Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Re: Reds/Braves Playoff Pitching Matchups....

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I was trying to find a way to sort pitches seen/pa by player but couldn't sort it out, but my guess is Shogo is near the top. Even if he makes an out, Shogo is allowing his team to see the pitcher's arsenal better than most players.

I was surprised to see the Reds as one of the best teams in that dept. Seems like something that helps a team over the course of a complete season (and less so over 60 games), another reason why the Reds might be better than their record indicates.
    Their walk rate as a team is right at the top of MLB alongside with the Yankees.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, does Fried being a lefty cause anyone angst? Winker, Moose and Votto were the team's best hitters. Shogo and Barnhart were hot in the 15 day push and the Freddy Galvis is clearly at his best hitting left handed. My game 1 questions:

1. Will Shogo and Winker play or will we see Aquino and Senzel get in there?
    2. Bauer seems to have taken to Barnhart as his catcher? Does Casali (and his solid OPS against lefty pitching) get the start?
    3. Does Jose Garcia play?

My line=up

Shogo LF
    Castellanos RF
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Moose 2B
    Casali C
    Winker DH
    Garcia SS
    Senzel CF
    If Bauer wanted Corky as his catcher, I would have to oblige...

I’m very concerned that we don’t have any reliable RH hitting. I don’t have much faith in Senzel or Aquino contributing from the right side.

I give Aquino the start simply because he could run into one over Senzel and I start Farmer at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

I’m very concerned that we don’t have any reliable RH hitting. I don’t have much faith in Senzel or Aquino contributing from the right side.

I give Aquino the start simply because he could run into one over Senzel and I start Farmer at SS.
    I like Farmer. He's a good defender at a lot of positions and can run into one once in a while, but against a lefty, the SS position is a write-off offensively. In that case, I take Garcia. I think Farmer is pretty good over there on defense, but compared to Garcia, it's not even close.

I like Senzel hitting 9th in front of Shogo. It could be the pesky, speedy section of the order for a team to face. Aquino is more of what they already seem to have with Castellanos and Suarez, with an even more likely o-fer with hope for a HR. I'm not a fan of fleas, but I think Senzdl is more likely to contribute than Aquino.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

So Joe West is on the umpiring crew, but won't be calling balls and strikes (assuming umpires do their normal rotation). This is a very good thing.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I was trying to find a way to sort pitches seen/pa by player but couldn't sort it out, but my guess is Shogo is near the top. Even if he makes an out, Shogo is allowing his team to see the pitcher's arsenal better than most players.

I was surprised to see the Reds as one of the best teams in that dept. Seems like something that helps a team over the course of a complete season (and less so over 60 games), another reason why the Reds might be better than their record indicates.
    Yep, Shogo leads the team with 4.46 pitches seen per PA. He ranked 3rd in MLB (behind Jose Ramirez and Christian Yelich) in that category.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

bagz (09-30-2020),Mitri (09-29-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-30-2020)

Braves fans online do not seem terribly enthused to play us.

And Dodgers fans seem very happy that they don't have to deal with us in the first round.

10. Likes:

M2 (09-30-2020)

I hear you, but Bauer seems to do all his own thinking and it's not like Casali is bad back there, so I don't really see why it makes a difference. Casali hits well against LHP. In spite of the recent run, offense is still an issue for this team and the reds only have 2 RH threats against a lefty. Casali adds a third and deepens the line-up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-29-2020)

Here's to hoping Bauer does a bit better than the AL Cy Young winner.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    And Dodgers fans seem very happy that they don't have to deal with us in the first round.

15. Likes:

kaldaniels (09-30-2020),podgejeff_ (09-30-2020),Revering4Blue (09-30-2020),Tom Servo (09-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Here's to hoping Bauer does a bit better than the AL Cy Young winner.
    Biebs got beat up pretty bad indeed. Only surprise is that it doesn't happen a little more often

So the Indians find themselves facing elimination after game one with Carrasco on the mound. I am much happier with the Reds starting rotation even if Cleveland is supposed to be the "pitching factory" for turning out starters.

Agree. Reds generally do better against RHP, although Fried does not have extreme splits.

But without Senzel at his best, the Reds are short at least one good RH bat. The lineup folks are positing has four LHH against Fried. That might be their best now, but would be better with one more high level RHH.

I’d actually lead off with Farmer in the current situation.

Farmer, Castellanos, Votto, Suarez, Moustakas, Casali, Winker, Senzel, Aquino to begin. Shogo and Galvis would be late inning replacements as needed against RH relievers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-30-2020 at 08:27 AM.

From Nightengale twitter:

#Reds add Matt Davidson and Travis Jankowski to postseason roster for Wild Card Series. Anthony DeSclafani and Sal Romano were taken off.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From Nightengale twitter:

#Reds add Matt Davidson and Travis Jankowski to postseason roster for Wild Card Series. Anthony DeSclafani and Sal Romano were taken off.

20. Likes:

757690 (09-30-2020),Edd Roush (10-01-2020),Mitri (09-30-2020),Revering4Blue (09-30-2020)

Today's game:

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

For those of you who were not around for the NLCS horror show against the Braves pitching in 1995 - well - you just saw a pretty great approximation of that. Only thing missing today was Reggie Sanders coming out of retirement to K a lot.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?