Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Re: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Schourek-Maddux
    Smiley-Glavine
    Wells-Smoltz
    Portugal-Avery

Yeah, as difficult as it is to believe looking at the above, I knew the Reds were going to get crushed. BTW, just noticed, Pedro Borbon Jr. pitched in 41 games for the Braves that season. And since his father put a curse on us, we had zero chance.
    I think Schourek started game 4. Portugal pitched that disastrous 10th inning of game 2. I still remember standing there at Riverfront watching Javy Lopez’s 3 run towering blast down the LF line and losing all hope.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Realistically, I don't think we could have asked for a better matchup.

I'm actually surprised Kyle Wright would be their #3. And Ian Anderson is very talented, but awfully young and in his first playoff game.

I consider everything and anything else we get from this point as gravy. Making the post-season was always my goal for this team.

That being said, this is a winnable series.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-28-2020),Edd Roush (09-28-2020),M2 (09-28-2020),Revering4Blue (09-28-2020)

Servo typed up what's become my motto for this season - "Let’s just do it and be legends."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-28-2020),Edd Roush (09-28-2020),Old school 1983 (09-28-2020),Revering4Blue (09-28-2020),Ron Madden (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Servo typed up what's become my motto for this season - "Let’s just do it and be legends."
    Yep. In 2050 I want to get agitated as the Reds yet again bring out Garrett, Bradley and Iggy for a pregame ceremony honoring the 2020 champions.

8. Likes:

M2 (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think Schourek started game 4. Portugal pitched that disastrous 10th inning of game 2. I still remember standing there at Riverfront watching Javy Lopez’s 3 run towering blast down the LF line and losing all hope.
    I was there also, I remember not liking the decision to pitch Portugal in relief. Just looked it up, he had Zero relief appearances in 1993-1995.

Reds CAN win this series, I mean they just beat the Twins 2/3 who IMO are a better team than the Braves without Bauer pitching

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    Reds CAN win this series, I mean they just beat the Twins 2/3 who IMO are a better team than the Braves without Bauer pitching
    Glad to see they've won you over a bit.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Schourek-Maddux

Yeah, as difficult as it is to believe looking at the above, I knew the Reds were going to get crushed. BTW, just noticed, Pedro Borbon Jr. pitched in 41 games for the Braves that season. And since his father put a curse on us, we had zero chance.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon......Manny Mota...Mota...Mota.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2020)

I've wondered a long time about a strategic move that I've never really seen used on purpose but a 3 game series seems perfect to use it IMO. This is not about the Red/Braves as I don't think it applies(at least not for the Reds).

Let's say your opponent has the very best pitcher in baseball, or at least better than your ace. They naturally are going to send him out game one if available. If you on the other hand feel your ace is better than their #2 and your #2 is better than their #3, wouldn't you be better to just send your #3 out the first game, your ace out for the 2nd and your #2 out for the 3rd? Especially if they beat your matchups in all 3? If their 1,2 and 3 are better than your 1,2 and 3 respectively, each game you will be favored to lose. However, if your 1 is better than their 2 and 2 better than their 3, then you would only be favored to lose game one and win games 2 and 3(taking out the variance based on home field advantage).

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Our bullpen has been spectacular for some time.

Iggy, Sims, Garrett, Antoine and Lorenzen have been lights out for more than a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Is Antoine the new Inglesias?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

16. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (09-28-2020),Old school 1983 (09-28-2020),texasdave (09-28-2020),Tom Servo (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Is Antoine the new Inglesias?
    Trying to load a picture from reds.com where they call him Inglesias. I can’t get the picture to load. Boo
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 09-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Trevor Bauer
    @BauerOutage
    Home team: family members can attend the games.
    Visiting team: family members cannot attend the games.
    @mlb
    : Yup! Checks out!

Guess we didn’t win enough games this year to earn the right for our family to watch us play. Sorry Mom and Dad!

Watching MLB...Check out Al Leiters bracket prediction:

Is this a second curse?

20. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (09-28-2020),M2 (09-28-2020),OGB (09-29-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-28-2020),Ron Madden (09-28-2020)

I remember looking at the Reds results vs. Atlanta in 1995 and thinking, "well, the Reds did win 4 of the first 7 against them!" This was, of course, ignoring that the most recent of those games was in late June, the Braves won 5 of the last 6 head-to-head matchups, Maddux was virtually unhittable that season and Glavine was always Superman at Riverfront. Every night before the game started, my stepdad said, "I feel good about tonight." After game four he no longer felt good about tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Watching MLB...Check out Al Leiters bracket prediction:

Is this a second curse?
    That’s mine except I have the twinkies over the Sox.

Turn Off Ads?