Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Trevor now!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Sign Trevor now!

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    I would offer him a 5 year 125m contract all 5 years player options.
    5 player options? I could see him signing the deal on Monday and opting out on Tuesday just for the tweet.

2. Likes:

kaldaniels (09-26-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

President of baseball operations Dick Williams was asked about signing Bauer.

“Bob (Castellini) and I and Nick Krall and the group will do everything we can do to make that happen,” Williams said. “I’d love to say yes, that there are scenarios where it could happen. It’s honestly not something we’re working on today right now. We’re really focused on the postseason, but I would love to think that Trevor would come back.”

Bauer says he’s not thinking about free agency at all. But money will not be the only factor.

“I’m going to listen to every offer that comes in,” he said “(I’ll) make a decision on where I want to play based on factors that are important to me. I want to win. I want to be happy. I want to enjoy playing baseball.
    https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/35512...mpression=true
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-26-2020 at 09:07 PM.

5. Likes:

GAC (09-27-2020),Tom Servo (09-26-2020)

Bauer has enjoyed playing for Cincinnati, which acquired him from Cleveland in a three-way trade on July 31, 2019.

“There’s parts of it that I haven’t enjoyed, mostly centered around how many games we lost. I hate losing,” Bauer said. “But it’s been a very rewarding experience as well. I don’t see this team as a losing team. We lost some games early that we probably shouldn’t have lost, but we’re in a position now to go to the postseason, and it takes a lot of energy to change a culture and to get over the hump initially.

“Once you do, you set yourself up for a window of success. Looking out into the future, if you’re talking about the I-want-to-win qualification, I feel like this is a team that I can win with, for sure.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/trevor...ture-with-reds

7. Likes:

bagz (09-29-2020),GAC (09-27-2020)

Those are promising words to hear because I have yet to see him say them anywhere. I think it will be the biggest aspect in him resigning. I think the Reds have everything else he wants...other than possibly wanting a bigger market to help further his personal following. Gotta pony up the money now.

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Those are promising words to hear because I have yet to see him say them anywhere. I think it will be the biggest aspect in him resigning. I think the Reds have everything else he wants...other than possibly wanting a bigger market to help further his personal following. Gotta pony up the money now.
    meh, both sides are saying exactly what you'd expect them to be saying. Rarely if ever do you see a front office saying "We love that he's a Cy Young candidate but we aren't going to try to sign him again because there's no use". And rarely will you ever see from a Cy Young candidate going into the post season say "I'm looking to playing somewhere else next year because I don't like this team". I'm pretty sure the Reds paid the same lip service to Cueto even though anyone who knows the Reds knew he was going to be gone before the season ended.

Not saying I know Bauer is leaving, I don't and think there are things that could be done to keep him, just saying that the lip service being paid by both sides in the article means nothing.

I kind of admire the guy, not just for his ability, but because, from a financial, contract POV, he's doing what he wants to do, what makes him happy .... not getting tied down to one franchise under a multi-year contract, but preferring 1-year deals. He's still getting BIG MONEY, but just not locked down under a multi-year deal where the franchise has the control/upper hand. Or you're under that contract and not seeing the investment to winning from the franchise. So for the life of that contract you're one helluva ballplayer "lost" on a average/mediocre team.

Bauer knows he's going to get his money. IMO, his biggest concern, other then a winning environment, is also the overall positive environment in that clubhouse, a bonding, building something, a place you also enjoy playing. Money can't buy everything (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

bagz (09-29-2020),Chip R (09-29-2020),jup (09-27-2020),Ron Madden (09-27-2020)

He’s also betting on himself and his health. A one-year contract followed by a shoulder injury could cost him money, but he’s gambling that won’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I kind of admire the guy, not just for his ability, but because, from a financial, contract POV, he's doing what he wants to do, what makes him happy .... not getting tied down to one franchise under a multi-year contract, but preferring 1-year deals. He's still getting BIG MONEY, but just not locked down under a multi-year deal where the franchise has the control/upper hand. Or you're under that contract and not seeing the investment to winning from the franchise. So for the life of that contract you're one helluva ballplayer "lost" on a average/mediocre team.

Bauer knows he's going to get his money. IMO, his biggest concern, other then a winning environment, is also the overall positive environment in that clubhouse, a bonding, building something, a place you also enjoy playing. Money can't buy everything (lol).

13. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2020)

He's doing the same thing the NBA's biggest superstars are doing: They're holding owners feet to the proverbial fire.

I want to win. I will play where I can win. I will only sign a one- or two-year contract so that I can move on if you decide that money matters more than winning.

It's a brilliant if risky play that many without financial comfort or a supreme sense of self-confidence would not be able to do.

I'm guessing, for example, Mike Trout is wishing he hadn't signed that massive contract with LA. (He hinted as much last night after the Angels were eliminated-- again.)

It is also almost sure to cost Bauer millions in long-term security. But he seems fine with that particular calculus. (Right now.)

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2020),GAC (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    He’s also betting on himself and his health. A one-year contract followed by a shoulder injury could cost him money, but he’s gambling that won’t happen.
    It is a roll of the dice for sure, but at least he is willing to challenge himself each and every year. No complacency when every year is a contract year.

Much rather pay a premium to Bauer then a player you get mediocre results from on a long term deal because they have gotten "comfortable" like you see from too many of these long term contracts.

17. Likes:

UKFlounder (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If his baseball career ended tommorrow ... how much do you think he's worth? He won't be hurtin' by any means. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

19. Likes:

UKFlounder (09-27-2020)

I think this quote is pretty encouraging.
    Trevor Bauer doesn't say things he doesn't mean.
    Bauer has enjoyed playing for Cincinnati, which acquired him from Cleveland in a three-way trade on July 31, 2019.

“There’s parts of it that I haven’t enjoyed, mostly centered around how many games we lost. I hate losing,” Bauer said. “But it’s been a very rewarding experience as well. I don’t see this team as a losing team. We lost some games early that we probably shouldn’t have lost, but we’re in a position now to go to the postseason, and it takes a lot of energy to change a culture and to get over the hump initially.

“Once you do, you set yourself up for a window of success. Looking out into the future, if you’re talking about the I-want-to-win qualification, I feel like this is a team that I can win with, for sure.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/trevor...ture-with-reds

21. Likes:

mth123 (09-29-2020)

It's great he did so well this year and hopefully brings the Reds its first ever Cy Young award. Looking forward to a great postseason from him as well to help him on his way to a huge free agent contract. I'll be a fan of his when he moves on so long as he doesn't sign with the Dodgers, Cardinals or Yankees.

No, byt missing out on an extra $20 million+ from another season might sting a bit.

If his baseball career ended tommorrow ... how much do you think he's worth? He won't be hurtin' by any means. LOL

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’ve ended up liking Bauer a lot more as a dude than I thought I would, I feel like he’s grown up a little bit since becoming a Red. I haven’t heard anything too ridiculous off the field since he’s been here either that I can remember either.

25. Likes:

mth123 (09-29-2020)

Trevor just became the first Red with the best ERA in the league since 1944 (Ed Heusser)

27. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-27-2020),Ron Madden (09-27-2020),UKFlounder (09-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?