Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Sign Trevor now!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Sign Trevor now!

You just saw him pitch his last (and possibly best) game as Red. That was it. He's not re-signing with his dog-and-pony organization in his prime.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rachel Lupa, Bauer’s agent “clarifies” Bauer’s “only one year deal” comment. Says they are open to signing any length deal

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/age...030304382.html
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I love the idea of Bauer returning and hope the Reds do whatever it takes to bring him back. That said, Castellanos isn’t opting out after the year he had. The Reds need a SS and maybe more RP help too.

Bauer is incredibly talented and the hardest worker I’ve seen in a Reds uniform trying to impact the entire team to be better since 1999. Yep. Larkin and Junior included.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I'll add to the have's:
    He seems to be close with Sonny Gray.
    Probably has confidence he and Gray and Castillo can be the best 1-2-3 punch on any team in the NL next year - and is there a better 4-5 than Mahle/Antone/Miley?
    With Boddy he's probably free to "coach" other pitchers as well (worked with Green already)

They Reds don't have $$ for a multi year deal, but they might have plenty for an impressive 1 year offer with Galvis and Disco leaving and if Castellanos opts out.

Would a two year $65m deal with an opt out after year one cut it?

I think he’d be worth that.

Gotta have Bauer for 2021! The offense hasn't gotten on track in the short stint in 2020, but surely a full season would allow Moose, Cast, Suarez, Winker, Senzel, etc. to gravitate to their career norms which would be an impressive lineup to go with the best rotation in the NL. Reds need to place a big bet on that for 2021 with a 1 yr offer Bauer can't refuse
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nice words from Kyle and Tucker. Only issue is they're talking about Bauer in the past tense.

Kyle Boddy
    @drivelinebases

He made the #Reds better outside the lines. Came down to the minor league side multiple times to lecture and coach our spring instructional league kids with @Lorenzen55.

True passion for pitching and learning. Acted as another coach for many. A leader by example.
    Tucker Barnhart @Tucker_Barnhart

It’s really hard to come up with a list of things that have been more fun than catching @BauerOutage ... the guy made me better. Demanded more out of me and there’s nothing more complementary of a teammate than that. He got the best out of me.
    4:17pm · 22 Oct 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Nice words from Kyle and Tucker. Only issue is they're talking about Bauer in the past tense.
    Guy is certainly worth the money. He has helped change the culture. He has raised the bar for everyone else by example. I think given the way he takes care of himself, if there was ever a pitcher to bet the money on for multiple years, this is the guy to do it with. Problem is I’m sure every other team in the league (save for Cleveland and probably Arizona) will think the same thing.

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr
    Trevor Bauer on his season with the #Reds: “I had probably more fun this year playing baseball than I’ve had in, shoot, a long time. Probably since college, maybe even more fun than college. That’s really the lasting impression."
    Trevor Bauer on free agency:

I don't want to be in a situation where I'm unhappy.

I've spent many years of my big league career unhappy.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-23-2020 at 08:37 PM.

9. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-23-2020),Mitri (10-23-2020),RED VAN HOT (10-25-2020)

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr
    32m
    Trevor Bauer said #Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson was probably the best coach he’s ever had, and he had high praise for asst. pitching coach Caleb Cotham. "Caleb was really helpful with some of the technical stuff." Bauer said.
    "I haven't really had that situation before where I've had someone that I respect in the technological standpoint, the really nutty-gritty pitch shaping, understanding mechanics and how the ball was moving and stuff like that. It was good to have someone to bounce those ideas off of and have those conversations with.
    https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/37338...mpression=true

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-23-2020),RED VAN HOT (10-25-2020)

Trevor basically saying “I hated playing in Cleveland”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I know it is probably unlikely but it would be great to sign Bauer to a five year deal. I know the Reds probably won’t do this but pencilling him in every 4th or 5th day for the foreseeable future would fantastic. Whenever you are in a couple game losing streak as a team knowing you have that guy to end the skid. A rotation of Bauer, Castillo, Gray, Mahle, and Antoine for the next 3 years would be the best rotation the Reds have ever had.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phlbilly View Post
    I know it is probably unlikely but it would be great to sign Bauer to a five year deal. I know the Reds probably won’t do this but pencilling him in every 4th or 5th day for the foreseeable future would fantastic. Whenever you are in a couple game losing streak as a team knowing you have that guy to end the skid. A rotation of Bauer, Castillo, Gray, Mahle, and Antoine for the next 3 years would be the best rotation the Reds have ever had.
    Agreed, though Greene and Lodolo might have something to say about that rotation in the next few years.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

marcshoe (10-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by phlbilly View Post
    I suspect that the best chance of signing him would be a multi-year deal with player opt outs after each year and no-trade protection. That would provide security for Bauer with the ability to maintain his desire to play for a competitive team in an environment that he likes.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-30-2020),Ron Madden (10-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Agreed, though Greene and Lodolo might have something to say about that rotation in the next few years.
    As early as this season, IMO.

(Though if they're ready, room can always be made.)

Give him the Castellanos structured deal.

Figure out the money, pay him it which is going to be the biggest issue.

3 or 4 years, with an opt out after year 1 and 2. This is good for him and the Reds. In a year or two both Lodolo and Greene will be ready or close so if he leaves it wont be the end of the world.

Promise he will pitch every 4th day.

Basically he gets the money, gets to pitch every 4th day, and has two, one years deals he can get out of if he doesnt like the way things are going with the Reds. If the Reds suck he will leave and the Reds will save the money or move it to a more important roster spot.

I do believe he thinks the Reds can be a good team as currently built. Keep him, add a SS and maybe a relief pitcher or two and they will be fine.

We didnt see everything this team has yet.

20. Likes:

Kc61 (11-02-2020),savafan (10-30-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds have extended a 1-year, $18.9M qualifying offer to Trevor Bauer, which assures them draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere. He's expected to decline it and must make his decision by Nov. 11.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-01-2020)

Bauer won’t take the Reds’ QO. But it’s possible he could re-sign for one year at $25 million.

That assumes his agent thinks the market is weak this year and he’ll hit the jackpot next season in FA.

Not saying that is a typical player’s response. But Bauer isn’t the typical player.

Could also see the structured deal suggested in the Red X post above, that’s a good thought.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-02-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Turn Off Ads?