Lubbock, Texas's Mac Davis passed away on September 29, 2020, age 78, following heart surgery.
The first concert I ever saw was by Mac Davis in Charleston, WV when I was a teenager.
He had a very successful song writing career in the late 1960s-early 1970s, writing several hit songs recorded by Elvis Presley, including In the Ghetto, Memories, Don't Cry Daddy and A Little Less Conversation, along with hit singles recorded by other artists including Watching Scotty Grow. Glen Campbell once remarked that "Mac doesn't write songs, he paints them."
Mac then had his own series of hit records, including Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me, I Believe In Music, Something's Burning, etc.
He co-starred with Nick Nolte in North Dallas Forty, playing QB "Seth Maxwell," a Don Meredith like character.
He had a few more hit songs in the 1980s, including It's Hard To Be Humble, Hooked On Music and Texas In My Rear View Mirror. The final words of the latter song end with "and when I die you can bury me in Lubbock, Texas, in my jeans...."