Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2021 CF

Re: 2021 CF

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I just don’t think it would hurt much to try it, maybe as an offseason or spring training project at least.

I know that Moneyball quote is a funny anecdote and all, but the second half of that story is that Hatteberg went on to become a perfectly acceptable first baseman. It isn’t actually that hard.
    I'm all for having them work there to see if they are any good, but I think Castellanos needs to go. The Reds have an overload of these guys and they need a SS. They need money to get one. Let Winker play LF, put a real OF in RF and they have a bunch of guys to play CF. That would allow Senzel to move and Moose to move. Shogo can play CF.

I think people under-estimate 1B. It doesn't require a ton of mobility, but it is an important defensive spot. Other than the pitcher and catcher, it's involved in more outs than anyone and a guy who can't play ruins the whole IF. Votto never really got good at it. In the past he hit enough and the pitching was awful enough that his misplays over there were lost in the shuffle. This year, we're seeing the damage they can do. I think he needs to be moved off of there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm all for having them work there to see if they are any good, but I think Castellanos needs to go. The Reds have an overload of these guys and they need a SS. They need money to get one. Let Winker play LF, put a real OF in RF and they have a bunch of guys to play CF. That would allow Senzel to move and Moose to move. Shogo can play CF.

I think people under-estimate 1B. It doesn't require a ton of mobility, but it is an important defensive spot. Other than the pitcher and catcher, it's involved in more outs than anyone and a guy who can't play ruins the whole IF. Votto never really got good at it. In the past he hit enough and the pitching was awful enough that his misplays over there were lost in the shuffle. This year, we're seeing the damage they can do. I think he needs to be moved off of there.
    I mean sure, don’t throw a David Ortiz out there, a guy who can’t play the position without falling over on his face. But it’s not that hard for a major leaguer to make an adequate first baseman. There’s a reason why teams have always moved their bad or old defenders there. It’s not a super hard position to play.

Interesting question. Goodwin is an important piece - plays all three OF, does lots of things at a major league level. Winning teams have guys like him on the roster. Now, if he gets 500 ABs that is a different conversation. Senzel hasn't proven anything but hard to see moving him (although no play is untouchable). How they approach DH is an interesting proposition. Seems like they will use it to rotate guys through.

When to bring up Garcia. What to do with Cast. Those are the real questions.

I like Galvis as a backup MI - at a reduced price of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I definitely agree that offense is more important than defense, but this offense hasn't exactly lit it up. If they all would actually hit, maybe they could live with it. This IF defense isn't good enough to be considered "Garbage Defense" IMO. Votto is horrible at 1B. Moose is out of position and way below average at 2B. Suarez is hardly reliable at 3B and Galvis isn't a SS any more. People talk about the of (and it's valid) but those guys are Ricky Henderson, Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente compared to these infielders.
    Suarez is a decent 3rd baseman at the least. If he's hurting you there, than you got pitching problems, not 3rd baseman problems. Lord, the Reds won 40 percent of the franchise's world series with Rose there.
    Last edited by foster15; 09-22-2020 at 03:47 PM.

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-22-2020)

There are a lot of questions about next year but one thing I know for sure is I'd rather not see Galvis return. His versatility in the field is nice but I'd rather see someone with a different approach at the plate in that role.

If I'm gm, no way I'm trading Senzel unless I'm blown away by an offer including a potential #2 starter or difference making SS. Despite concern over missed time, the guy still has way too much potential to give up on. In fact, he should be starting nearly every day, even against RHP.

Goodwin is showing himself to be best used as a late inning defensive replacement or starter in one game on DH days. He's not consistent enough at the plate to be regularly starting.

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-22-2020)

Before Reds make any changes they need to understand fully this team batting average debacle.

It’s far from a perfect team in other respects, but this terrible BA can’t happen again next year. How have hitting approach, personnel, bad luck, opposition defenses all influenced the offense? They need the answers.

The player moves will follow once they understand the issue fully from a team perspective and player-by-player. Not sure it will involve CF, but whatever it takes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-23-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Turn Off Ads?