Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Re: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Braves BABIP - .322 (1st in MLB)

Reds BABIP - .245 (Last in MLB)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    REDS have not won a playoff series since I went to Cincy in '95 to see it in person. I haven't been back since.

An awful lot of Life has happened in 25 years.
    I was there in 95 too. Last great playoff moment - Hamilton's own Mark Lewis hits the 1st pinch hit grand slam in MLB History.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    REDS have not won a playoff series since I went to Cincy in '95 to see it in person. I haven't been back since.

An awful lot of Life has happened in 25 years.
    Redssince75 sez that he started liking the Reds with the 1975 World Series win, then they did it again 15 years later in 1990, and if the Reds are following baseball half-lives as it seems, then they're due again this year, 30 years later. Unfortunately, if they do win this year, won't win again for 60 years, 2080.

(Yes I am aware of the 1976 win also....but I needed the above timeline for the mathematical symmetry analysis).

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    I was there in 95 too. Last great playoff moment - Hamilton's own Mark Lewis hits the 1st pinch hit grand slam in MLB History.
    I was there and remember Reggie striking out 10 times in the series, including 5 in a row. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Redssince75 sez that he started liking the Reds with the 1975 World Series win, then they did it again 15 years later in 1990, and if the Reds are following baseball half-lives as it seems, then they're due again this year, 30 years later. Unfortunately, if they do win this year, won't win again for 60 years, 2080.

(Yes I am aware of the 1976 win also....but I needed the above timeline for the mathematical symmetry analysis).
    I tend to look at the final digit of the year. 3 of the Reds' 9 WS appearances ended in 0(1940,1970, 1990) which also fits a 30-20-?30 pattern over 80 years. Next is the #9(1919, 1939). The other 4 are (1,2,5, 6). Post season appearances you can add one more 0(2010) one or two more 9s(1979 and non-officially 1999), one more 2(2012) and two 3s(1973 and 2013) and one more 5(1995).

Okay, so my point? Reds are more likely to get to WS this year than any of the following 9 so let's do it.

Also, it could be a 20-30-20-30 thing and the Reds were destined to get to the 1920 World Series but their spirit was crushed when nobody respected their 1919 championship.
    Last edited by foster15; 09-28-2020 at 09:58 AM.

pete schourek had a great year in 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Schourek-Maddux
    Smiley-Glavine
    Wells-Smoltz
    Portugal-Avery

Yeah, as difficult as it is to believe looking at the above, I knew the Reds were going to get crushed. BTW, just noticed, Pedro Borbon Jr. pitched in 41 games for the Braves that season. And since his father put a curse on us, we had zero chance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Schourek-Maddux
    Smiley-Glavine
    Wells-Smoltz
    Portugal-Avery

Yeah, as difficult as it is to believe looking at the above, I knew the Reds were going to get crushed. BTW, just noticed, Pedro Borbon Jr. pitched in 41 games for the Braves that season. And since his father put a curse on us, we had zero chance.
    That was actually not a bad staff of starters for the Reds.

Not Atlanta good of course, but pretty good.

And I guess that Atlanta starting staff is why they never lost in the playoffs?

In a 7 game series anyone can win, even a team of HOF starters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    3 batter minimum and Ozuna after Freeman probably eliminates that. Maybe in extra innings if the rest of the pen is used up.
    Is that still a thing in the playoffs? Still I might go to Miley with game on the line against Freeman. Soft tossing lefty might be a good chance of pace against Ozuna anyway

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Braves BABIP - .322 (1st in MLB)

Reds BABIP - .245 (Last in MLB)
    Note to the baseball gods: It's time for some normalizing movement

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-28-2020),CaiGuy (09-28-2020),Edd Roush (09-28-2020),M2 (09-28-2020),Ron Madden (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Braves bullpen has been solid most of the year. Starting pitchings is as much of a crapshoot as the Reds bullpen.

The offense scores late with regularity.

Would love to exorcise some demons from 1995.
    7th inning on the Braves pitchers have the 2nd worst OPS at .817

7th inning on the Reds pitchers are 5th best OPS at .683

Inherited runner scoring %

Reds 30%
    Braves 31%
    Last edited by HammerTime; 09-28-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Note to the baseball gods: It's time for some normalizing movement
    I want to see an overcorrection.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-28-2020),CesarGeronimo (09-29-2020),Edd Roush (09-28-2020),M2 (09-28-2020),Ron Madden (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    And he pitched even better in the playoffs.

The bullpen is what came apart in that series. The starters did fine (minus David Wells giving up a three-run jack to Charlie O'Brien). The Reds should have won the first two games of that series.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And he pitched even better in the playoffs.

The bullpen is what came apart in that series. The starters did fine (minus David Wells giving up a three-run jack to Charlie O'Brien). The Reds should have won the first two games of that series.
    The pen usually a main determiner of success in the playoffs. It’s nearly impossible to win in the postseason without a strong pen. It’s one of the reasons why the Braves only won one World Series title despite winning their division 15 years in a row, their pen was always suspect, except in 1995, the one year they won.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

REDREAD (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The pen usually a main determiner of success in the playoffs. It’s nearly impossible to win in the postseason without a strong pen. It’s one of the reasons why the Braves only won one World Series title despite winning their division 15 years in a row, their pen was always suspect, except in 1995, the one year they won.
    A pen eruption certainly can spoil everything, and Mike Jackson coming apart did not help one bit. Portugal got roughed up in extra innings of a game the Reds should have won in 9. In a right and just world, the Reds figure out how to get Barry Larkin in from 3B with no one out in the 8th.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?