Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Is the 3-batter rule in effect for the playoffs? That might affect Miley's making the roster or not?

And how big is the postseason roster? 26? 28?
    That's a real rule, not a covid rule

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-26-2020),M2 (09-26-2020),UKFlounder (09-26-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    All good points, but I think the main reason for the team’s success and Bell’s success is that the front office took away his toys. They got rid of VanMeter, Davidson, Ervin, Janikowski, and Payton and replaced them with Goodwin, Stephenson and Aquino. That enabled Bell to stick to simpler lineups and stay with his starters longer in games.

My guess is either Bell learned not to overmanage or the front office forced him to stop. Either way, that was the key to the Reds success, imo.
    That sounds like the front office's fault then, not Bell's. The front office stuck him with those toys to begin with.

5. Likes:

757690 (09-26-2020)

All good points, but I think the main reason for the team’s success and Bell’s success is that the front office took away his toys. They got rid of VanMeter, Davidson, Ervin, Janikowski, and Payton and replaced them with Goodwin, Stephenson and Aquino. That enabled Bell to stick to simpler lineups and stay with his starters longer in games.

My guess is either Bell learned not to overmanage or the front office forced him to stop. Either way, that was the key to the Reds success, imo.
    I would say the key to success was Bauer and Castillo going super saiyan as well as Lorenzen and Iglesias getting themselves back into form and the offense finally coming through in some big spots, but I guess we could pretend it’s because of the fiddling around the margins.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2020),CaiGuy (09-26-2020),Edd Roush (09-26-2020),M2 (09-26-2020),onehand (09-26-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-26-2020),Revering4Blue (09-26-2020),Rolando (09-26-2020),Ron Madden (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I think overall Bell managed a very good game. My issue was based on an assumption.
    I assumed if the Reds were still up 4-2, Iglesias would have come in 24 pitches deep to face the top of the lineup.
    I wouldn't have done that. Bradley in the 8th, Iglesias in the 9th.
    I'm glad it worked out.
    I'm very happy to see Iggy come into the game for just the 8th inning and pitch effectively. Twice in the last few days this has occurred. And both times a save was taken out of the picture because the Reds scored a few more runs and they brought in Miley to pitch the 9th. That means that Bell isn't catering to Iggy to pump up his save stats. And I'm guessing Iggy has no issues with it.

Also, it means he's bringing in his best bullpen guy in high leverage situations, because both times the tying or go ahead runs were at bat when he brought him in. Rather than just putting him in save situations. In the past it seemed the manager felt obligated to pitch him again in the 9th to allow him to earn a save. Now he's available again the next day if needed.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2020),757690 (09-26-2020),Edd Roush (09-26-2020),M2 (09-26-2020),mbgrayson (09-26-2020),Ron Madden (09-26-2020),Tom Servo (09-26-2020),WrongVerb (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would say the key to success was Bauer and Castillo going super saiyan as well as Lorenzen and Iglesias getting themselves back into form and the offense finally coming through in some big spots, but I guess we could pretend it’s because of the fiddling around the margins.
    And Shogo, Votto, Suarez, Moose and Barnhart started hitting.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-26-2020),Edd Roush (09-26-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-26-2020),Ron Madden (09-26-2020),Tom Servo (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Bauer and Castillo were going super all season, so no, that had nothing to do with it.

I agree the bullpen coming together played a big role too, but that also was mostly because Bell’s toys were taken away. No more chaff, and relievers had more defined roles.

Lorenzn doing well was a nice surprise, but he just filled in for Gray who was doing great until he got hurt, so that didn’t represent much of a change either.

The big change was getting rid of the chaff.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

joshua (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they started hitting once there was a more stable lineup and better defined roles. Especially for Shogo. Even Chris Welsh brought that up.

Bauer and Castillo were going super all season, so no, that had nothing to do with it.

I agree the bullpen coming together played a big role too, but that also was mostly because Bell’s toys were taken away. No more chaff, and relievers had more defined roles.

Lorenzn doing well was a nice surprise, but he just filled in for Gray who was doing great until he got hurt, so that didn’t represent much of a change either.

The big change was getting rid of the chaff.
    I don't disagree with your overall premise, but Castillo was pretty pedestrian until his last couple starts.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Was surprised to see Shogo's OBP up to .356. He needs to start vs. every righty. The big decision for Bell/the FO is who is the third OF with Castellanos and Shogo vs a righty starter if Winker DHs. Senzel, Aquino and Goodwin could all be that guy, but none have stood out to me.

During the win streak, Winker and Cast were slumping big time, and Garcia was a new addition that was doing little with the bat, so most of that evened out.

I think the big difference was that all there were no .300 OPS guys in the lineup on a regular basis, as was the case earlier. I think having big holes in the lineup hurt way more than having a big slugger helps.

One of the keys to success is not having any sucking in the lineup. Early on, there was plenty of sucking. Once that was eliminated, the lineup could be more productive all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    That sounds like the front office's fault then, not Bell's. The front office stuck him with those toys to begin with.
    That’s what I’ve been saying from the beginning. It’s a talent issue. That almost always is the case.

The roster got stronger over the season. With key players like Moose healthy, with bullpen and bench depth improved, Bell had less reason to make as many in-game changes.

He didn’t previously play with “toys.” He didn’t “learn” not to overmanage. Earlier he was looking for answers. He now has more of them, mostly due to a healthier, more productive, and deeper roster that functions as the team was planned.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-26-2020 at 05:17 PM.

John Fay
    @johnfayman
    David Bell said the first call he made after clinching was to his 35-year-old sister, Traci, who has Down's Syndrome. "She was fired up. We had a little celebration. It's a beautiful voice to hear, especially when she's happy. It was a fun call to make." #reds

21. Likes:

757690 (09-26-2020),Banshee (09-26-2020),Edd Roush (09-27-2020),Kc61 (09-26-2020),mth123 (09-26-2020),Phoenix2 (09-27-2020),redsfanmia (09-27-2020),Revering4Blue (09-26-2020),RichRed (09-26-2020)

This team should be way better than .500

23. Likes:

Phoenix2 (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    The front office gave Bell a new truck and he preferred to play with the box and packing materials.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

25. Likes:

joshua (09-28-2020),mth123 (09-29-2020),Phoenix2 (09-27-2020),Revering4Blue (09-27-2020),WVRedsFan (09-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?