Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promise Bauer every 4th day next year

Re: Promise Bauer every 4th day next year

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    He would get around 40 starts. So your 250 IP would be around 6 innings per start. I could see that pretty easily. The other starters would get around 32,32,30,30 starts respectively.

On the optimistic side, I could also see 41 starts going about 6-2/3rds, which would be around 275 innings. About 350 punch outs with maybe 25 to 30 wins and an fWAR up around 9.
    Last year he averaged about 4 batters per inning, at 275 that would be 1100 batters faced. In the last ten seasons only two pitchers have faced over 1000 batters in a season, King Felix in 2010 and David Price in 2014, the highest this century was Roy Halladay in 2003 with 1071 (266 IP)

Organizations don't put that sort of stress on assets anymore, that's why they go 13 deep in the BP. You get better Bauer by not taxing him against also rans in an attempt to reclaim pitching numbers from 50 years ago. If the need arises when he needs to start on short rest leverage that need, no need to make it some sort of traveling road show.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Last year Bauer had 213 innings. He didn’t pitch well for the Reds at the end.

I don’t know if the innings load was his issue last year.

But I wouldn’t assume you can pile on the innings and not see diminished performance at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This does not involve a 4 man rotation. That doesn't work. This is a special deal for Bauer only. And it simply is no big deal on the other pitchers. Periodically they get an extra day rest. And maybe sometimes the #5 gets skipped.

I don't see it as high risk either as long as you have it stipulated that if Bauer's ERA goes a set limit that it stops. Going over that limit means it's affecting him.

But like he says he monitors all kinds of parameters, he'll know if it's negatively affecting him.
    Name:  Screenshot (237).png
Views: 163
Size:  55.9 KB

SORRY - I wrote 4 MAN when I should have written 5 MAN with Bauer on 4 but I am sure you get the idea

Of course days off and rain outs will effect this, but that is where your 4 or 5 guy just gets skipped that time through. So you preserve as many starts as possible for your 2 & 3.

Looks like it runs on a 17 week cycle mathematically. Your 2 starter losses their 1st start in cycle 13, so my guess is (without playing the whole thing out), the 2 & 3 starters will lose 2 starts over the entire season, given there is about 32.4 cycles of a 5 man rotation in a 162 game season. And with days off, you can easily pick one or two of those up by skipping the 4 or 5 guy.
    Last edited by jup; 09-27-2020 at 02:40 PM.

5. Likes:

JaxRed (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bauer will come back if they agree on a price. One thing the Reds have going for them is he really seems to like playing for the team. That has value. I don't think gimmicks are going to move the needle. If they really want to keep Bauer, go deep in the playoffs and convince him there's rings to be won if he stays.
    Also, it’s a lot more satisfying winning with the team you worked with to get there, then simply joining the best team and avoiding adversity. He’s not an emotionless robot that doesn’t ignore the journey of getting there.

I think we have the tie breaker on that as he’s had a chance to come here, and be a big part of implementing his desired culture on the team, rather than joining a team like the Dodgers with an established culture.

Definitely a playoff win and really competitive baseball to round out the season, plus a bag of cash, plus agreeing to work with him on 4th day pitching feels like a real good case to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Turn Off Ads?