Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Offseason plans

Re: Offseason plans

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Since 2018, he has the 2nd most HR's in MLB (most in NL). ~24th best OPS+ in MLB over that time. 8th most RBI's if you prefer (3rd in NL).

I am all for the Reds finding 3 or 4 better hitters than Eugenio and pushing him down in the lineup, but let's not go crazy and understate his ability with the bat. You're talking about picking up 3 or 4 out of about 25 players.
    Seems silly so many are writing him off so fast because of this mess of a season.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-20-2020),Coopdaddy67 (10-20-2020),marcshoe (10-19-2020),Ron Madden (10-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I want Stephenson to be the primary catcher next year. For the last few years, it's been Barnhart. Keeping Barnhart around seems like it's making Stephenson a back-up.
    Whatever the perception - whichever catcher they keep has to know that the goal is for Tyler Stephenson to play most of the time. Maybe not day one, but as soon as he settles in.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Seems silly so many are writing him off so fast because of this mess of a season.
    I’m not writing him off. On the contrary, I think he has value. Value that could be parlayed into more parts that the team is missing. There’s plenty of swing and miss power already.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’m not writing him off. On the contrary, I think he has value. Value that could be parlayed into more parts that the team is missing. There’s plenty of swing and miss power already.
    But only Suarez has top player potential. The Reds have some holes to fill, but they are at a big disadvantage when matching the top guys with other team's top guys. They can fill holes other ways. Dump some salary and sign guys who fit to fill the holes.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

But only Suarez has top player potential.
    Castellanos too, IMO.

Trading your most productive hitters for other players that just might be productive is no way to fix your offense. JMO

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-20-2020),CaiGuy (10-21-2020),Redsfan6272 (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Castellanos too, IMO.
    The whole time Castellanos was on the Tigers, I was thinking I wanted the Reds to get him. When the Reds signed him, I was pretty excited. After last year, I don't think he worth the cost and the defensive problems. He's a one year proposition. If he has a good year, he's outta here. If not, the Reds are stuck for another 2 years. Deal him and use the money on a more all around player who allows the team to use Winker in LF and address it's infield problems. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The whole time Castellanos was on the Tigers, I was thinking I wanted the Reds to get him. When the Reds signed him, I was pretty excited. After last year, I don't think he worth the cost and the defensive problems. He's a one year proposition. If he has a good year, he's outta here. If not, the Reds are stuck for another 2 years. Deal him and use the money on a more all around player who allows the team to use Winker in LF and address it's infield problems. .
    This is a stronger presentation of this argument. That Cast is a one-year player unless he’s truly regressed, in which case Reds would be stuck with him as “damaged goods.” If he has a good 2021 he’s gone. Good argument.

The counter is that Cast’s value is low today. So if he struggles in 2021, Reds haven’t lost value - He’ll be “sell low” then and he’s “sell low” now. Indeed, this year could be worst time to trade him due to COVID finances.

If Cast gets hot in 2021 either he helps Reds to a big year or they can flip him at the deadline. By then maybe an internal player like India might be ready to take his spot. If he goes now, you need to pay another outfielder.

One might assume that Krall won’t want to break up this team so quickly, he (Krall) was part of last off-season’s build. So I think it’s most likely Reds will make smaller moves, but obviously anything can happen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-21-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Castellanos was unlucky, not bad. His overall line should have been somewhere along 275/350/525 (IIRC).

Shrug.

Odd things happen in 60 games.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-21-2020),CySeymour (10-21-2020),M2 (10-21-2020),Ron Madden (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is a stronger presentation of this argument. That Cast is a one-year player unless he’s truly regressed, in which case Reds would be stuck with him as “damaged goods.” If he has a good 2021 he’s gone. Good argument.

The counter is that Cast’s value is low today. So if he struggles in 2021, Reds haven’t lost value - He’ll be “sell low” then and he’s “sell low” now. Indeed, this year could be worst time to trade him due to COVID finances.

If Cast gets hot in 2021 either he helps Reds to a big year or they can flip him at the deadline. By then maybe an internal player like India might be ready to take his spot. If he goes now, you need to pay another outfielder.

One might assume that Krall won’t want to break up this team so quickly, he (Krall) was part of last off-season’s build. So I think it’s most likely Reds will make smaller moves, but obviously anything can happen.
    The counter here is that right now they can probably still move the contract. If he has another bad year, the Reds will be stuck. I've given up on actually being able to egt any talent back. The Reds best opportunity to deal him is to a team that thinks he will rebound and want him for this year. They know he'll be opting out, so they'll view him as a rental and the return won't be much. If he has a bad or mediocre year in 2021, nobody is taking those final two years of the deal.

The Reds need a different player, with different skills, no matter what, so dealing Cast and having to sign somebody else isn't a problem. It's actually what I want to happen. The Reds aren't getting a new player who helps the defense and diversifies the offensive skillset unless they move a contract. If India comes along and can play, that's not a problem By 2022, Shogo will be in his mid-30s and probably a bench player, or maybe Votto or Moose (one is already old and teh other is aging) and the Reds can figure out how to fit india on the team at that point.

The counter here is that right now they can probably still move the contract. If he has another bad year, the Reds will be stuck. I've given up on actually being able to egt any talent back. The Reds best opportunity to deal him is to a team that thinks he will rebound and want him for this year. They know he'll be opting out, so they'll view him as a rental and the return won't be much. If he has a bad or mediocre year in 2021, nobody is taking those final two years of the deal.

The Reds need a different player, with different skills, no matter what, so dealing Cast and having to sign somebody else isn't a problem. It's actually what I want to happen. The Reds aren't getting a new player who helps the defense and diversifies the offensive skillset unless they move a contract. If India comes along and can play, that's not a problem By 2022, Shogo will be in his mid-30s and probably a bench player, or maybe Votto or Moose (one is already old and teh other is aging) and the Reds can figure out how to fit india on the team at that point.
    This off-season won’t be the only opportunity to move Castellanos’ contract. It’s actually a terrible time in baseball to dump salary. There will be other opportunities.

Unless Reds have DJ LeMahieu all signed on the dotted line, I don’t think this gambit is going to work and I’d hope and expect Nick will have a good 2021.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-21-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Castellanos was unlucky, not bad. His overall line should have been somewhere along 275/350/525 (IIRC).

Shrug.

Odd things happen in 60 games.
    I still would consider Castellanos a trade candidate even if I expected him to bounce back offensively. His defense and his refusal to play any other position than RF makes him expendable. That said, I don’t consider it necessary to move him, just to see what he could bring back.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I still would consider Castellanos a trade candidate even if I expected him to bounce back offensively. His defense and his refusal to play any other position than RF makes him expendable. That said, I don’t consider it necessary to move him, just to see what he could bring back.
    Exactly where I am.

It's one thing to 'hide' Winker or (assuming he'd accept a move there) Castellanos defensively in LF. But an outfield with Castellanos in RF and Winker in LF constitutes a MAJOR issue defensively, even with prime Garry Maddox patrolling CF.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

18. Likes:

757690 (10-21-2020),REDREAD (10-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Exactly where I am.

It's one thing to 'hide' Winker or (assuming he'd accept a move there) Castellanos defensively in LF. But an outfield with Castellanos in RF and Winker in LF constitutes a MAJOR issue defensively, even with prime Garry Maddox patrolling CF.
    Are you assuming there's no DH in the upcoming season?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Are you assuming there's no DH in the upcoming season?
    No, I’m assuming Nick C. doesn’t opt out and Votto’s defense continues to decline, precipitating a full time move to DH for Votto during Nick C’s tenure with the team.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?