Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promise Bauer every 4th day next year

Promise Bauer every 4th day next year

Our staff sure looks a lot better heading into next year if Bauer is on it. We'll never be able to compete on dollars with the big boys. Now, I have no idea if Bauer really will go for one year deals as he has previously said, or if a long term deal with yearly opt-outs is the new "series of one year deals". If that is what he wants, we're probably dead.

But the one thing he really wants is to prove he can be start on 3 days rest. That's the one thing we can give him, and it costs no money. In fact if he's right, it helps the Reds a lot.

Write it into his contract that as long as his ERA is below 3.25 (or some figure) he can start every 4th day.

That might convince him to sign.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-26-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Promise Bauer every 4th day next year

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Our staff sure looks a lot better heading into next year if Bauer is on it. We'll never be able to compete on dollars with the big boys. Now, I have no idea if Bauer really will go for one year deals as he has previously said, or if a long term deal with yearly opt-outs is the new "series of one year deals". If that is what he wants, we're probably dead.

But the one thing he really wants is to prove he can be start on 3 days rest. That's the one thing we can give him, and it costs no money. In fact if he's right, it helps the Reds a lot.

Write it into his contract that as long as his ERA is below 3.25 (or some figure) he can start every 4th day.

Yes sir. The American dream, take less money to work more hours.

5. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020),westofyou (09-27-2020)

I mean if he pitches 240
    Innings his era definitely does not need to be elite to have a ton of value. Anything under next 3.75 and he would put up a plethora of value in this day where most guys are making out at 175

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

I like it. But instead of guessing about an ERA level let's just say as long as he's in the top 3 for ERA for Reds' starting pitchers he can stay on 3 days rest with exceptions being when a day off interrupts the 3 days rest. The reds have 6 other starting options so they should be able to make this work. To help Castillo, Mahle, Gray and Miley stay on 4 days rest, Antone and Lorenzen can spot start when needed to give the 4th day of rest.

I’d love them to keep Bauer and perhaps there is a way to make this work.

But this would present a disruption for the other starters. If Gray’s turn is Wednesday, and Bauer’s “every fourth day” is Wednesday, Sonny sits an extra day and others are impacted accordingly. Multiply that across the rotation, most times through.

Perhaps Reds can come up with a solution, but three days rest works best if it’s a four man rotation so everyone can work regularly.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-26-2020 at 07:56 PM.

9. Likes:

Chip R (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Perhaps Reds can come up with a solution, but three days rest works best if it’s a four man rotation so everyone can work regularly.
    All excellent points. People in baseball have said from time to time that a 4 man rotation could work. Perhaps Bauer, Johnson and Boddy could come up with a plan to implement this with the other pitchers. But I would think that it only works with Bauer on board and that would have to happen sooner rather than later. Over the past few years, free agent signings have came closer to Spring Training. In a Covid world without any revenue from attendance I could see teams waiting longer to sign free agents. If the Reds truly believe re-signing him is in their best interests and if that includes going with a 4 man rotation, they have to do it ASAP so Gray and Castillo and the other potential starter(s) can train for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I mean if he pitches 240
    Innings his era definitely does not need to be elite to have a ton of value. Anything under next 3.75 and he would put up a plethora of value in this day where most guys are making out at 175
    If he pitches every fourth day, he has an outside chance at 300 innings. No one's done that for 40 years. (And I suspect Bauer knows that.)

In the modern game, the ability to throw that many innings would be uniquely valuable to any team.

On innings alone, he'd be somewhere between Steve Carlton (!) and mid-career Wilbur Wood. If he hit just career peripherals, he'd be 1971 Mickey Lolich (8+ fWAR). If he "only" hit 240 innings, he'd be as valuable as three-year peak Robin Roberts. None of those seasons was less than 7 fWAR, fwiw.

It'd be a hell of a risk, but man, would it be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If he pitches every fourth day, he has an outside chance at 300 innings. No one's done that for 40 years. (And I suspect Bauer knows that.)

In the modern game, the ability to throw that many innings would be uniquely valuable to any team.

On innings alone, he'd be somewhere between Steve Carlton (!) and mid-career Wilbur Wood. If he hit just career peripherals, he'd be 1971 Mickey Lolich (8+ fWAR). If he "only" hit 240 innings, he'd be as valuable as three-year peak Robin Roberts. None of those seasons was less than 7 fWAR, fwiw.

He'd struggle to hit 250 is my guess. The game is changed, lineups and approach. There are no Eddie Brinkman's to pad the count

13. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Those 2 bolded statements can't be emphazied enough

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He'd struggle to hit 250 is my guess. The game is changed, lineups and approach. There are no Eddie Brinkman's to pad the count
    He would get around 40 starts. So your 250 IP would be around 6 innings per start. I could see that pretty easily. The other starters would get around 32,32,30,30 starts respectively.

On the optimistic side, I could also see 41 starts going about 6-2/3rds, which would be around 275 innings. About 350 punch outs with maybe 25 to 30 wins and an fWAR up around 9.

Probably the general pattern to try and accomplish this would be -

Get Bauer as many starts as possible every fourth day.

Get Gray and Castillo as many as possible every fifth day.

The BOR guys would have to pitch on a less than regular schedule. Probably would need three of them, say Mahle, Lorenzen, Miley. Could pitch some relief in lighter periods with off days.

Imperfect, and would require flexibility and some sacrifice from the guys used to regular turns. But worth a try if they could re-sign Bauer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2020 at 01:49 PM.

17. Likes:

jwdoc77 (09-28-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-27-2020)

This does not involve a 4 man rotation. That doesn't work. This is a special deal for Bauer only. And it simply is no big deal on the other pitchers. Periodically they get an extra day rest. And maybe sometimes the #5 gets skipped.

I don't see it as high risk either as long as you have it stipulated that if Bauer's ERA goes a set limit that it stops. Going over that limit means it's affecting him.

But like he says he monitors all kinds of parameters, he'll know if it's negatively affecting him.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

19. Likes:

jup (09-27-2020)

If Bauer is pitching more innings he's taking away innings from other guys.

On that front, it's ok, but I don't want him decreasing the IP of Luis or Sonny.

That's one stipulation.

Bauer will come back if they agree on a price. One thing the Reds have going for them is he really seems to like playing for the team. That has value. I don't think gimmicks are going to move the needle. If they really want to keep Bauer, go deep in the playoffs and convince him there's rings to be won if he stays.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

kaldaniels (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If Bauer is pitching more innings he's taking away innings from other guys.

On that front, it's ok, but I don't want him decreasing the IP of Luis or Sonny.

That's one stipulation.
    Bauer’s three days rest will at times conflict with Castillo or Gray’s normal turn. This is unavoidable.

Reds would have to prioritize getting IP for their three main starters, they can do that, but it won’t be perfect.

The BOR pitchers would face more disruption and Reds could not prioritize keeping them on turn. Probably mix and match among a few different BOR guys.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?