Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Here is a link to what the Braves most likely are going to do: https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-b...PXHLVNUIURF7Q/

Game One - Trevor Bauer (1.73) - Max Fried (2.25) Matchup of Cy Young contenders, although Fried is more of a pretender. Neither is likely to be a day at the beach.

Game Two - Luis Castillo (3.21) - Ian Anderson (1.95) It will be a Tull order taking the first two games. Anderson has only made 6 major league starts. Maybe the pressure gets to him. Neither pitcher has playoff experience.

Game Three (if necessary) - Sonny Gray (3.70) - Kyle Wright (5.21) A pair of Commodores will be taking the ball if this game is needed. It's Always Sonny in the Second Round of the Playoffs. Wright has been improving as the year goes along.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2020),Bob Sheed (09-27-2020),Chip R (09-28-2020),M2 (09-27-2020),OGB (09-28-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-30-2020),Revering4Blue (09-28-2020),StRedlegs900 (09-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

I’d be curious what the Vegas odds on the series are.

I have to say advantage Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Here is a link to what the Braves most likely are going to do: https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-b...PXHLVNUIURF7Q/

Game One - Trevor Bauer (1.73) - Max Fried (2.25) Matchup of Cy Young contenders, although Fried is more of a pretender. Neither is likely to be a day at the beach.

Game Two - Luis Castillo (3.21) - Ian Anderson (1.95) It will be a Tull order taking the first two games. Anderson has only made 6 major league starts. Maybe the pressure gets to him. Neither pitcher has playoff experience.

Game Three (if necessary) - Sonny Gray (3.70) - Kyle Wright (5.21) A pair of Commodores will be taking the ball if this game is needed. It's Always Sonny in the Second Round of the Playoffs. Wright has been improving as the year goes along.

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2020),GAC (09-28-2020),M2 (09-27-2020),membengal (09-28-2020),Old school 1983 (09-28-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-30-2020),Revering4Blue (09-28-2020),RiverRat13 (09-27-2020),StRedlegs900 (09-28-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-27-2020)

Kyle Wright is a mouthwatering opposing SP in a deciding game if the series gets that far.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2020),Tom Servo (09-27-2020)

Fried has only thrown a total of 11 innings in 3 starts in September. Had back spasms earlier in the month. Then only pitched 1 inning last time out because he turned his ankle on a bunt play. Braves say he'll be ready Wednesday.

This will be over in 2, the Cobb County baseball club has no chance.
    Go Gators!

A closer look at Bauer vs. Fried.
    Code:
    	IP	K/9	BB/9	HR/9	BABIP	ERA	FIP	xFIP	SIERA
    Fried	50	 8.0	3.0	0.32	.268	2.25	3.10	4.05	4.32
    Bauer	73	12.3	2.1	1.11	.215	1.73	2.87	3.25	2.93
    Fried has the peripherals of a solid mid-rotation starter who has a strong BABIP and including an unsustainably low home run rate. That said, a notably lower exit velocity than in years past suggests he's doing something to produce much weaker contact this year than in years past. A bad outing looks like a bunch of hits that start piling up.

Bauer has the peripherals of a true ace along with an unsustainably low BABIP (and attendant LOB%). However, he's inducing flyballs at a career high rate (easily the highest in MLB this year) without being overly HR prone, which supports a BABIP much lower than average. A bad outing looks like 3 HRs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-28-2020),757690 (09-27-2020),Edd Roush (09-27-2020)

If only it was just about the pitching and not hitting.

Braves bullpen has been solid most of the year. Starting pitchings is as much of a crapshoot as the Reds bullpen.

The offense scores late with regularity.

Would love to exorcise some demons from 1995.

15. Likes:

GAC (09-28-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Braves bullpen has been solid most of the year. Starting pitchings is as much of a crapshoot as the Reds bullpen.

Our bullpen has been spectacular for some time.

Iggy, Sims, Garrett, Antoine and Lorenzen have been lights out for more than a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Iggy, Sims, Garrett, Antoine and Lorenzen have been lights out for more than a month.

and Bradley.....it is crazy that our bullpen may even be one of our positives going into the playoffs compared to where they were 2 months ago. If our bullpen was pitching early in the year like they are now, we win the Central....maybe with comfort.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

REDS have not won a playoff series since I went to Cincy in '95 to see it in person. I haven't been back since.

An awful lot of Life has happened in 25 years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

20. Likes:

Benihana (09-28-2020),goreds2 (09-27-2020),M2 (09-27-2020),Revering4Blue (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Don’t forget Miley who could be used to get Freeman out in a tough inning

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Don’t forget Miley who could be used to get Freeman out in a tough inning
    3 batter minimum and Ozuna after Freeman probably eliminates that. Maybe in extra innings if the rest of the pen is used up.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

That 1995 NLCS didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth like some other post seasons. Probably because I knew we weren't even close to the Braves in talent, especially pitching. I knew going in we were going to get our butts kicked, but hoped for a miracle. Pretty much the same for the Phillies in 2010.

Orioles in 1970(because we should've won the first 2 games), A's in 1972(that though was exorcised in 1990), Mets in 1973 and the Giants in 2012 are the one that still bother me.

The Braves actually saved us the embarrassment of losing a battle of Ohio world series and I take comfort in that.

Turn Off Ads?