Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason plans

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Offseason plans

I look at the offense side of the roster and beyond Garcia And Ty Steve there’s not a player I cry about if they’re gone next year..

A few more drinks may change my thinking though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Likes:

bagz (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    He had a really good 2018. Aside from 2018 and 2019, his career OBP is in the mid .320's and he'll be 32 in January.

This year was his worst since his rookie year offensively. Defensively, he was a negative WAR guy. Is that a product of this being a special season or is he already in decline? Who knows, but I don't want to see the Reds use valuable trade chips to acquire the guy and find out.
    Might not have to use anything of huge value to get him. Guy I really want from KC is Staumont. He throws absolute filth.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I look at the offense side of the roster and beyond Garcia And Ty Steve there’s not a player I cry about if they’re gone next year..

A few more drinks may change my thinking though.

I want to keep moose around. Castellanos is better than he hit this year too.

Offseason plans

In watching the youth that has developed with Braves, White Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, the Reds simply are a horrible organization for drafting or identifying blue chips kids.

When you look at the Tatis, Acuna, the Sox youth, etc, the Reds are abysmal failures. We have rocks.

Ty Steph may turn out good, but what has this system produced since Votto?

Have this farm system produce 1 quality OF since Paul Oneill? The Reds don’t draft athletes and it shows. Dunn, Bruce, Senzel, India...there is a pattern there I see. Can we get a position player that can play baseball and is also an athlete?
    Last edited by SomeCallMeTim; 10-01-2020 at 05:08 PM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Another guy that could help that is a FA is DJ lemahieu. Yes he’s older. But gives tough AB and gets on base.

9. Likes:

HammerTime (10-02-2020)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Offseason plans

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I want to keep moose around. Castellanos is better than he hit this year too.
    I understand but I got ill watching Castellanos wave at breaking balls this year.

Moose has old man skills in my opinion.

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I understand but I got ill watching Castellanos wave at breaking balls this year.

Moose has old man skills in my opinion.

Castellanos was the hottest hitter on the planet for about 2 weeks. That’s valuable. I don’t think Moose ever got his footing this year. I keep them both. Everyone else is fair game to go imo. I think Suarez is the short straw. I try to pull off something with Atlanta around Pache, a lefty reliever, and one of their many MLB ready starter prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    In watching the youth that has developed with Braves, White Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, the Reds simply are a horrible organization for drafting or identifying blue chips kids.

When you look at the Tatis, Acuna, the Sox youth, etc, the Reds are abysmal failures. We have rocks.

Have this farm system produce 1 quality OF since Paul Oneill? The Reds don’t draft athletes and it shows. Dunn, Bruce, Senzel, India...there is a pattern there I see. Can we get a position player that can play baseball and is also an athlete?
    Dude, in what world was Jay Bruce not a quality outfielder? He was a very good player for the Reds.

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-02-2020),BoxingRed (10-02-2020),CarolinaRedleg (10-01-2020),Old school 1983 (10-01-2020),RedsFanInMS (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Tuff Nut (10-02-2020)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Based upon any reasonable metric, this organization would still be better off producing more Adam Dunns and Jay Bruces, not fewer.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-01-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

757690 (10-01-2020),Old school 1983 (10-01-2020)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Open the wallet and spend money to make the team better or rip the band-aid off and start the rebuild again.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khunter2 View Post
    How much would Jose Iglesias have helped this team? Obviously a smaller sample size but compared to DJ-
    DJ .364 .421 .590 1.011
    JI .373 .400 .556 .956

And no, I'm not suggesting that JI=DJ just an observation.
    That's a great question. A big "what if," although I wasn't completely sold on Iglesias building on his 2019 season.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Need to focus more on Latinos, IMHO. Common thread behind almost all those teams you mentioned with young talent.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

19. Likes:

757690 (10-01-2020),malcontent (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Need to focus more on Latinos, IMHO. Common thread behind almost all those teams you mentioned with young talent.
    Reds were strong with international scouting until Marge gutted the entire scouting department. They have never gotten back on track. Hopefully Garcia is step in the right direction, but they need like a dozen more to catch up with the rest of the league.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Castellanos was the hottest hitter on the planet for about 2 weeks. That’s valuable.
    And he was mediocre at best for the other 8 weeks. That's not valuable.

I was as excited as anyone about Cast's potential as a Red after his Cubs numbers last year, but I think that early hot streak was his last hurrah and if so, I do NOT want to be stuck with him for 3 more years. WAY too many strikeouts for the #2 spot in the lineup. The guy just isn't a patient enough hitter and is clearly overmatched on most good breaking balls. If we had more high contact guys, I could live with him around 6th in the lineup, but we know he has to get his way and bat where he wants and field where he wants (in RF where he is well below average). After what I saw the last 2 days, I think Castellanos is the kind of player the Reds should be moving AWAY from. But I don't see another team offering him more after this season's numbers and so you'll probably get to watch him in red again next year.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by khunter2 View Post
    How much would Jose Iglesias have helped this team? Obviously a smaller sample size but compared to DJ-
    DJ .364 .421 .590 1.011
    JI .373 .400 .556 .956

And no, I'm not suggesting that JI=DJ just an observation.
    Jose Iglesias’ season was hard to predict. But Didi’s was not.

I am not sure Didi would have come to the Reds with a better offer, but I would have rather they turned down Galvis’ option and went hell bent on signing Didi. I think that would have made a huge difference this season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

25. Likes:

mth123 (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),TexasRedsFan (10-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?