Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 CF

2021 CF

Ok, so I have been trying to keep my mind off the game tonight this morning and saw a tweet about Goodwin being good but Senzel being missed. It just made me think about CF moving forward.

I know it’s been a SSS with the Reds but I really like what Goodwin brings to the team. Solid defense, solid bat, knows how to get on base.

Senzel, at this point: I don’t know what he is moving forward. He might be elite, he might be mediocre, he might be bad. I honestly have no idea.

How about this idea:

This offseason use Senzel as the main trade chip to get a SS and bullpen help. Or, if Bauer walks, use him to get a good and controllable SP. There are a lot of options and I think he still has enough potential and controllable years to get something good. Go into 2021 with Goodwin as every day CF.

Or stand pat.

Thoughts?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 CF

the guy cant hit he is batting .150 he shouldnt be in the majors except as a ninth inning defensive replacement he barely belongs in AAA as a hitter , what statistics are you looking at

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    the guy cant hit he is batting .150 he shouldnt be in the majors except as a ninth inning defensive replacement he barely belongs in AAA as a hitter , what statistics are you looking at
    Are you referring to Goodwin? He’s a .150 hitter in 51 plate appearances with the Reds.

As a major league over 1,120 plate appearances he has a .250 batting average and .773 OPS. He’s a major league hitter.

He hasn't looked good in CF to me (though just on TV of course) and get's bad marks there for his defense...I don't see him as a legit CF starting option.

Decent bat, but nothing spectacular...around average or just above.

I see him more as a really solid 4th/5th OF type. You need those if you are going to be good.

.150 is worse than davidson or payton he is a great big null set he is hitting .150 ,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I question if anybody would want Senzel, unless the Reds gave him away for very little. Other teams can see his lack of durability as much as the Reds and though I guess I can see someone taking a chance on his talent, I doubt they offer enough to make it a worthwhile move for the Reds. Just keep him, but try to find someone who can be at least competent when filling in for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ok, so I have been trying to keep my mind off the game tonight this morning and saw a tweet about Goodwin being good but Senzel being missed. It just made me think about CF moving forward.

I know it’s been a SSS with the Reds but I really like what Goodwin brings to the team. Solid defense, solid bat, knows how to get on base.

Senzel, at this point: I don’t know what he is moving forward. He might be elite, he might be mediocre, he might be bad. I honestly have no idea.

How about this idea:

This offseason use Senzel as the main trade chip to get a SS and bullpen help. Or, if Bauer walks, use him to get a good and controllable SP. There are a lot of options and I think he still has enough potential and controllable years to get something good. Go into 2021 with Goodwin as every day CF.

Or stand pat.

Thoughts?
    Jose Garcia is the SS of the future. We will get a 1 year stopgap if we add anything at SS. So I certainly would not trade Senzel for a SS.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-22-2020),JaxRed (09-23-2020),Red in Atl (09-23-2020)

I don't think you can sell this low on a guy like Senzel when he was a top 10 prospect in baseball 18 months ago. The Reds really need him to workout.

Also I think they view Garcia as the SS going forward so I don't think a major trade for a SS is happening.
    Last edited by HammerTime; 09-22-2020 at 11:02 AM.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-22-2020),dubc47834 (09-22-2020),forfreelin04 (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Jose Garcia is the SS of the future. We will get a 1 year stopgap if we add anything at SS. So I certainly would not trade Senzel for a SS.
    I would trade him for 1 year of Lindor and not think twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I don't think you can sell this low on a guy like Senzel when he was a top 10 prospect in baseball 18 months ago. The Reds really need him to workout.

Also I think they view Garcia as the SS going forward so I don't think a major trade for a SS is happening.
    I love Garcia.

With that said, I think he is two full years in the minors away.

CF is in good hands with Senzel backed by Goodwin and in an emergency Shogo.

Senzel apparently was affected by a world-wide epidemic. I don’t see how that’s evidence of being injury prone. And his trade value is depressed until he has a strong year, hopefully 2021.

Goodwin’s bat has disappointed but lifetime stats are good and he’s a natural CFer. Even if he’s lost a step he’s a very good 4thOF/backup CF guy.

Shogo can play reasonable CF still when there’s an emergency, although would prefer for him to mostly play LF.

Shortstop will be Garcia with some good infield backup help, whether the current guys or new guys.

14. Likes:

westofyou (09-22-2020)

Garcia needs some time in the minors. Give Farmer the SS job for a year or less until Garcia is ready.

Benefit of doubt to Senzel for 2021. Everyday CF until he proves he can't be there every day.

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (09-22-2020)

I'll throw this out there.

IMO, Senzel will have to prove he can play 50 straight games in the bigs before his value will ever increase. You could make the argument his value is the lowest it's ever been. I would shop Suarez during the off season. He has a team friendly contract, and he may be the surest thing on the team to hit 40+ homers per year for the next 5 years.

There are two in house options for third base: Moose and Senzel. If they leave Garcia on the ML squad, Galvis and Farmer are in house options at second. They could also sign a smaller FA deal with a hitter who puts the ball in play more or get someone in return for Suarez.

I like Senzel in CF, but the IF is in worse shape than the OF IMO. I say back to 2B. Shogo in CF, with Goodwin as 4th OF. Let Castellanos walk (or deal him for a prospect) and use his money on a SS (Didi is a FA again). Move Moose to 1B and make Votto the DH.

Moose, Senzel, Didi and Suarez around the IF. Much improved defensively at 3 spots.

Winker, Shogo, Aquino in the OF with Goodwin as a fourth.

Trade Barnhart and make Stephenson/Casali the catching tandem.

Offense from top to bottom and the only weak defender is in LF where it matters the least.

Keep Galvis at a reduced rate as a lefty hitting alternative to Senzel when he misses games and keep Farmer as a defender all around the diamond. Add Goodwin and whichever catcher isn't playing and that's a solid bench. Just need an accomplished RH hitter who can play whatever position.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (09-22-2020)

Senzel to the infield does make sense and Moose to 1b seems the best way to move Votto to DH for 2021 which seems imperative. But moving Senzel again after so much invested in CF may not be smart.
    Maybe it's time to find out next year if Winker or Castellanos can play better defense at 1b than Votto.

21. Likes:

HammerTime (09-22-2020),podgejeff_ (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Senzel to the infield does make sense and Moose to 1b seems the best way to move Votto to DH for 2021 which seems imperative. But moving Senzel again after so much invested in CF may not be smart.
    Maybe it's time to find out next year if Winker or Castellanos can play better defense at 1b than Votto.
    Moving Winker or Castellanos to 1B doesn't do anything to fix 2B or SS. It may improve 1B a little, but I doubt very much. This team needs to fix it's issues in the middle of the diamond. Today they have three CF, while the MI has a couple of utility guys who are below average hitters (one of whom isn't very good at SS), a kid who isn't ready and a corner IF. Make one of the CF a 2B, move the corner IF to where he belongs and exchange a high priced OF for a high priced SS and that's progress.

The time invested in CF isn't wasted. Senzel can move back there if need be. Other players do it. Why do we treat it like it's so awful here.? The Dodgers have a couple guys who regularly move between CF and MI. The transition back to 2B should be easy. He was an IF all his life. At least that was the argument against him moving to the OF in the first place. Now he's pretty good out there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?