Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me...

Tell me...

I want your thoughts on this. I didn’t get to see a single pitch of game 1....haven’t heard a recap and didn’t see a single highlight.

Here’s my thoughts of what likely happened. No runs in 13 innings? Well, it’s the playoffs and no one gives in on the mound...good pitchers don’t give in. I feel the Reds likely were aggressive early in counts and played right into Fried’s hands. Didn’t work him. Didn’t swing to hit ball hard where pitched but instead swung for home runs and pull happy. Oppo not a thought for most Reds hitters. Didn’t score in 13 innings? Guessing shoddy base running to compound the crappy hitting approaches.

I don’t know if I’m right or wrong or not close but the organizational approach to plate appearances and hitting has driven me nuts for years.
    Last edited by Ironman92; 09-30-2020 at 09:05 PM.

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (10-01-2020),goreds2 (09-30-2020),malcontent (10-01-2020),Patrick Bateman (10-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tell me...

Shoddy base running was the key to the Reds not scoring. It’s scary you mentioned that if you hadn’t heard anything about the game as you mentioned.

5. Likes:

joshua (10-01-2020)

Today's game came down to really bad situational hitting.

They had several opportunities to generate a run by simply putting the ball in play. They failed miserably.

Farmer's AB continues to eat at me.

7. Likes:

joshua (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Rojo Rijo (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Shoddy base running was the key to the Reds not scoring. It’s scary you mentioned that if you hadn’t heard anything about the game as you mentioned.
    They’ve been bad on defense and base running all year. Hard not to score in 13 innings, takes more than just not hitting.

9. Likes:

Rantly (09-30-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post

They had several opportunities to generate a run by simply putting the ball in play. They failed miserably.

I mean did they look to be willing to put it in play or where they looking to drive the hall hard and not adjust? Votto is one that understands those situations and often shortens up or refuses to simply wail away.

Biggest thing that shouts out at me about this team is that there aren’t many dependable bats that can deliver against both RH and LH and there are not many bat on ball guys. Thus you end up playing matchup in moments that you think can deliver only to fail and have that leverage reversed on you later on. The lack of bat on ball guys stops things from happening, thus you strand runners when you K.

Plus... how about more than one LH reliever some year soon.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-01-2020),alwaysawarrior (10-01-2020),BoxingRed (10-01-2020),CrackerJack (09-30-2020),goreds2 (09-30-2020),joshua (10-01-2020),Old school 1983 (10-01-2020),Patrick Bateman (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),SunDeck (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I mean did they look to be willing to put it in play or where they looking to drive the hall hard and not adjust? Votto is one that understands those situations and often shortens up or refuses to simply wail away.
    Lots of flailing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes:

CrackerJack (09-30-2020),Ironman92 (09-30-2020),Old school 1983 (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Other than an easy schedule at the end of the year with the lowly Pirates and the already in and not going all out White Sox and Twins, they've been pressing all year and its been hurting their performance. Today, they looked really tight. I'd imagine if you put a lump of coal between their cheeks, you'd have had a fortune in diamonds by the time the game was over. They just tightened up and couldn't come through when it mattered. It's been what they've done most of the year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

goreds2 (09-30-2020)

well-coached teams never do things like run themselves out of innings multiple times, and find ways not to score when your starting pitcher is having a historically-great game. it's not all bell's fault, of course, but this team sure has all the makings of a poorly-coached club.

and bell's JV high school baseball play there to try and manufacture a run on a "double steal" was as big of a clown show as you will ever see.

18. Likes:

joshua (10-01-2020),smixsell (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post

Farmer’s SO on the pitch above his head was horrible! Yea, time for him to move on.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Biggest thing that shouts out at me about this team is that there aren’t many dependable bats that can deliver against both RH and LH and there are not many bat on ball guys. Thus you end up playing matchup in moments that you think can deliver only to fail and have that leverage reversed on you later on. The lack of bat on ball guys stops things from happening, thus you strand runners when you K.

Plus... how about more than one LH reliever some year soon.
    Felt like ATL had a half dozen of them just today.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

21. Likes:

goreds2 (09-30-2020),westofyou (09-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Felt like ATL had a half dozen of them just today.
    It really did! And all with microscopic ERAs

23. Likes:

westofyou (09-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Farmer’s SO on the pitch above his head was horrible! Yea, time for him to move on.
    Galvis was pretty laughable too. Never took the bat off his shoulder and took multiple pitches literally right down the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

25. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-01-2020),joshua (10-01-2020),Patrick Bateman (10-01-2020)

1st inning: Runners 1st and 3rd, nobody out

7th inning: Runners 1st and 2nd, 1 out

11th inning: Bases loaded, 2 outs

12th inning: Runners 1st and 3rd, nobody out

13th inning: Bases loaded, 1 out

End result? ZERO Runs. And I feel like I may be forgetting a few blown opportunities in there. It takes a pretty special level of futility to get shut out when you had that many opportunities. Their approach literally played right into Fried’s hand all day. The announcers were talking about how The Braves weren’t even expecting him to go very long today because he hadn’t pitched very much in the last few weeks and what do Reds hitters do? Go up there flailing away, making quick out after quick out and even in situation where a lazy fly ball scores a run they swing for the fences and get shut out.

Key Contributors:

Castellanos getting thrown out trying to take 3rd base on a single. 2012 Phillips Game 3-esque

David Bell burning Casali for Davidson (who doesn’t even hit LHP as well as Casali) and then trying a little league trick play that got snuffed out, which burned Davidson in addition to Casali because Davidson obviously can’t take over as a catcher

Kyle Farmer. Just awful game all around, culminated in a swinging strike 3 at his eyes, if not above.

Galvis pinch hitting and never taking the bat off his shoulder while watching multiple pitches “Right down Broadway”.

Bell pinch running Jankowski for Winker with runners 1st and 3rd even though Winker wasn’t the go ahead run. That led to Jose Garcia batting with the bases loaded in the 13th. And Winker was the DH, so The Reds didn’t even get a defensive upgrade by bringing Jankowski in there.

Bell got out of the team’s way during the late season surge but Bell the smartest guy in the room roared back into the picture and tinkered all day today.

The Reds had a historically great pitching performance against an absolute loaded offense and had every chance to win the game handily and wound up getting shutout due to poor plate approach and bonehead decisions.

Pretty hard to swallow.
    Last edited by The Operator; 10-01-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

27. Likes:

50YrRedsFan (10-01-2020),alwaysawarrior (10-01-2020),Banshee (10-01-2020),Bob Sheed (10-01-2020),Boss-Hog (10-01-2020),BoxingRed (10-01-2020),CarolinaRedleg (10-01-2020),dreghorntwo (10-01-2020),foster15 (10-01-2020),Ironman92 (10-01-2020),JFLegal (10-01-2020),malcontent (10-01-2020),mhs95_06 (10-02-2020),Old school 1983 (10-01-2020),Patrick Bateman (10-01-2020),Rantly (10-01-2020),Red Raindog (10-01-2020),RedsfaninMT (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Tuff Nut (10-01-2020)

hardest loss in a while for me. I actually exited the RZ message board around the 7th inning because I became irritated and felt like I needed to zone in and avoid distractions....as I hoped some way we would find the smallest bit of offense needed to win this game. To see Trevor and the bullpen go out there and shut one of the best offenses in baseball down while guys that are paid for offense simply could not get the job done caused me to become more bitter by the inning. I really do not care too much about the nuances if they were too aggressive early in the count or other details....at the end of the day, they only needed a single run over 9 innings to win this game, and likely the series. A few were decent, but our catchers and shortstop need major upgrades this offseason as today made it clear they can't compete at this level....the stage was just too big. I hope we can get back into the series tomorrow, but allowing a very winnable game get away from us against the #2 seed does not usually result in good things in a short series.

The guy who performed on the stage was Trevor Bauer. I have seen some write ups suggest him and Fried were somewhat equal in their performance, and that is not accurate. No way Fried has that success against a lineup with Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna, d'Arnaud, etc. I will be a long time supporter of Bauer even if he bounces, because that was a baller performance. Also, tip of the hat to the bullpen....Iglesias, Sims and Lorenzen stepped on the big stage and performed like they belonged.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

29. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-01-2020),bounty37h (10-01-2020),CesarGeronimo (10-01-2020),fondfoat (10-01-2020),malcontent (10-01-2020),Patrick Bateman (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),The Operator (10-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?