Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason plans

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Offseason plans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Dunn, Bruce, Senzel, India...there is a pattern there I see.
    B-U-C-K-L-E-Y. That's the pattern. He was an abysmal failure, AFAIC.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Likes:

podgejeff_ (10-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    In watching the youth that has developed with Braves, White Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, the Reds simply are a horrible organization for drafting or identifying blue chips kids.

When you look at the Tatis, Acuna, the Sox youth, etc, the Reds are abysmal failures. We have rocks.

Ty Steph may turn out good, but what has this system produced since Votto?

Have this farm system produce 1 quality OF since Paul Oneill? The Reds don’t draft athletes and it shows. Dunn, Bruce, Senzel, India...there is a pattern there I see. Can we get a position player that can play baseball and is also an athlete?
    I get your point, but they have drafted some athletes. Most never make it to the bigs though.
    Stubbs and Billy Hamilton were fantastic athletes. Lorenzen is a fantastic athlete too (although not a position player, just pointing it out). But your point is solid.. they can't develop athletes into multi-faceted players that teams need to win.
    Most of their guys are either great defenders or decent hitters. Seldom both.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 10-01-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    And he was mediocre at best for the other 8 weeks. That's not valuable.

I was as excited as anyone about Cast's potential as a Red after his Cubs numbers last year, but I think that early hot streak was his last hurrah and if so, I do NOT want to be stuck with him for 3 more years. WAY too many strikeouts for the #2 spot in the lineup. The guy just isn't a patient enough hitter and is clearly overmatched on most good breaking balls. If we had more high contact guys, I could live with him around 6th in the lineup, but we know he has to get his way and bat where he wants and field where he wants (in RF where he is well below average). After what I saw the last 2 days, I think Castellanos is the kind of player the Reds should be moving AWAY from. But I don't see another team offering him more after this season's numbers and so you'll probably get to watch him in red again next year.
    I’ll go with what’s on the back of his baseball card. Guys a solid hitter. Not a world beater. But I’m not sweating his bat. His D on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Whit Merrifield is a guy I want the Reds to target in the offseason. When I was watching, he gave some of the toughest at bats I have seen all year. Plus he can play all over, so grabbing him doesn’t lock the Reds in positionally.
    He's a good target, but unless the Reds dangle Hunter Greene, why would KC deal him?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's a good target, but unless the Reds dangle Hunter Greene, why would KC deal him?
    I love how you over value anyone not on the Reds and undervalue every Reds prospects

Merrifield will be 32 and only has two years of control left. It won’t demand much in terms of prospects. Something similar to what Bauer demanded. At top 100 prospect and some filler.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

HammerTime (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I love how you over value anyone not on the Reds and undervalue every Reds prospects

Merrifield will be 32 and only has two years of control left. It won’t demand much in terms of prospects. Something similar to what Bauer demanded. At top 100 prospect and some filler.
    So what else can the Reds deal? KC isn't taking aging contracts or failed prospects. The Reds would need to trade one of their main guys or top kids. If your dealing for Whit to win, they aren't dealing mainstay big leaguers. They could probably deal Senzel for him, but the Reds would need to throw something else in. I'd just keep Senzel. Greene or Lodolo are the only guys who make sense for both teams, but they could/should get better for those guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

So what else can the Reds deal? KC isn't taking aging contracts or failed prospects. The Reds would need to trade one of their main guys or top kids. If your dealing for Whit to win, they aren't dealing mainstay big leaguers. They could probably deal Senzel for him, but the Reds would need to throw something else in. I'd just keep Senzel. Greene or Lodolo are the only guys who make sense for both teams, but they could/should get better for those guys.
    Well, Lodolo isn't Greene, and you first said it was Greene or nothing.

There also is T. Stephenson, Garcia, and India to build around.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I agree with your point. This shows though how the poor decision making last winter is going to bite them.
    If the Reds had signed an effective starting pitcher, as opposed to Miley, the Reds could dangle Antone, Mahle or possibly even Lorenzen as trade bait. A team like KC would find those guys attractive. But since we are stuck with Miley, that limits our pitching depth available for trade. I'm not suggesting we trade any of those 3 guys for Merrifield, but those are 3 more guys that have potential trade value if the Reds want to make some moves.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Well, Lodolo isn't Greene, and you first said it was Greene or nothing.

There also is T. Stephenson, Garcia, and India to build around.
    Their core is Salvador Perez and Aldabero Mondesi who play Stephenson and Garcia's positions. India isn't bringing back more than a competent middle reliever at this point. Maybe mid-year if he has a strong start.

Maybe the Reds should bring up the youth and let them play. Astros did it and look what happened.

The Reds have traded 2 players that are the number 1 prospect for their new teams. See Dodgers and Redsox.

They continue to trade away the future for now and it is not working.

Imagine Downs at SS next year and Josiah Gray in the rotation next year with Green and Lodolo ready and waiting.

You have a solid 1-2 with Gray and Castillo. Mahle Green and Lodolo would make a great rotation.

Senzel is your 2nd baseman next year and Moose is at 1st base. Shogo has to play everyday and Winker does to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Just like last year, IMHO, the 3 biggest holes are SP (never enough), SS (I wanted too turn down Galvis' contract), and CF (I wanted Senzel moved to 2B-he's blocked there now).

I would not go into next year with the current rotation minus Bauer, nor would I go into next season with 23 year old Garcia penciled in at SS, nor would I go into next year with Senzel/Shogo/Aquino penciled in to CF/LF (assuming Winker is the DH).

17. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Probably useless but try to resign Bauer. Keep Sonny Gray , Castillo and Tyler Stevens. Get rid of everyone else. All they know is how to lose.

When was the last St. Louis Cardinals rebuild, I forget...

Oh that's right. They don't do that.

Because it's pointless to do so.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020),savafan (10-02-2020)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When was the last St. Louis Cardinals rebuild, I forget...

Oh that's right. They don't do that.

Because it's pointless to do so.
    Life is good when you've got a great scouting department and an owner who believes in spending what it takes to win.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    B-U-C-K-L-E-Y. That's the pattern. He was an abysmal failure, AFAIC.
    I don't think Dunn and Bruce were a result of Buckley. Buckley's drafts started with Stubbs and ended with India.

Still, a decent point made.

24. Likes:

757690 (10-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?