Turn Off Ads?
Page 160 of 161 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161 LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 2404

Thread: 9-30-20 Reds @ Braves WCS Game 1

Re: 9-30-20 Reds @ Braves WCS Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    lol @ servo defending bell's move to pinch-run jankowski for winker, when janko's run didn't even mean anything. that was peak bell stupidity there. right up there with when he ran out of batters in a 9-inning game this season when he had a roster of 30 players.
    Don't you have a Clay Travis podcast or something to be listening to.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-01-2020),Patrick Bateman (10-01-2020),Wonderful Monds (10-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The best guess I have, is that in the scenario where you are calling a double steal, perhaps bringing in a pinch hitter would provide the illusion they were planning to go up swinging away, and catch them by surprise. I was certainly surprised, for a variety of reasons (the decision to steal, the execution, and the pinch hitting of Davidson).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s my guess too - but It’s odd because Casali has been a much better hitter than Davidson. And the Braves know this, they’ve scouted the Reds thoroughly.

If the notion is to create an illusion of swinging away - to disguise the double steal - you’d want to put a better hitter up, not someone who’s struggled.

Either way, any defensive team is always aware of steal possibilities. Baffling move.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-30-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Meanwhile the Cardinals triple our run production for the day after three ABs... sounds about right. Goodness
    3*0 = 0? They scored 0 as well?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Casali career vs LHP - 266/.354/.468/.822
    Davidson career vs. LHP - .257/.334/.457/.792
    The dumbest of many dumb moves of the day.

7. Likes:

mth123 (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Indeed, one could argue that pinch hitting Davidson might tip off the Braves that something unusual was planned.

The move on its face doesn’t have a clear purpose.

Maybe Casali was injured or some other unknown reason.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-30-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Don't you have a Clay Travis podcast or something to be listening to.
    servo knows his comment was incredibly stupid, so he resorts to this.

(wait, actually he's right. i did miss clay making fun of the coronabros who said the MLB season would never make it to the playoffs due to the virus. i need to listen to that one.)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I didn’t really mind Jankowski running for Winker, I think I even posted at that moment in the game that he should be put in right before it happened. If they had only gone up 1-0 there, it would’ve definitely felt like the Braves were gonna come back to me. And they ended the game first and and third with a single, they were starting to get to our staff. Bringing Jankowski in was the move to win the game and slam the door on them, I don’t fault Bell for going for the kill.

I do however fault him for the dumbest, most poorly executed and unnecessary baserunning abomination I’ve ever seen in a high stakes playoff baseball game though. That was one of the dumbest managerial decisions I can ever remember seeing in my life. You don’t even need to pile on the guy beyond that move, honestly.

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (10-01-2020),mth123 (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I can't help but think that GABP ruins some of our guys. It inflates their numbers and makes them and ownership think they're better hitters than they really are. If the team played in a bigger ballpark where swinging for the fences wouldn't be as successful, they'd either have to learn how to play better small ball or be exposed as below league average hitters. Don't know what you do about it though. They're not gonna take out seats and eat into profits in order to change field dimensions. Will likely just continue with the 'home run or die' philosophy.

I don’t even believe prior to this year that in the last 2 years this ballpark has inflated anyone’s numbers except for Suarez who has become worse at hitting while still having the only consistent power on the team. They don’t have hitters who can sustain any BA above 280 now that Votto has lost his legs. Then they hire a hitting coach who stresses even more to try and hit for power. Even in their home park they are barely better then their opponents taking advantage of the park.

They still don’t hit for enough power to justify this type of hitting approach. 1 guy is a 40 plus home run power. Barely another 2 are 30. For this park and this hitting approach. That’s pathetic. Throw in no one who can come close to hitting .300. And I don’t mean a weak singles .300 but some someone with at least 2B power. Which is what Winker was supposed to be with walks. Now he’s doing a Ben Grieve impersonation. I would rather watch the 1982 hit and at least run then this POS.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020)

As a fan of baseball, that was one exciting game to watch. We got to watch one heck of a pitching performance, cliff-hanger moments, while these two teams made history (lol).

From a Red's fan perspective .... very, very frustrating. But it felt good to be yelling at the TV once again. Someone can correct me, but I counted 4 innings where we had men on, including 3B, with NO OUTS, and we couldn't get a run in. The majority of the time they couldn't make contact. And when they did they couldn't get it out of the infield. In the very 1st inning you get the first two guys on, runners on the corner, and Votto Suarez, Moose? ... nada

46 men were LOB by both teams yesterday - ATL 20 Reds 26. Votto, Suarez, Moose, Aquino, and Farmer, accounted for 18 of them. Moose led the pack with 5.

Like all, I'm sitting there watching this game, watching everyone of those situations (scoring opportunities), and for the most part, they were an embarrassment at the plate, looked terrible. Can't one of you, somebody, make contact and get one into the OF? Obviously not (lol). Frustrating game to watch.

And watching Galvis stand up there, in a critical situation, and not even take the bat off his shoulder infuriated me to no ends!

Just browsing some various offensive numbers on this team, nothing really in-depth, on the surface this offense's main problem is plating them (runs). With RISP - and with pretty respectable numbers in OPS (7th), Slg% (8th), OB% (11th) - they were dead last in Runs (147).

Don't know for certain, but that .216 team batting average, last in MLB, may have something to do with it IMO. Not one player even close enough to sniff .300. Farmer lead the team (.266). Today, everything seems to be geared at LA (Hrs), or working a Walk. They don't teach the art of hitting anymore? LOL Yeah, not afraid to say it gets a little frustrating watching our batters let good pitches go by, falling behind, because they're looking for that "perfect" pitch to launch. And then flailing away.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

757690 (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Don't know for certain, but that .216 team batting average, last in MLB, may have something to do with it IMO. Not one player even close enough to sniff .300. Farmer lead the team (.266). Today, everything seems to be geared at LA (Hrs), or working a Walk. They don't teach the art of hitting anymore? LOL Yeah, not afraid to say it gets a little frustrating watching our batters let good pitches go by, falling behind, because they're looking for that "perfect" pitch to launch. And then flailing away.
    There should still be room for the traditional good hitter. Shogo, Senzel are two who don’t sell out for power. Reds need to add to that group.

The transformation of Reds’ offense is most striking with Winker. He’s done well with it. But he’s such a different hitter now, he used to be a classic good hitter with occasional power. Now he’s a power hitter with higher strikeout totals.

There’s nothing wrong with power hitters who strike out. I saw Bench, Perez, Lee May, Foster strike out plenty for that era - and they didn’t shy away from a power approach. But Reds also had Rose, Griffey and eventually Morgan with a balanced hitting approach. Reds goal should be to restore that kind of offensive balance beginning next season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-01-2020 at 08:00 AM.

17. Likes:

GAC (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I didn’t really mind Jankowski running for Winker, I think I even posted at that moment in the game that he should be put in right before it happened. If they had only gone up 1-0 there, it would’ve definitely felt like the Braves were gonna come back to me. And they ended the game first and and third with a single, they were starting to get to our staff. Bringing Jankowski in was the move to win the game and slam the door on them, I don’t fault Bell for going for the kill.

I do however fault him for the dumbest, most poorly executed and unnecessary baserunning abomination I’ve ever seen in a high stakes playoff baseball game though. That was one of the dumbest managerial decisions I can ever remember seeing in my life. You don’t even need to pile on the guy beyond that move, honestly.
    Yeah, you are planning that inning out with the assumption that the lineup would turn over again. You are playing as if it's your last.

after sleeping on it, i don't feel any better. david bell trying that idiotic "double steal" is as bad as it gets. you simply cannot try and do a high school JV play like that in MLB. what the hell was he thinking there?

also, the reds blew an historically-great pitching performance from trevor bauer.

unfortunately, we will be talking about that game for a long time, much like game 3 of the 2012 series against the giants.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020)

You watch, after Galvis stood their to scared to even flinch at a pitch, Bell will have him in the lineup today.

PS: if the lineup is already posted and he is not in it, I stand corrected.

Editing post, I just checked and guess what? Galvis is starting.
    Last edited by MFDChief; 10-01-2020 at 09:36 AM.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Galvis was hitting righties pretty well lately. I did absolutely hate his at bat more than anyone else yesterday, but he is typically worse from the right hand side.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Galvis was hitting righties pretty well lately. I did absolutely hate his at bat more than anyone else yesterday, but he is typically worse from the right hand side.

The other options are also Farmer who was a trainwreck yesterday as well, and Garcia who shouldn’t be above AA ball right now

Turn Off Ads?