Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 CF

Re: 2021 CF

Senzel will be the CF next year, he's cheap, still has the best upside of the younger players, he's not going to be traded for anyone that would step in and be a starter (IE Lindor) As for who's not in the OF next year I will put my money on Aquino being the odd player out in this bunch

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Senzel to the infield does make sense and Moose to 1b seems the best way to move Votto to DH for 2021 which seems imperative. But moving Senzel again after so much invested in CF may not be smart.
    Maybe it's time to find out next year if Winker or Castellanos can play better defense at 1b than Votto.
    Just let Winker and Cast be your corner OF and put Shogo in the middle and hope he can cover enough ground out there. At this point I think Bock should be a super-sub.

This team knew what it was signing up for when it decided to have a roster with Winker, Castellanos, and Votto. That's three DH candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Senzel will be the CF next year, he's cheap, still has the best upside of the younger players, he's not going to be traded for anyone that would step in and be a starter (IE Lindor) As for who's not in the OF next year I will put my money on Aquino being the odd player out in this bunch
    Except that doesn't solve the problem. Winker, Castellanos, Galvis, Moose and Votto with only one DH (if that, it isn't certain). Let's not let this watered down play-off push fool us. This team can't win in a normal year with 5 positions a disaster on defense. If Garcia could stick, he'd fix one, but I suspect they need a SS from outside. Votto is horrible. Moose is well below average. Galvis has no business at SS any more and Winker and Castellanos can't be in the same OF. Senzel could play 2B which would move Moose to 1B and Votto to DH and fix half the problem. The team has two other guys who can play CF. IMO, Castellanos is the guy who needs to go and his money needs to be re-invested in a solid, dependable SS who can hit. Winker could go, but the team will need money to fix SS and moving him doesn't free any up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except that doesn't solve the problem. Winker, Castellanos, Galvis, Moose and Votto with only one DH (if that, it isn't certain). Let's not let this watered down play-off push fool us. This team can't win in a normal year with 5 positions a disaster on defense. If Garcia could stick, he'd fix one, but I suspect they need a SS from outside. Votto is horrible. Moose is well below average. Galvis has no business at SS any more and Winker and Castellanos can't be in the same OF. Senzel could play 2B which would move Moose to 1B and Votto to DH and fix half the problem. The team has two other guys who can play CF. IMO, Castellanos is the guy who needs to go and his money needs to be re-invested in a solid, dependable SS who can hit. Winker could go, but the team will need money to fix SS and moving him doesn't free any up.
    Galvis will be gone, Moose will play 2nd and some first, Votto first and some DH, Winker DH and some LF, Shogo and Cast will be OF's.

That's my prediction.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Winker is possibly packaged with someone else and moved

7. Likes:

Mitri (09-22-2020)

Teams win all the time with garbage defense.

I think the team having the offense it's capable of having with the pitching it already has is enough for a World Series. Especially if we shore up shortstop.

Galvis will be gone, Moose will play 2nd and some first, Votto first and some DH, Winker DH and some LF, Shogo and Cast will be OF's.

That's my prediction.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Winker is possibly packaged with someone else and moved
    It's my prediction too. Along with a 4th place finish in the Central. They need a restructuring that adds all around, athletic players up the middle. They have three. Leaving them all play the same position seems nutty to me. Move the guy who was an IF all his life back to the IF where he's needed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That's my prediction.

I think moving Winker would be the smart move. Capitalize on his excellent year and open up that DH. I think they’d be selling low in Senzel (again) and he’s worth keeping around in CF.

Reds have too many DH types and Winker could net some pitching help, which they’ll need especially if Bauer departs.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Teams win all the time with garbage defense.

I think the team having the offense it's capable of having with the pitching it already has is enough for a World Series. Especially if we shore up shortstop.
    I definitely agree that offense is more important than defense, but this offense hasn't exactly lit it up. If they all would actually hit, maybe they could live with it. This IF defense isn't good enough to be considered "Garbage Defense" IMO. Votto is horrible at 1B. Moose is out of position and way below average at 2B. Suarez is hardly reliable at 3B and Galvis isn't a SS any more. People talk about the of (and it's valid) but those guys are Ricky Henderson, Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente compared to these infielders.

Moose is out of position and way below average at 2B.
    He has looked cromulent at 2B to the naked eye, and he rates out almost exactly average by Fangraphs (17th out of 31 with at least 200 innings at 2B) in dWAR.

I still think he should be playing 1B over Votto moving forward, but he doesn't deserve much guff for his play at 2B.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-22-2020),Edd Roush (09-22-2020),HammerTime (09-22-2020),Old school 1983 (09-22-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-22-2020),RiverRat13 (09-22-2020),WrongVerb (09-22-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’d rather DH Joey, put Winker or Castellanos at 1B and leave Moose at 2B. Could be a compromise to minimize Castellanos’ defense without him having to totally stop playing the field.

Also definitely no to trading Senzel for a 1 year rental, just find a stopgap if Garcia isn’t ready next season. The Reds don’t have the luxury of trading guys with Senzel’s potential away for such short term pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d rather DH Joey, put Winker or Castellanos at 1B and leave Moose at 2B. Could be a compromise to minimize Castellanos’ defense without him having to totally stop playing the field.
    Winker and Castellanos have played a combined 12,400 innings in professional baseball and neither has ever played first base. Are we solving a defense issue at first by sticking either one of them there untested?

Scott Hatteberg: I've only ever played catcher.

Billy Beane: It's not that hard, Scott. Tell him, Wash.

Ron Washington: It's incredibly hard.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-22-2020),RiverRat13 (09-22-2020)

Winker and Castellanos have played a combined 12,400 innings in professional baseball and neither has ever played first base. Are we solving a defense issue at first by sticking either one of them there untested?

Eh, it’s still first base, I think one of them could handle it. I’m not super worried about 1B defense, I just don’t want them both in the outfield at the same time and I think Votto hits better when he doesn’t play the field at this point.

Castellanos especially came up as a third baseman, he has quite a bit of infield experience, I don’t think that’s completely out of his realm.

I agree. A bad 1B does more damage than a bad OF IMO. Moose looks good at 1B and actually fixes that problem. Castellanos or Winker might actually be worse than Votto.

I agree. A bad 1B does more damage than a bad OF IMO. Moose looks good at 1B and actually fixes that problem. Castellanos or Winker might actually be worse than Votto.
    I just don’t think it would hurt much to try it, maybe as an offseason or spring training project at least.

I know that Moneyball quote is a funny anecdote and all, but the second half of that story is that Hatteberg went on to become a perfectly acceptable first baseman. It isn’t actually that hard.

Turn Off Ads?