to measure the impact poor baserunning has on a player’s on-base percentage and offensive value.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 09-16-2021 at 09:15 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

This thread has me trying to remember when we were visited by the inane thoughts of the poster known as Bad Fundamentals. Was it early days? Dusty era?
    I joined in 06. He was gone when I got here. I remember reading it as a lurker before joining. I think there are several posters here now that could be the same guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

M2 (09-16-2021),Revering4Blue (09-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I don't think he came up with it. I read it on other sites before I ever heard welsh say it. He probably read the same sites.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Remember when his sidekick DennyRed wanted SteelSD to meet him somewhere in Tenn or KY to fight?

15. Likes:

MR X (09-17-2021),Patrick Bateman (09-17-2021),westofyou (09-16-2021)

The ... in the thread title is code for NOT.

We gave Brian whatshisname 4 years of losing records, last places, and misery. Some want to boot Bell, after his third season, a team he has above .500 this year, and last, and in the WC race. Yeah, I'd like, and expect to see better moving forward. But I don't see anything that Bell's done that deserves firing him, not retaining him.

I find it amazing how fans put managers under the "microscope" during game-times, scutinizing every little detail and decision they make.... as if we all could do better if only in that dugout. We're the worst micro-managers, and need to apologize to Bob Boone (lol).

Yeah. Retain him. Unless you have a candidate at the ready, who is proven superior, and wants the job?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2021),cumberlandreds (09-17-2021),REDREAD (09-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Where is this "try" metric ranked in the stat column?
    Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2021),Revering4Blue (09-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Where is this "try" metric ranked in the stat column?
    In the Loss column. (Not to say that every loss is a lack of effort.)

If Larkin is named manager in 2022, a lot of folks are going to regret wanting Bell gone.

Larkin's thought process while in the tv booth is headache-inducing.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-21-2021),Chip R (09-20-2021),cumberlandreds (09-20-2021),Revering4Blue (09-20-2021),Ron Madden (09-20-2021),westofyou (09-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If Larkin is named manager in 2022, a lot of folks are going to regret wanting Bell gone.

Larkin's thought process while in the tv booth is headache-inducing.
    Larkin would be a horrible manager but I really think we are destined for it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

25. Likes:

757690 (09-20-2021),Big Klu (09-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?