Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Tell me...

Aquino should see nothing but breaking balls the rest of his career.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm listening to C. Trent now on a podcast, and he acknowledges the other criticisms of the players and Bell are valid, in his opinion, but not this one because it was Votto running on Duvall's arm. He fails to mention that Votto went back to second base which made the decision a moot point. My question is do people think Votto scores running on Duvall if he simply holds to make sure the ball isn't caught rather than initially retreating back to second?
    Good question! When that ball went through to left field for a hit, my first reaction was Yes! we finally scored a run. In almost all situations that should be a run. Votto being the runner is an exception. Not only is he slow he is not a very heady base runner. He might have been thrown out but I guess we'll never know.

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-01-2020)

yes, votto is one of the worst baserunners i've ever seen. and i am certainly not just basing that on the one play yesterday. he has very poor instincts on the basepaths, he's slow, and he doesn't even know how to slide properly (for such a cerebral baseball player, the last one is a big head-scratcher for me).

7. Likes:

malcontent (10-01-2020),Rantly (10-01-2020)

I'm listening to C. Trent now on a podcast, and he acknowledges the other criticisms of the players and Bell are valid, in his opinion, but not this one because it was Votto running on Duvall's arm. He fails to mention that Votto went back to second base which made the decision a moot point. My question is do people think Votto scores running on Duvall if he simply holds to make sure the ball isn't caught rather than initially retreating back to second?
    No.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-01-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I thought he would have scored, given how far Duvall had to go to field it, but it was Votto running and Duvall has a history of making tough throws.....

Let's just say Jankowski would have had no issue.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-01-2020)

I'm still trying to figure out why Kyle Farmer and Aristides Aquino started a playoff game.

13. Likes:

jimbo (10-02-2020),smixsell (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why Kyle Farmer and Aristides Aquino started a playoff game.
    Bruce has seemingly disappeared
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

Everybody gets to play.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2020),SunDeck (10-02-2020)

1. Is Galvis vs. LH starter really any better than Farmer?
    2. Who you DHing vs. LH if not Aquino? Davidson or Shogo ? You want to back to Phil Ervin?

not a ton of good options to be honest for Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    1. Is Galvis vs. LH starter really any better than Farmer?
    2. Who you DHing vs. LH if not Aquino? Davidson or Shogo ? You want to back to Phil Ervin?

not a ton of good options to be honest for Bell.
    I'd have started Shogo in LF, Winker at DH and Garcia at SS. Garcia provides a spark on defense that Farmer doesn't and I probably like Farmer more than most on here. He's a fine and versatile bench player, but he's a bench player.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

First of all, I was really just happy to be there, good Lord willing, etc. etc. I actually purchased online content to watch the games and I don't regret it.

I watched every inning until Freeman's hit that won the game yesterday. My take is pretty simple, this playoff series was a perfect example of the difference between the two teams; one full of guys with no experience in the playoffs, losing their heads and playing terrible situational baseball, the other has Freddie Freeman. The Reds had so many chances on Wednesday, had Fried in a bad spot in the first inning and couldn't push one over. Fried was not pitching well at that point, the Reds clearly had a plan to come out hacking and it seemed to be working, and then maybe the worst at bat ever by Votto. I was really surprised by him that inning and looking back it just set the tone for their terrible hitting in the following 21 innings. Don't get me wrong, this team was pleasing and I was happy to be caring about baseball in October. It was a nice little respite from all the terribleness of 2020. The pitching did not fail them, it was all on the offense and the Reds most glaring weakness was uncovered in a big way, which is kind of what happens in post season play. On top of that, the baserunning in game one; I guess I wasn't surprised by it and once Castellanos took off for third on a hit to LEFT FIELD, I realized he was in over his head, full of adrenaline. I mean really, what on earth was he thinking?

Anyway, so that's where they were in their first chance, basically. Good to get that sickening performance out of the way and then stew over it all Winter. I anticipate (hope) the Reds will address the imbalance of hitters v. sluggers on this team because the pitching window is not going to last and while I am not completely convinced the Reds are as bad a hitting team as this shortened season would indicated, they do have some work to do.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

21. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    well-coached teams never do things like run themselves out of innings multiple times, and find ways not to score when your starting pitcher is having a historically-great game. it's not all bell's fault, of course, but this team sure has all the makings of a poorly-coached club.

and bell's JV high school baseball play there to try and manufacture a run on a "double steal" was as big of a clown show as you will ever see.
    If you have two guys who have even a remote idea of how to execute that play, Bell's a genius. I'm not sure I would have made the play there, but one thing was clear at that point- Fried had settled in and no one was getting any kind of good bat on barrel stuff against him. Terrible bat control put them in a situation where Bell really may have figured they weren't going anywhere for a while. What's different is that the Braves were outmatched by Bauer and maybe figured all they needed to do was hang in there until he was gone from the game.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    If you have two guys who have even a remote idea of how to execute that play, Bell's a genius. I'm not sure I would have made the play there, but one thing was clear at that point- Fried had settled in and no one was getting any kind of good bat on barrel stuff against him. Terrible bat control put them in a situation where Bell really may have figured they weren't going anywhere for a while. What's different is that the Braves were outmatched by Bauer and maybe figured all they needed to do was hang in there until he was gone from the game.
    IMO, there is no one in the big leagues who can execute that play successfully without the defense making an error. It's a sandlot play that big league defenders handle easily.

Of the long list of aggravating plays in game 1, that one might be the most aggravating for me. That's a scoring play. If Suarez's eyes were lasers, Votto would be dead today. The look on his face towards Votto spoke volumes.

No need for Votto to go back towards 2nd, simply hold. Even if the 3rd baseman snags it, he's on the ground giving Votto time to get back. Who knows if he scores or not, but I would've liked to have seen the outcome.

Adding to the aggravation is the fact that Bell burned a pinch runner in the inning before for a runner at first, making him unavailable for the slower Votto in a more realistic situation in the 13th with a runner in scoring position.

25. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-02-2020)

Same reason why Bell pinch hit Casali with Davidson.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?