Turn Off Ads?

Thread: From dead in the water to 10/12 “experts” picking Reds to NLCS

www.TheMagGuy.com

From dead in the water to 10/12 “experts” picking Reds to NLCS

I must admit... 2 1/2 weeks ago I also thought the Reds had no shot at the Playoffs. I thought every single move David Bell made was the wrong move, I thought our bullpen was the worst in baseball, and we couldn’t score a single run without sitting back and waiting for a HR.
    My, my how things can change so fast.
    Our Redlegs went on an awesome streak to close out this weird season and find themselves as the popular choice to not only beat the Braves in Atlanta, but to go on and beat either the Cubs or Marlins and face the mighty Dodgers in the NLCS. This is rare territory for this generation of Reds fans. Not only to be in the Playoffs, but to be popular choice to advance.
    In the latest ESPN “expert” picks, 10 of 12 have the Reds moving all the way to the NLCS.
    This is too cool. I can’t express how excited I am!
    I was in Pittsburgh for the Wild Card game in 2013 and that ride home was horrible. I was so disappointed. Not to mention I was in GABP for games 3 & 4 vs the Giants in 2012. So this is a long time coming!!
    Ever since my dad took me to game 2 of the 1990 World Series when Joe Oliver hit the ball down the line to score the great Billy Bates I’ve wanted a winner so bad. I still have the nose bleed tickets to this day to prove I was there. I just wish I could be in Atlanta!
    Let’s do it Redlegs!!!!!!

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-29-2020),Chip R (09-29-2020),CySeymour (09-30-2020),Edd Roush (09-29-2020),forfreelin04 (09-29-2020),PuffyPig (09-29-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: From dead in the water to 10/12 “experts” picking Reds to NLCS

If the Reds can beat the Braves, then I expect them to take the winner of the Cubs-Marlins series. I think their current pitching form makes them extremely tough.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2020),Coopdaddy67 (09-29-2020),Edd Roush (09-29-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-30-2020),The Operator (09-29-2020)

This will be a classic, 'does good pitching beat good hitting' match-up.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-29-2020)

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    This will be a classic, 'does good pitching beat good hitting' match-up.
    It sure is. Looking at the numbers of the Braves lineup, it's downright night and day in comparison to the Reds. I think most of us would kill to just have one guy hitting for the year with those sorts of offensive slash lines! Lol

They call me "chef"

If Jesse Winker drinks his Jay Bruce juice before each game, the Moose takes some Zoom classes with Second City to nail his Scott Rolen impression, and everyone else stays where they’re at, I think they may do very well this post season.

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-29-2020),MR X (09-29-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegsFanatic View Post
    I must admit... 2 1/2 weeks ago I also thought the Reds had no shot at the Playoffs. I thought every single move David Bell made was the wrong move, I thought our bullpen was the worst in baseball, and we couldn’t score a single run without sitting back and waiting for a HR.
    My, my how things can change so fast.
    Our Redlegs went on an awesome streak to close out this weird season and find themselves as the popular choice to not only beat the Braves in Atlanta, but to go on and beat either the Cubs or Marlins and face the mighty Dodgers in the NLCS. This is rare territory for this generation of Reds fans. Not only to be in the Playoffs, but to be popular choice to advance.
    In the latest ESPN “expert” picks, 10 of 12 have the Reds moving all the way to the NLCS.
    This is too cool. I can’t express how excited I am!
    I was in Pittsburgh for the Wild Card game in 2013 and that ride home was horrible. I was so disappointed. Not to mention I was in GABP for games 3 & 4 vs the Giants in 2012. So this is a long time coming!!
    Ever since my dad took me to game 2 of the 1990 World Series when Joe Oliver hit the ball down the line to score the great Billy Bates I’ve wanted a winner so bad. I still have the nose bleed tickets to this day to prove I was there. I just wish I could be in Atlanta!
    Let’s do it Redlegs!!!!!!
    I sure did take the 70's for granted.

12. Likes:

Phoenix2 (09-29-2020),Revering4Blue (09-29-2020)

I agree with these experts. Bauer-Castillo-Gray is quite formidable and the lineup with our acquisitions is solid too. They absolutely have the talent to beat ATL and go deep into October.

Quote Originally Posted by StRedlegs900 View Post
    It sure is. Looking at the numbers of the Braves lineup, it's downright night and day in comparison to the Reds. I think most of us would kill to just have one guy hitting for the year with those sorts of offensive slash lines! Lol
    But maybe pitchers in the East were weaker. It's going to be a more interesting postseason with all the teams focused in their respective regions. I believe the Central teams were on balance better than East or West. Except for the Dodgers. They're great.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    But maybe pitchers in the East were weaker. It's going to be a more interesting postseason with all the teams focused in their respective regions. I believe the Central teams were on balance better than East or West. Except for the Dodgers. They're great.
    Well 7 of 10 Central teams made the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just win one game at a time, starting with tomorrow.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-30-2020),CaiGuy (09-30-2020),Edd Roush (09-29-2020),RedsBrick (09-29-2020),Revering4Blue (09-29-2020)

If I remember correctly, No Cincinnati team has advanced in the playoffs since 1995? I'm at the point in life where people are starting to call me old, and I still barely remember that. I'd love for a series win.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

19. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-30-2020)

I have no trust in this offense. You have to be good in all phases to make an NLCS and the offense is still really bad

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    I have no trust in this offense. You have to be good in all phases to make an NLCS and the offense is still really bad
    I disagree. This is not a bad offense. This offense is loaded with firepower, we just haven't seen it all come together yet.

This team finished two games above .500 with only two regulars hitting above .230 - Shogo at .245 and Winker at .255. Meanwhile the Braves finished 10 games above .500 with only two regulars hitting below .250 and none hit less than .237.

Biggest difference here?

2020 Batting Average on Balls in Play
    Atlanta Braves - .322 - 1st in MLB
    Cincinnati Reds - .244 - 30th in MLB

Another interesting tid-bit about Atlanta. Lets look at them against Ace level arms in 2020.

Guys they got to
    Gerrit Cole - 1
    Max Scherzer - 1
    Aaron Nola - 1

Guys that did well against them
    Zack Wheeler - x2
    Jacob DeGrom - x2
    Aaron Nola - 1
    Hyun-Jin Ryu - 1

They did not face Blake Snell.

I think that bodes well for us, as I would consider all 3 of Trevor, Luis, and Sonny as ace level guys based on their 2020

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?