Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On this date Reds bid farewell to riverfront

Re: On this date Reds bid farewell to riverfront

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    My first game at Riverfront was Rose leveling Fosse.
    Mine was the Kid Glove game in 76, it being against the Tigers after living in Detroit conflicted me. My last Bengal game there was the Freezer Bowl.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (09-25-2020),SunDeck (09-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

My first game was at Crosley in June of 1970. Jim Zentmeyer, a Post/Timestar sports reporter arranged for his son and me to sit in the lower deck, maybe ten rows back, just between the visitor dugout and that plexiglass backstop. I can't remember when I first went to Riverfront, though. Probably the fondest memory was being in the red seats for 4192. Rose didn't get any hits the night before and as soon as the game was over I phoned my brother from work at Westwood LaRosa's and told him to go down to the ticket gate. To our surprise there were some tickets left and we were able to go. Lowest moment would have to be sitting there with my dad and brothers, watching Al Leiter mystify the Reds hitters in that cold, terrible one game playoff.

Also, I was at that '76 Detroit/Reds kid glove game too. Jack Billingham sat with us; he was a neighbor and his son played on our team. He came up in around the fifth inning and I remember wondering why he didn't have his uniform on.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 09-25-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020),westofyou (09-25-2020)

My first Reds game in person was the last game held at Riverfront. Somewhere I've got an unused ticket for that game from a friend of mine who didn't go, I should dig that out and get a little frame for it.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020),SunDeck (09-25-2020)

Lot of memories and they seem good. Saw Seaver no hitter vs Cards. Was at the Dodgers DH when Hal King PH a Grand Slam to RF to win that game as the Reds swept the two and mounted a fierce come back that year to beat the Dodgers. Went down one game on a lark when Cubs were playing Reds on a Sunday and Johnny Bench hit 8th inning HR to win it off Big Rick Rueshel 1-0. Was lucky to know Gene Bennett, scout for Reds and did some work with the FO. He gave us his tickets good many times which were close behind the 3rd base dug out. I've forgotten lot of games attended to be honest.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020)

First game was in April 1998, I still have the ticket somewhere, was also my 2nd or 3rd day first visiting Cincinnati, I was in shorts, it snowed.
    Go Gators!

11. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020)

aernisius

Riverfront Stadium was the ballpark I grew up on with the Reds. I specifically remember blazing hot weekend day games in the Red seats, where you had to put a shirt down before you could sit on the seats.

I attended the one game playoff in 1999 as a sophomore in high school, after begging my folks to let me and my buddy go on a school night. We sat way up in left field in the red seats, above the scoreboard where you couldn't even see whether balls hit close to the wall in left field were home runs or not. I don't think I've been as disappointed sports-wise as I was after that game. We would attend a lot of games down the stretch that year and would sit in the lower red seats on the right field foul pole. Great seats. I remember we decided to sit there after Eddie Taubensee hit a homer there.

After they knocked out the upper deck during the early construction of Great American Ballpark, they finally decided to color up the old stadium a bit, adding paint to those big flat concrete fascia that you'd walk around to get to the mezzanine from the upper red seats. Sure felt steep as a kid up there.

My folks took me to the clinching game of the 95 series with the dodgers, which was a laugher. Mark Lewis had a grand slam later in the game that seemed to put it away. Riverfront Stadium holds a special place for me in that it holds all of my easy-going childhood Reds memories .

13. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Lot of memories and they seem good. Saw Seaver no hitter vs Cards. Was at the Dodgers DH when Hal King PH a Grand Slam to RF to win that game as the Reds swept the two and mounted a fierce come back that year to beat the Dodgers. Went down one game on a lark when Cubs were playing Reds on a Sunday and Johnny Bench hit 8th inning HR to win it off Big Rick Rueshel 1-0. Was lucky to know Gene Bennett, scout for Reds and did some work with the FO. He gave us his tickets good many times which were close behind the 3rd base dug out. I've forgotten lot of games attended to be honest.
    Yours among the other here are great stories.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I lived hours away from Riverfront, so I only attended one game in that venue. I had just turned 10 in '77, and the game was awesome, as Tom Seaver pitched a complete game on the same day/night that we all had learned that Elvis Presley had passed away.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

16. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020)

hal king hit a three run homer not a granslam

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    hal king hit a three run homer not a granslam
    It was my favorite Reds' memory. The Reds were mired in 4th place having lost to the Dodgers the day before and falling 11 games behind on July 1. That ninth inning, 2 out pinch hit HR turned the season around. It was the kind of comeback, game and season, that has traditionally been reserved for baseball movies.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-26-2020)

Haunted by walks

My first major league game was at Riverfront in the 70s. I remember it vividly but inaccurately. I can’t find a box score that matches my memories.

Name:  12961266_533449696858512_1335665607337664882_o   50pct.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  220.3 KB

This is a photo containing the 17-year-old me. We marched pregame and halftime at the Bengals-Steelers game.

I am the trombone directly in the center. It was the first time my high school's band had ever marched at a major sporting event.

Representing my hometown and my high school and supporting my favorite team and filling the entire stadium with my trombone sound was the proudest moment in my life up to that point.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?