Thread: Reds add Gray, DFA Nate Jones

Re: Reds add Gray, DFA Nate Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    They would all qualify.
    Is that all of them?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The early collapse of Lorenzen as the setup man and injury/subsequent struggles of Stephenson had a lot to do with it.

Jones was really the only one who got any sustained usage, the rest were mostly relegated to mopup duty here and there. Jones started off alright before imploding at the end of August. Thankfully they got Bradley by the end of the month.
    I don’t buy this. I recall virtually every “bounce back” guy having meaningful outings. Hard to avoid with 42 outings in two months among them. (And Stephenson missed much of the season injured.)

And as these bounce back guys began to disappear the pen got better and better. It’s no accident.

Let’s face it, Reds spent $ in the off-season but not on the bullpen. Had they added more meaningful bullpen depth before the season the result probably would have been better.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-22-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Is that all of them?
    Is this 20 questions?

If you have other names, I’m sure you’ll ask.

Is this 20 questions?

If you have other names, I’m sure you’ll ask.
    JFC, you're delicate.

I'm asking because I'm curious as to who you consider untested. (Or at least considered untested before the season began.)

Would Amir Garrett be one? Michael Lorenzen? Stephenson?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    JFC, you're delicate.

I'm asking because I'm curious as to who you consider untested. (Or at least considered untested before the season began.)

Would Amir Garrett be one? Michael Lorenzen? Stephenson?
    No. Indeed Lorenzen is a six year veteran. No.

I don’t buy this. I recall virtually every “bounce back” guy having meaningful outings. Hard to avoid with 42 outings in two months among them.
    I mean a guy like De Leon got a "meaningful" appearance last week because the rest of the bullpen was spent, but otherwise he was pitching in lost causes. Yeah sometimes you'll need the bottom tier guys to pitch in close games, it happens.

I guess I'm not entirely sure what your complaint is. The wheat has separated itself from the chaff. Sims and Antone stepped up in a big way. Do you think they should have relied more on Joel Kuhnel and Cody Reed? I can't say I agree with that, they're not much different from your list of scrubs. Strop was probably the biggest disappointment, the would be 3rd or so guy in the pen who gave you just a couple blah innings before getting hurt and apparently looking unimpressive in rehab.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

I am disconsolate, chagrined and lugubrious Jones so much reminded me of Jose Pena, Jon Noreiga and Marcus Moore with a soupcon of Bob Lee Bob Locke and Bill Short,,dont you agree

Brooks Raley has quietly pitched pretty well for the Astros...

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

I mean a guy like De Leon got a "meaningful" appearance last week because the rest of the bullpen was spent, but otherwise he was pitching in lost causes. Yeah sometimes you'll need the bottom tier guys to pitch in close games, it happens.

I guess I'm not entirely sure what your complaint is. The wheat has separated itself from the chaff. Sims and Antone stepped up in a big way. Do you think they should have relied more on Joel Kuhnel and Cody Reed? I can't say I agree with that, they're not much different from your list of scrubs. Strop was probably the biggest disappointment, the would be 3rd or so guy in the pen who gave you just a couple blah innings before getting hurt and apparently looking unimpressive in rehab.
    If one just reads the list of off-season bullpen acquisitions it’s list of projects. Most of them hadn’t succeeded in some time. Strop was the best of them.

And when some main relievers ran into trouble early - like Lorenzen - there was nowhere to turn.

As some of the young guys, Sims, Antone, did well and they got Bradley, there was then depth and much better performance.

Tom, as you know, the Reds often start off poorly. I think they might have done better if they had more good pen choices early rather than this group of bounce back guys.

If one just reads the list of off-season bullpen acquisitions it’s list of projects. Most of them hadn’t succeeded in some time. Strop was the best of them.

And when some main relievers ran into trouble early - like Lorenzen - there was nowhere to turn.

As some of the young guys, Sims, Antone, did well and they got Bradley, there was then depth and much better performance.

Tom, as you know, the Reds often start off poorly. I think they might have done better if they had more good pen choices early rather than this group of bounce back guys.
    I think there's certainly a lot of merit in saying that a Bradley type or two would have been a good additions last offseason, obviously. But while there are some exceptions like a Tampa, most teams don't have these bullpens stacked 8 guys deep with proven talented arms.

And a number of the contenders have relied on bounce back guys and found success. Brad Boxberger with the Marlins, Jake McGee with the Dodgers, Trevor Rosenthal now with the Padres, etc.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

redsfandan (09-22-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

I am crestfallen and doleful that Nate Jones could not outperform Donovan Hand or Jon Moscot o r even the redoubtable Colin Balestar

I think there's certainly a lot of merit in saying that a Bradley type or two would have been a good additions last offseason, obviously. But while there are some exceptions like a Tampa, most teams don't have these bullpens stacked 8 guys deep with proven talented arms.

And a number of the contenders have relied on bounce back guys and found success. Brad Boxberger with the Marlins, Jake McGee with the Dodgers, Trevor Rosenthal now with the Padres, etc.
    Fair, but Box, McGee, and Rosenthal seem a cut above the Reds’ bounce back group. At least as I remember those guys.

FWIW, I believe Reds were looking for efficiencies based on the expertise and track record of their pitching coaches.

And I don’t really blame Reds for not spending even more last off-season. But they paid a price on the field with the July-August bullpen IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-22-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    I am crestfallen and doleful that Nate Jones could not outperform Donovan Hand or Jon Moscot o r even the redoubtable Colin Balestar
    I still think Moscot has a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Brooks Raley has quietly pitched pretty well for the Astros...
    Just checked the numbers, yes, Raley’s done pretty well with the Astros. Since he’s a lefty, maybe he’s the one Reds should have kept.

I still think Moscot has a shot.
    Apologies if this is dry sarcasm but he retired 18 months ago lol.

Turn Off Ads?